Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Home births

Any body having/had one?

I really want one but DH was against it, but last night he said he quite likes the idea now! I'm really excited and can't wait to see the midwife again to discuss my options.

This is number 3, no.2 was only 6 hours long, and I only used gas and air.

The worst part of labour is staying in hospital afterward, really like the idea of being able to sleep i my own bed after.

Replies

• I had a home birth and I really recomend it, it was such a relaxed atmosphere because everything is so familiar and comfortable. I just used gas and air and there were no problems with my labour or the baby because I was very relaxed. Good luck xxxx
  • Hi,

I had my last 2 babies at home, i can't recommend it enough, it's fantastic!!
    My first 2 were born in hospital and i muched prefered it at home and my partner also prefers it that way too.
    He wasn't sure when i first mentioned it to him with our 3rd but after him agreeing to that when it came to my 4th, he didn't want me to go into hospital. My last baby also weighed 10lb 4oz and i just had gas and air and i'm only little (well not anymore lol), so it can be done!!
    You don't have any worries of waking anybody elses baby up or theirs waking yours and as lu007 said it's the comfort of your own home and surroundings that make it a great relaxing place to give birth, with no equipment and docs popping in every 2 mins.
    Get your midwife to explain to your partner, If you want to know anymore just ask.

good luck xxxx
  • Thank you ladies, spoke to him about it again last night and the more he learns the more he likes the sound of it. Gonna get some more info from the midwife, but never fear if I have any questions I will ask!
  • Hi I'm sorry if anyone has read this before but my home birth was the best day of my life!
    My 1st 2 were in hospital (only because my 1st was 14 days overdue so I had to be induced and I had low loying placenta with my 2nd) and it was awful so we were so thrilled when we had my daughter at home. She is 1 next week and I still get excited thinking about her birth.
    Where do you live? I am one of 3 people in our local areas who holds a home birth group and it is especially great for dads who hear all the pros and just for any questions. Maybe there is one near you?
    My husband could talk for ever on how wonderful a home birth is!
    The big difference for me was that I was so excited about the labour and birth this time knowing that it would be at home.
    Your last one was out in no time anyway so there probably isn't much point even thinking of going to hospital. Why leave the comfort of your own home?
    Hope you both decide to go for it xx
  • I live in Swindon.

I am only 17 weeks but so looking forward to the birth this time! this is going to be my last so I would like everything how I always intended the other 2 to be, but we moved house both times, moving in less than a week to their due it just wasn't a viable option.

I have the surestart MW coming round next week so hope fully she will be able to offer some advice, then if you aren't near me they may be some HB coffee mornings.
  • Hi I am in Kent so a bit too far but you could also contact the NCT and see if they have any home birth groups locally as they are probably more likely to than the hospital who usually don't have the resources. Our groups are NCT.
    I know exactly how you feel as my 3rd was probably my last (although the birth was so fantastic I am tempted to have another just for the same again!). It really has made a difference having such a positive experience as I believe that your birth experiences stay with you forever. It is great that you are looking forward to the birth already. I already had 2 boys and knew I was having a much wanted girl which made it even more special.
    Would you have a water birth? I loved being in the pool and didn't need any other pain relief.
    Anyway, just write again if you want any support. x
  • hi ya... have you spoken to your mw and got some info from her.... i really want a home birth with this on.. its my third and oh was dead against it.. mainly he was worried incase something went wrong... but once the mw explained to him that once I call them to tell them I am in labour they call ambulance control to put them on stand by incase I do need to be transfered and they will be there within minutes... and they no what signs to look for so they can get me transfered asap if needed..... my main concern is that i wont get to hosptial on time with this one as my second labour was really quick... I had my first tightening at 720pm not a painful contraction they started at 9pm/// i was admitted to hopsital at 1050 to be told I was 3 cm dilated and baby was born an hour later!!!!!

there is a site that gies details about home births I will see if I can find it for you x

arg where in kent are you??? I am in east sussex about 30 - 40 mins from tonbridge x
  • The Surestart MW is coming round on wednesday so hopefully she'll have some info, I don't get to see my own MW till 1st may!
  • i'm hoping for a water birth, it's my first but i've had a problem free pregnancy image i would've considered a water birth at home but me n oh live with his parents at the moment & they annoy me enough with baby stuff so i'm seeing going into hospital as a chance for me n oh to bond with lo before we get hounded!!! main reason i've put a ban on visitors apart from oh & his daughter!! lol
    hope you have a successful home birth image

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/1;20750;42/st/20080421/dt/6/k/fc61/preg.png

• Hi - I had a home birth with my 3rd and it was a lovely experience. I was going to with my 2nd but like you moved house around the time baby was due. I labour very quickly, 3 1/2 hours with my 1st and just over the hour with my 2nd so a home birth this time was the only option, good job too as it was just over 30 mins and yes the midwife did get there in time - just!! Being able to relax in your own - clean - bath and sleep in your own bed was a real bonus aswell.
    Good luck xx
  • i thought about a water birth too, but decided against it as only have a lounge and ktichen diner downstairs adn there really isnt the room.... if I put the pool up in advance for birth then I owuldnt be able to move... plus I have a golden retriever and I have visions of him also trying to get in it!!! lol

Sibles.... I am a bit like you.... my second labour was very quick... i had my first tightening at 720pm, my first painful contraction at 9pm went into hosptial at 1050 to be told I was 3 cm dilated and I gave birth at 0014... so I am worried that I wont make it to the hosptial this time......
    but mine were for the same reasons as you... getting into your own bed at the end of it... plus I didnt really enjoy my stay in the hosptial and it is nice to think you can close the door to the mw when they leave and not have anyone just checking on ya!!!

• i thought about a water birth too, but decided against it as only have a lounge and ktichen diner downstairs adn there really isnt the room.... if I put the pool up in advance for birth then I owuldnt be able to move... plus I have a golden retriever and I have visions of him also trying to get in it!!! lol

Sibles.... I am a bit like you.... my second labour was very quick... i had my first tightening at 720pm, my first painful contraction at 9pm went into hosptial at 1050 to be told I was 3 cm dilated and I gave birth at 0014... so I am worried that I wont make it to the hosptial this time......
    but mine were for the same reasons as you... getting into your own bed at the end of it... plus I didnt really enjoy my stay in the hosptial and it is nice to think you can close the door to the mw when they leave and not have anyone just checking on ya!!!

• I did think about a home waterbirth but it costs way more than I can afford to hire one, and I have images of my cats clawing the sides! since I'm due 27th August I was going to look at getting a high sided paddling pool LOL or just using the bath!
  • yeah opaddling pool is a good ida... i got a high sided one got it end of august in sales.... shoulda have been ??70 and got it for ??25... but I still dont have room as it a 10ft one and my loung is 16ft by 14 ft....

i was thinking of using a bath.....
  • Hi Tiger feet - I am near Bluewater in Kent! I have just noticed that you are due today, how exciting, you could even be in labour now! My home birth was on 26th March last year so I am getting all excited thinking about it again as it comes up to lo's 1st birthday!
    Me and hubbie were actually on the computer trying to contact BT who had chosen that day to disconnect and it was 2 weeks before they reconnected us and we were able to email birth announcements!! anyway, as I stood up my waters gushed all over the chair and floor...but it was still so exciting being at home rather than hospital.
    Hope you have a good one, at home and we get to hear about it xx