Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

sweeps? how effective are they?

just wondering as i had one today [im 39+4] and ive been having quite sore cramps all evening, they have no real pattern etc but wondering if any of you ladies had a sweep then how long till you went into labour if at all? xxxx

Replies

• Ive got 3 kids, My youngest being 8 weeks, I had 6 sweeps with her and the last one worked, which didn't really matter as I had a section in the end lol, With my second my little boy I had 4 or 5 and none worked, I think it just depends on if you are dialating yet and if your cervix has softend, It works for some and not for others, Hope that helps x
  • i had 2 sweeps, neither worked, in the end i was 3 days on the induction ward!
  • I'm at the same stage as you and also had a sweep today! (39+5 according to notes although I think 39+2).

Had one with my first LO and starting having mild contractions within 12 hours. Waters broke after 36 hours, and she was born within 48 hours.

Pooping my pants about it but hoping this one will have the same effect! Good luck, us!
  • thanks for the replys ladies, didnt realise it but i was actually in active labour when i posted this! LOL baby Lucie Eva Jane was born on the 23rd [6 hours after this post went up] and we are both great. So thumbs up from me on sweeps! LOL
  • LOL I was just going to post that I had sweep at 39 weeks at 10 am ish in the morning and I had given birth at 8:17am the next day!! x
  • I was very unsure if a sweep would work but by God it done the trick! not sure if id have another though, prefered going on my own first time round but the sweep def worked second time!