Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

stretch and sweep?

Well im now 3 days overdue and im booked to see midwife tomorrow at 2pm for an antenatal check and to perform a sweep if my cervix is favourable. Is it likely to work?
I had a sweep when i was 5 days over due with Tegan and she was born the following evening, but i had been having mild cramps/contraction since the evening before the sweep so i think labour was iminnant (sp?) anyway. where as this time ive had no signs of labour being anytime soon at all, was just wondering what your experiences were... Also if its more likely to work with second babies than first babies...any advice would be great. Thanks

Hannah 40+3 xxx

Replies

• Options
    H hannah, i never had a sweep with my first, but i did with my second and like you i had no signs at all Nothing i was 3 days over had my sweep around 10am and at 6.30pm my waters broke, fingers crossed it gets things moving for you xx

Danielle

39 + 4
  • Options
    hi hun i had a sweep with my first but was already 2cms dialated so maybe thats why it worked for me, as ur overdue ur cervix should be in the best position and condition for the sweep to work so fingers crossed xxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    did the sweep work?? im booked in for one on thursday if nothing happens on its own before then! was it really uncomfortable? xx

Nic 39+5
  • Options
    Hello image
    Midwife didn't give me all the details but she managed to perform it and said she could feel babys head, which i guess is something.
    I started having contractions y'day at 5ish i think that carried on till 7.30 and then re-started at 10ish and stopped at 3am, they were lasting about 40secs and i was having them every 3-4 mins so i thought something was happening but nothing ever did. Have had a few today but they havnt been so bad, so im not sure wether they could be braxton hicks or not? Will update if anything happens soon...
    *nic* The sweep was uncomfortable and quite painful but as soon as it was over i was fine again, so i would defo recommend having one if it means starting labour! Good Luck!! image

Hannah 40+5 xxx
  • Options
    *nic* my sweep (yesterday) just felt like bad period pain while she did it, then the pains carried on all day as a constant dull ache, and today have been more on and off. I did have a massive show today though - so I guess that's something. Good luck with it, like Hannah says, if it gets bubba here sooner, it's well worth it!

Good Luck everyone!

Nx
    40+3
  • Options
    im due for a sweep next fri if nothing happens before then, am due weds,can someone tell me exactly what happens aND if it really does hurt or just uncomfortable?not looking forward to it image
    this is my 2nd child but 1st time round didnt hav a sweep x
  • Options
    does hurt, but as my doc an mw said anyone who says it doesnt, basically didnt have a sweep, its a strong period pain in your pelvis, deep inside an can be almost unbearable purely because of the pressure, but its over within a couple of mintues, best thing is to close your eyes an try an focus on breathing deaddd deep in an out this will relax the muscles a lil more making it a better sweep, try starting the breathing before they start! good luck sweet

hugs
    leea
    xxxx
    http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/24/2413/241327.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/car114py___.png

• Options
    yeah sorry but it does hurt but hey ur gonna give birth soon so incomparrison its nothing!!!! be prepared take a pad with u as u can get bloody show/discharge very soon after xxxxxx