Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

Anyone gone past 42 wks before? (also in Preg)

I'm currently 41+3 and both me and bubs are doing well, as we have done throughout the entire pregnancy. I had scans (abdominal and internal vaginal) on Tuesday (41wks) at the prolonged preg clinic at the hospital and the results were above average for the blood flow/oxygen through the placenta and right on average to my baby's brain.

I had my first sweep on Monday (40+6) and my second sweep today (41+3). I've also tried all the natural ways of moving things along (birth ball, walking, sex / nipple stimulation, spicy foods, pineapple, clary sage & jasmine, accupressure massage and reflexology, hypno induction downloads).

At the end of the day, I know my baby will only come when HE is ready! Plus I was 3 wks late for my mum, as were 2 of my siblings, and my other sibling was 10 days late. So it's highly likely my baby is in no hurry.

My next appt at the prolonged preg clinic is Tuesday (42wks) where I will be scanned and monitored again - this will hapeen twice a week from 42wks. If everything is still going well with me and bub from the checks then I will continue on without intervention as I do not want to be induced unnecessarily as I am not fed up nor uncomfortable or in pain and therefore in no hurry to get this baby out if he isnt ready just yet. The hospital and also my independent midwives are supportive of this, given the scan results, both our health throughout my pregnancy, and my family history.

Im interested to hear if anyone else has been through a prolonged pregnancy where you and baby were not at risk at the 42wk mark and you kept going and went on to have a natural birth without intervention. How far did you go, how did you feel? Any words of encouragement or advice?

I have been using hypnobirthing and hope to use this for my birth regardless of how it turns out. So please no horror stories as I do not read these by choice (no offence meant to those who may have them, I just would rather not read these when Im about to give birth and I have deliberately not read any throughout my whole pregancy). I am aware that the risk of still birth can increase after 42 wks but this is why I will be monitored and if any results suggest deteroriation below a level deemed at risk then I will not refuse the induction route.

Thanks for reading.

x
41+3