Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

Group B Strep

Have just been told i have developed group B strep and i really wantd a home birth. Need some information on whats happened with regular people, rather than the health care professionals. Anybody been through it and still had baby at home? i have a 4 year old daughter as well and i had a 5 hour labour with no problems, so am worried this time round as have an hour drive to the hospital, also been told might not even get to hospital on time to get the antibiotics.
Help me!!!!:\?

Replies

• Hi I am too GBS, i have a 2 year old son, had no problems with his labour and delivered within 3 hours from arriving at hospital.

I was told i was GBS at start of this pregnancy and that i cant have a homebirth due to it. I hate hopsitals and at first hated the though of having to stay in for up to 3 days, BUT as time has gone on i have accepted that this is the best place to deliver baby. If you really want a home birth discuss it with the MIdwife, it can be done but you would have to have the antibiotics then go home and due to the distance of your hospital its unlkely you would make it home, plus there are risks after taking the antibiotics.

Sorry, its probably not what you wanted to hear

Fiona 39+5 x
  • Hi I am too GBS, i have a 2 year old son, had no problems with his labour and delivered within 3 hours from arriving at hospital.

I was told i was GBS at start of this pregnancy and that i cant have a homebirth due to it. I hate hopsitals and at first hated the though of having to stay in for up to 3 days, BUT as time has gone on i have accepted that this is the best place to deliver baby. If you really want a home birth discuss it with the MIdwife, it can be done but you would have to have the antibiotics then go home and due to the distance of your hospital its unlkely you would make it home, plus there are risks after taking the antibiotics.

Sorry, its probably not what you wanted to hear

Fiona 39+5 x
  • I had group b strep in my preganacy, it was no problem as had the antibiotics and all was fine. However the reason i was told no home birth is because if they suspect baby has gbs then baby needs specilist care very quickly, also if u dont get all your antibiotics in they will give them to baby which again would require hospital care.

Apart from the GBS i had a very straight forward birth in the birthing unit and was allowed home 24hrs after delivery (they made me stay to assess bubs).

I know its not what u wanna hear and GBS isnt really bad if treated but it can be fatal for your baby if the right care isnt in place.

xxx