Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

HSG worries

Hello, i am booked in for an HSG this Wednesday and am dreading it like the plague. I have done the worst thing reading too many google reports on it and have worked myself up into a frenzy. I have had a vaginal ultrasound which was a doddle, numerous blood tests- again have no qualms over, but this is just really getting me down. I have tried speaking to hubby about how i am feeling and he is being as reassuring as possible but i feel like i want to cry everytime i think of it ( and the possibility my tubes are blocked). I have a daughter who is 6 and know that IVF is not an option on NHS for us, so if there is a blockage it really seems like it is all over. Will they tell me there and then? I have been getting increased pain whilst having periods, like nothing i have had before so just feel like they will find something not good because of this. Sorry to rant, just feel like i need to get it all off my chest. Thanks Sam :?

Replies

• Hi,

I had a HSG last year. I was a little nervous but tried to relax. I've read bad reports but for me personally it was a little uncomfortable during and I had cramps during and about an hour after (like really bad period pains) but nothing more. I took my hubby to drive but I probably could have driven home myself.

The consultant told me the results there and then. All was fine for me. In fact all tests show nothing wrong with either of us so why on earth are we not falling pregnant? We've been TTC no2 for 2and a half years now and I really wanted a 2 year age gap (she's 4 in June) so I get very upset each monthimage I tried 6 months of ov induction but this wasn't successful either. We are also self-funded so we've totally wasted ??3k in my eyes.

I won't bore you anymore with my story. Good luck on Weds. Try not to stress too much. Just think of it as a slightly more uncomfortable smear.
  • Hi thanks for the reply, i will try and relax about it. I am probably stressing more than i need to. Consultant said if they are clear he will put me on Clomid, so am hoping for the best. Who knew having baby number 2 was going to be so hard. Sorry you have spent so much money and have got no further forward, how frustrating for you. That is why we dedicded emotionally and financially we wont go down the IVF route. Good luck with everything x
  • Hi there. I had one of these in July 2009 when trying to conceive DD. It was quite painful and went on for quite a while BUT I think this was quite unsual - I have a tilted cervix and the radiographer had a bit of trouble getting the tube where it neeeded to be. I just tried to think of why I was doing it the whole time to keep me focused. They told me there and then that all was clear and it did help me conceive my daughter - it 'cleared' me out and I conceived a few days later when I ovulated. Good luck x
  • Hi,

I had a HSG last year and had some mild crampig pains during and after, but no where near as bad as my worst period pains. I had heard that if you have a blockage it can often "clear" you out. So good luck and try not to worry xx
  • Thanks everyone, i will keep positive and keep thinking about the 'clearing out' side of it as a way of conceiving. Will post on here after the event tomorrow and say how it went.
  • Good luck Sam and try not to worry. I wasnt looking forward to mine but it was really fine. A bit crampy and uncomfortable as the dye passed through but it really wasn't painful or as bad as I expected.
  • im waiting to be booked in for one of these! eeeek

our consultant said i have to ring when AF turns up, why is this? xx
  • hi dummy mummy curiosity got me and I googled hsg. wikipedia says the hsg is performed at follicle stage (just before ovulation if i'm thinking right... went to bed way too late and got up too early today)
  • Basically they want to make sure you arent pregnant already when they do it so best time is after you finish your period and before you ovulate next. There is really a small window of opportunity, so grab it while you can, at least it is the last piece of the puzzle ( i hope). From what i have read it is meant to increase your chance of conceiving so have to look at it that way. Don't know what else they might do if this shows up clear and i still am not conceiving, I think the consultant said he would try me on Clomid so we shall see!. x
  • Well it wasnt the most lovely experience of my life but i survived it. Tubes all clear. They are not giving me Clomid, they reckon as my cycle is regular and having now had this clear out i shouldget pregnant in the next three months. If after 6 months i dont, then CLomid. That is like torture, but will see how it goes. Good luck to everyone else trying and having to go down this difficult road. Sximage
  • So glad all is clear. I have definitely heard that you are more fertile for the three months after and it worked for me. Hope it's just what you needed. Good luck x
  • wow thats fab news hun. GL with the ttc from hereon!! xxx
  • Hope it works out for you and you don't have to go back for clomid