Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

caffeine verses decaffeinated both bad!?

I've been doing some research and I've found loads to say that too much caffeine can cause infertility (so out went the coffee,tea and diet coke and in came the decaf variety) I thought I was doing something good there but now I've found an article that says decaf can bring on miscarriage (h&b website)does anyone know where to get more information from on this

Replies

• Options
    Hi there

I'm not sure about the decaf causing miscarriages but I known that the caffeine is report to reduce blood to the uterus which is why it's best that us ladies ttc try to avoid it too much.

My hubby and I are waiting for our next appointment for PGD so we both limit our caffeine and our soft drinks now, however, we still drink de-caf.

Sorry I'm not much help am I?

V xx
  • Options
    Thanks for you reply ladybird

Is PGD a f/clinic?

I think I'm going to carry on with drinking decaf for now and I'll probably ask about it when we get closer to having treatment.

coffee is kind of a habit for me and I think if I was to give it up completely it might push me over the edge.

Do you know if theres any guidelines set for how many soft drinks you should have? I have cut down on these too maybe have 1 or 2 a week

k xx
  • Options
    hey ladies

i know caffeine is bad for you but i really need my cup of tea in morning n coffee while i'm at work. i think i'd explode if i didn't. i've already given up smoking which was soo hard to do, i hardly drink alcohol now either and this has been a 2 1/2 year thing. i still want a bit of a life!

i know there are all these articles out there proving certain foods/drinks etc can make you infertile but i think just so long as we have things in moderation we'll be ok.

i just think about these young girls that get knocked up while being rat ar"*d and drugged up to eye balls and here we are worrying too much about certain things....maybe thats where we're going wrong.! maybe this month i'll try by being absolutely hammered every night n see if that works hahah

i don't know anymore x
  • Options
    ww1 this was one of the things my oh was told to avoid after his poor sa. he drank (and does I actually need to speak to him about that again) a lot of red bull and he stopped drinking it after the first poor results in March and we were pg in June xxx
  • Options
    Hi G/C

The advice the midwives are giving to pregnant ladies is to limit it to a minimum. For example I am allowed up to 2-3 small cups of tea or coffee a day but a Starbucks latte would be the whole caffeine allowance as its freshly ground.

You have to add up the bits you take in through other sources like chocolate, coke etc.

I was also advised not to suddenly stop the caffeine because you can feel pretty rough and get lots of headaches. So easing off is best.

Its generally much better for your own health to limit caffeine too so there's a plus! image

Ironically the Midwife told me that if I ever noticed baby had not moved for a while the best way to stimulate her/him was to have a cold can of coke!

So long as I'm not doing this daily presumably! :lol:
  • Options
    Hi there

Wibble, pgd is pre genetic diagnosis. They check the embryo for chromosome abnormalities as we have one.

I think what the others are saying is generally right though. I think it's about moderation. We have a cup of caffeinated then stick to de caf. Soft drinks if you are drinkig diet have aspartame in them so I would again have maybe one or two a day and try and stick with water.

Hope that helps.

V x x