Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility

Frustrated - Doctors arghhhh!!

Hi all

Is it me or are doctors and referrals a bit of a lottery? I have been ttc coming up 6 months now, which I know isn't long in the grand scheme of things. However I have only had one period during that time, and never had periods before I went on the pill either.

Apparently I have loads of cysts on my ovaries, but my bloods came back normal. Therefore I need to wait at least a year before they will do anything.

The thing that annoyed me was she started telling me how I am so young (25) and I have loads of time so it doesnt matter when I get pregnant. I was so angry - my dad is going blind, so actually time is of the essence and just because I am in my twenties doesnt mean that it is less important to me than if I were older!!

Sorry just needed a rant and always feel a bit lost over in TTC when they start talking about 2 week wait etc

Replies

• I think some GPs aren't very gd, but Iv found most very helpful.

I think as you bloods came back out they know u don't have PCO or the syndrome, so they won't do anything till after a yr ttc. What contraception where u on before? As the pill and depo especially mess up for cycles for a while and can take some times a yr to sort.

6 months isn't really that long but I know how u feel even a month when ttc feels like forever. 15 months we have been ttc and that really does feel like a life time!!

Have u tried any herbal tablets? Agnus castcus is very gd for regulating AF, evening primrose tabs there are lots of other avenues to try before going down the medication route.

I know it can b frustrating hun, hopefully you fall soon

Xxxxx
  • Really understand your frustration. That said - I am afraid from what I have gathered you are going to have to wait for a year to have passed. I also hadn't had a period for six months when I came off the pill. However, I was diagnosed with PCOS through a blood test so have options in front of me immediately.

Try to not let the whole thing stress you out because, as you said, that doesn't help. It sounds like you've decided that you must have a baby before your father's eye sight goes. Whilst that is totally understandable it is a huge pressure to put yourself under. The loss of your Dad's sight is enough to cope with, let alone ttc. Hope you can vent out your understandable frustrations and then relax as best you can to help you get that BFP.
  • Aw thanks for the kind words. It wouldn't bother me so much if it was just the pill messing up my system- but unfortunately I have only had about five periods my entire life, which doesn't give me huge confidence for my fertility!!!
  • Morning!! My advice would be to try another doctor.

We got past a year trying and it took me 4 seperate apts over about 5 months to be taken seriously. I was always palmed off with your young (24) and it hasnt been long. I started asking at 13 months ttc and got referred at 18 months!!

The day we got referred i went into the apt with dh and the doc was fantastic, I dont know if he took us more seriously as we went together, worth a try.

Good luck, and dont give up on getting help. Its something thats there for you and when u get your foot in the door to the fertility clinic it seems they dont put up any more hurdles.

xxx

( I know what you mean about the TTC forum, i migrated my lurking over quite early as it wound me up everyone getting first month BFPs, bitter but true!!! :lol: )
  • ha ha baby bump so true last comments on first month bfp.

Hey there i would totally suggest get another gp im the surgery. Everyone should be judged on there own merits. . Not due To age as well. Some Dr will do more for you than others fact. . I have own personal experience. . Sometimes you have to fight to get what you want. . As its only you who can do it x x six months is still six months to wait for something you really want we all no how long the 2w w is lol. . Has your oh has sperm tests done? My advice would be pursue but then+again im a pest lol when i want something he he good luck x x
  • I hate hate hate the age thing!!!!

I know its easy to say..."oh, your young, you've got plenty of time", but we started ttc when we first got together when I was 30 and I'm now almost 33, so even getting help after 8 months ttc, its such a long, drawn-out process, by the time you feel like you're getting somewhere, they're starting to tell you that you're getting old. At 35+ some places refer to you as a geriatric mother!!!!

Thats probably not very helpful, I just wanted to be supportive and let you know you aren't being unreasonable asking for help in your mid-twenties. I worry that my children won't enjoy their grandparents as much as my older nieces and nephews, as my eldest niece is 18 in april and had young, agile, active grandparents. They'll both be over 60 by the time I have kids! What a silly thing to worry about!
  • Windy - that isn't a silly thing to worry about. I have similar thoughts. I am the youngest of a large family anyhow. My eldest nephew is only 12 but I do wonder the same thing. My Dad is 70 this year...