Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

Breech Baby

Hi ladies,

My baby at is in breech position, i am 30 weeks at the mo and the consultant said that when i am about 35-37 weeks i will go for a scan to confirm the position, if babe is still in breech then i may have a ECV (External Cephalic Version)
I was just wondering if any mums who have given birth had this done, what it was like and if it was successful?

Fern
xxxx

Replies

• Hi don't worry too much at this stage, all of my 3 were breech until after 36 weeks and turned (although the last 2 came out back to back - they obviously got a bit confused as they were turning!).
    There are pros and cons to ecv - if it works great, but there are risks involved and there is also always the possibilty that he/she could turn back to breech anyway.
    How do you feel about the birth? Are you a natural birth person or don't really mind?
    I was desperate for a home water birth this time after 2 forceps deliveries and if she had stayed breech I still would have had her at home!!
    As I said though, there is plenty of time yet xx
  • Lily was a breech baby. I spent lots of time on my hands & knees with my bum in the air and bounced on a gym ball and the awkward devil refused to turn. I had an ECV at 37 weeks which didn't work, but I'm glad I gave it a try. It wasn't exactly painful, but was uncomfortable - a bit like having chinese burns on your bump. The consultant I had was great and she didn't force it and said I could tell her to stop at any time. The actual turning procedure only took a few minutes - as I said they don't continue to force it if baby doesn't want to move. I was monitored before and afterwards. There is a risk it can bring on labour and you'd have to go for a section, but I so much wanted a natural waterbirth that I was prepared to give it a go. Even though it was unsuccessful if I was in the same situation again I would still try it.
    In the end I ended up having a section at 39 weeks which went really well and the whole thing was quite a positive experience.
    At 30 weeks you still have plenty of time for baby to turn, but if it remains in breech position stay positive and it can still be a wonderful experience.
    Good luck.
  • Hello,

Thank you both for your replies. I would like a natural birth but either way i don't really mind as long as i can hold my babe at the end of it. I have a gym ball so i'm trying different things, if i have to have a c-section i won't be to disappointed as it would be the safest option.

Fern
    xxxx
  • Hi dont mean to intrude, but i'm 34+2 and my baby is breech, head at top and was wondering what happens now?? i go back in two weeks and she said if still breech will send me to hospital , but what happens there?? will they try to turn him then and if not offer me c-section or will they leave me?? thanks sara
  • At the hospital they'll give you a scan to confirm the baby's position. If still breech they'll discuss your options - they won't attempt to turn baby if you're not in agreement with it and the decision is entirely yours. If you decide to go with an ECV this is usually done around 37 weeks and they'll arrange for you to come in on another day. If you decide you don't want to go for an ECV they may arrange a date for a section - again this is your choice as many people have given birth naturally to breech babies. Whatever you decide you'll be scanned before any procedures just to check on baby's position.
  • My 3rd baby was breech. They did do an ECV at 37 weeks but it didnt work..and it was rather painful. I had lots of scans and at 38 weeks I went in to labour and when I got to the hospital the examined me and said I could give birth naturally.. I didnt feel any different to my previous births and I managed to do it with no apinrelief and no tears. They did want me to stand on my knees on the bed though so the baby would come down easier. hope it all goes well for you
  • Hello,

I'm 36 + 6 days and my baby is also breech. Like others have posted, at the hospital you will be offered either ECV or a c-section if baby has decided to stay put. They will list the pro's rather than the cons of ECV as doing a section costs them more money and does nothing for their statistics!

I did some swatting up on ECV and have decided it's not for me. However, the midwife at the hospital suggested acupuncture, which I've given a go (although the lazy thing didn't budge!). It's worth a try though. All they do is place something called 'moxi' near your little toes and it burns and smokes away. It looks like a big cigarette however I assure you it's not! I also gave homeopathy a whirl and was given pulsatilla tablets which can be taken safely up to 36 weeks (they also help with anxiety during labour). It didn't work but I'm glad I tried it.

I'm back at the hospital next week to see the consultant about what I'm going to do. I've also given the gym ball thing a go but I think baby's big bum is wedged tightly in my pelvis. As long as baby is comfortable and happy I don't care which way round it is!

Just remember you're what's important first, after all it's your body and baby's gotta come out one way or another! Wishing you lots of luck.

Sal;\)
  • hi my third baby was breech. he was 4 weeks early and it was about an hour labour shortest and most pain free by far. i only hope this time goes as well.
  • i'm 37 + 5 and my baby is breech and also back to back...have had a few scans and looooads of midwife apts but no1 has actually said they're going to do anything about it...have spent more time on my hands and knees than i have on my feet lately but nothing seems to be helping lol hmmm i'm not due to see anyone again til 39 + 2 so if he decides to make an early appearance i dunno what'll happen lol! x
  • hi all, me again, well my littleman has turned breech again i'm now 36+3 and going for a scan tommorow, i'm a bit confused as what is the right thing to do?? ecv sounds bad, c-section also scares me and so does the natural birth, i need to make decisions and hope they will give me time to think about it at hospital. sara xx