Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility

TTC and work

Hello everyone,

I am going to start on clomid soon and as the date gets closer the more anxious I get about work and taking time off to go and do scans and check ups to see if I ov.

I know it's very silly, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice? I am growing more and more apprehensive at the thought of having to ask to start late in the morning after a scan, on top of all the time off I have taken recently to do blood tests, consultations etc...

Telling them that I am TTC is obviously not an option!!

Thanks for any advice you may have xxx

Replies

• Can you just say that you have an underlying medical issue that needs investigation and that you dont feel comfortable talking about it. If necessary you could offer to tell someone in HR as I think they have to keep it confidential?
  • Thank you for your reply.

I guess that's a good idea, I may say that. Worst case scenario I will check with the consultant at the clinic if there is anything else I can do.

I am wondering how everyone else copes with these 'practical' issues, they add more stress at a time where stress is the last thing you need!!

Thanks again and good luck! x
  • Hi

I have to say this is one of the things I stress most about. The culture at my place is a very hard working one where everyone works long hours and rarely goes sick.

I have just completed a round of IUI and I had to go for scans every other day. I was lucky enough to get very early morning appointments so I was able to pop to the hospital, get scanned, and still be in work by 9am (just...). If I was a little late I would blame traffic. Many fertility clinics offer early 7am appointments so I would push for one of those first.

My IUI treatment was mid morning so I had to take a morning as annual leave, which was fine. I have also had a "hospital appointment" which I have kept very vague and my boss didn't ask anything about it.

You have my sympathy as it is really very hard, but early appt times are a good way around it if this is an option for you.
  • hey,

i'm quite lucky with this one! i hadn't meant to blurt it out to my boss but it was jus before my wedding and i was incredibly stressed out about it all and burst into tears when my boss asked me to do a job for her! she was really kind about it all and we started talking about after the wedding and then trying for a baby and i cried even more telling her we were already trying for one and this was adding to my stress! i wasn't expecting so much support to be honest. she has been really great and every appointment i have she works the rota out so i can go to them, bless her she even brings me articles in for infertility! ha (much to my husbands embarrassment!)

i'm not saying this is the right route for you but i wasn't expecting the response i got but it has taken a huge pressure off us for wen we do have appointments to go to. i just tell her in advance and she sorts it out for me.

maybe going with what i want a baby said would be better for you, jus explain you have personal issues that are being investigated, ur not under any obligation to say what it is.

good luck xxx
  • Hiya,

thanks for your nice replies.

I don't think I have been in my job long enough for me to be honest about TTC. Hannah - you are very lucky to have such an understanding boss, mine isn't, she's hard working with no family (almost 60 so obviously no kids on the horizon!)and no partner/husband so she doesn't understand very much about issues like this.

AngelFish - I guess early appointments could be an option, at my clinic appointments are between 8.30 and 9.30am, however I guess I can ask as I have nothing to lose anyway!

Worst case scenario I make up some bizarre medical condition that needs to be investigated regularly!! image

Thanks again for your support and good luck! xxx
  • I would just say uv got some medical issue ud rather not go into that might mean u need some time off for hospital appointments, they should b fine with that Hun.

I'm quite lucky that most people I work with know after my mc I told them what happened and since then they know everything and are just as excited as I am about starting Clomid!!

Xxxx
  • Hi Faye,

Yeah, I think the mysterious illness that should be investigated is the right option for me.

Have you started taking clomid? my AF should be due any day and very excited to start too!

Mxx
  • Missmi5

I took my first tablet tonight! Very excited!

U should come join a few of us on the thread about proversa and Clomid. Few of us have just started Clomid on there Maisey has just got her BFP after two rounds, some of us have just started so theres a mix.

It's exciting times, I have my fingers crossed for u that Clomid works first cycle!!!

Xxxx