Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility

ideas on not panicking for blood tests??

hi ladies,

ive got to have a blood test next week, however i am very scared and not sure i can do it.

ive come a loooooooooong way with my phobia and can now cope up until the morning of the test. i used to be absolutley petrified but now i have some control over it. hubby and i are having ICSI in august!!! wooooohooo.

but

anyone have any ideas for calming my nerves on having it done??

i thought about calms (tablets) but they are only for sleeping, rescue remedy does not work. any ideas welcome pleaseeeeee !!!!

love stacey

Replies

• Gosh stacey Im not sure!!

I too have a bit of a fear of needs, but to be honest I just didn't think about it and when I did I just kept saying to myself.....if this helps me to have the baby I long for its worth it.

Thats the only thing i can suggest...sorry i know its not a very useful one!!!!

Good luck hunny

xxxx
  • hi,

I don't have a remedy but I too am very scared before any blood test, swaps, sonar etc I'd keep thinking I have all these kind of stuff. I search the net a lot and get very scared.

My last appointment I had a blackout moment where I felt like fainting bcoz of being very tense and scared :roll: the Dr told me never to come again without having breakfast :P

Just wanted to let you know ur not alone image I am trying my best not to search on the net.

I am to start ICSI soon once my SHG is clear (its a sonar with salt and water to check the uterus).

I always think of my goal... that all these tests so I can start treatment and have a lovely baby. That keeps me calm usually...

Goodluck xxx
  • I have a terrible needle phobia. It was the reason why I delayed going to the dr's when we had been trying for a long time as I knew they would want blood!

Its getting better as I seem to have had loads now, and I find that aslong as I lie down and have someone distracting me whilst its done Im ok. I stay laid down for a little while after and usually dont cry anymore :lol:

Try bachs rescue remedy (you can get it in most big chemists) and take it regulary a few hours before your test. It seems to work and as a bonus tastes like Brandy image

Good luck, just think of the outcome in the end image
  • Just a bizarre theory, but how about googling videos of blood sampling? Watching it over and over again?? If you've had bloods taken, you know it doesn't really hurt, just a sharp scratch and my period pains are worse than that (I should imagine child birth is 100x worse!!) So if its just psycological, watching it over and over again might help???
  • hey windy miller,

thank you for the idea but i don't think that would help, as the anxiety is emotional !! not the fact of having it done!! its the idea of ME going to have it done. i can watch others having it done and thats fine.

im about to ask my doctor to prescribe something for anxiety!! hopefully that will help!!!
  • Not sure if im late but thought I'd add what I do as I get so scared that my viens vanish so that have to keep jabbing at my arm for ages :cry:

The 2nd from most recent blood test I had my OH text me and told me to think about things that I like aka him and Christmas (test was 3weeks before christmas haha) It did help a little bit and I managed to only get tears in my eyes :lol:

Hope it goes well for you though and what ever the doc gives you works

• maybe too late now, gatecrashing actually, was a member of LTTTC a while back and Clomid did its magic for me and I have twins,

anyway

I used to be really bad with needles, fainted before they'd called my name, but you must just do it.

Tell them how frightened you are, make sure you lie down, don't look, talk about anything you can to keep your mind busy and it'll be over quickly and honestly it doesn't hurt that much, the thought is a million times worse.

have water & sugary snack beforehand.

Through my infertility treatment i had at least monthly blood tests and eventually you get used to it. My twins are well and truely worth it.

Good luck hun.