Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

castor oil

Hi, just wondering if anyone has tried this? i've been told it works but you should only take 1 spoon full mixed in with orange juice to disguise the taste.has anyone had any eperience with this? it's about the only thing i've never tried. :\) x

Replies

• thanks for replying. i'm seeing the consultant on monday so i'm hoping they will induce me anyway but if not i might give it a go. x
  • Hi
    If you ask any midwife, they'll recommend you don't do this. It can cause severe tummy upset resulting in dehydration-the last thing you need if going into labour! It can also apparantly cause stress for the baby xxx
  • tempting as it sounds i dont fancy being sick and having the runs lol
  • Hi I used it with my 3rd as I desperately wanted a home water birth and my first 2 were 14 days (induced) and 11 days late. I did a lot of reading up on it before taking it and only took 1 spoonful when I was 3 days overdue - took it at 12 midday, was on the loo 1/2 hr later and had cramps and more trips to the loo all afternoon, contractions in the evening that stopped, a fantastic nights sleep, a trickle of waters breaking in the morning, another lovely lunchtime nap, a huge gush of the rest of the waters at 15.30 and lo was a wonderful birth in the pool at home at 18.02! So, it worked for me but I do believe that it only helps if baby is ready to come out. Also, no-one will sell pregnant women castor oil but if you send oh make sure he has a reason for buying it too as they asked my hubby who it was for - he said his mum!! Good Luck xx
  • iv never had it but have always been curoise to what it does so if u do go ahead with the idear make sure u tell me how u it went xxxx
  • There was alot that the midwives used to advise though that they don't anymore (liver being a big one!)-hence chemists not selling it to pregnant women. The harm that it can do to the baby is as a result of the stress that it puts your body under I think, so I'd def not go for it. Baby will come whe it's ready-I know it's easy to say when I'm not 40 plus weeks, but there's a reason labour hasn't started yet so I'd listen to your body xx
  • hi just an update. i won't be using it anyway now, i won't have the chance. got to have a c-section in about a week just waiting for our appointment to come threw. baby seems big and he's breech. not to worried because i know it's best. just nervous about recovery. with two other children one's 5 and the others 2 it's going to be hard. lucky i've got a good man by my side. hope your all going along well xx
  • Good luck honey, hope all goes well xx