Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

3rd pregnancy - home birth

hi every1
i am pregnant with my third child and have decided to have a home birth.
It is the first time home birthing for me. has anyone had a homebirth?
i am really interested to know how it went? was it a pleasent experience? would you say it was better than being in hospital?
i had my first 2 in hospital but i hated it, all the midwives and doctors interfearing and telling you what to do. just the thought of going to hospital causes me much distress.
any tips on coping with the pain? i had epidurals with my first 2.
also i was thinking about hiring a tens machine. has any1 used a tens machine? would you say they are any good?
Thanks

Replies

• I bought a tens machine off ebay as it was the same price to hire one, I'm going to sell it on afterwards too.. I've got to say I loved it!! I had labour pains for 5 days and I had it attached for 3 days & tbh I don't think I would've coped for so long without it! midwifes kept telling to take it off and have a bath but I wouldn't..lol :\) are you going to hire a birthing pool? don't forget you can still have gas/air & pethadine at a home birth, so it doesn't have to be totally pain relief free. good luck! :\)
  • thanks for the reply!
    no im not going to hire a birthing pool. i dont know why but i dont really like the idea not only that i dont think my house is big enough to accomodate one! yes i know you can have gas and air and pethadine (had pethadine before and it made me really sick!) good idea about buying a tens machine and selling it on!!
    i totally sympathise about the 5 days of labour pains!! my last baby was the wrong way round (face up instead of down, not breech) i was in agony and in full labour for 5 days because the back of his head was stuck on my spine. I was screaming so loud in the hospital the midwives were telling me to be quiet because i was upsetting the other labouring women!!
  • This is my third baby too. I'd love to have it at home but as my first 2 were induced at 13 days overdue, so im not pinning my hopes on a home birth. Also my OH says im not allowed to put a pond in the living room!
    I had a TENS machine with my second and pretty much forgot to use it cos she only took 1 hr 30 mins- when i did put it on, i whacked it up to full blast and it really distracted me from the pain. i know thats not how you're supposed to use it but it worked for me and i put OH in charge of the boost button which he liked! Will definitely try one again.

[Modified by: sarah83 on January 26, 2007 12:31 PM]