Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility

IVF is it too early

hi ladies,

just wanted some advise. DH and I have been trying for 18 months now and are really struggling to keep this going.

We have had various test recently all of which have lucky come back positive. Dr's now have said that since tests result are good, we should just continue to try naturally.

We are considering IVF privately and am not sure if it is too soon?

Is there anyone else going through a similar situation or have any advise?

Replies

• rb28

Me and hubby has been trying 20 months ish. I personally would think it would be a bit too early especially as there are still things they can try before going down the ivf route, clomid, lap and dyes, overian drilling, ICI....lots of other things to try before going straight into IVF. I could be wrong but i would have thought there would be other options before IVF if they haven't been tried already.

I personally wouldn't and haven't considered IVF yet as there is still so much more to try. People with no fertility problems at all fall pregnant after a year 2 years etc etc. So i think i personally would try other options instead.

But thats just me. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Hi RB28,

Is it worth just getting a private consult, if you're thinking of going private? Seeing what they can suggest for you?

I know its horrible waiting, but there are ups and downs - I'm on a down right now, but, hey! Tomorrow I might be positive again, so it could be worth waiting a bit longer?

Windy x
  • Hi FAYE1983

Thanks for your message. I have had the Lap and dye which too came back clear.

Im just so confused and IVF kind of feels like the easy options given the likely success rates.

I have booked an initial consultation and will take it from there.

Have you done any tests or are you sticking to trying naturally.

Rita x
  • Hi Windy

Thanks for your message

Yes is definitely a tough journey me too have my ups and downs i tend to feel really positive every month then am devastated as soon as AF comes round.

How long have you been ttc. I have booked a private consultation as NHS is just not working for me. Hopefully this will make the decision easier.

Thanks

Rita xx
  • Hiya,

Can I ask how old you both are?? I ask coz I think it makes a difference as to how long you wait.

I do agree that the NHS say 2 years for a reason, and 80% of couples will conceive in this time. Having said this I know how hard it is - we have been ttc for 2 years and 4 months and were diagnosed with unexplained infertility - this sounds like what you may be diagnosed with if all the tests have come back ok.

My advise would be to wait for a bit longer and see what the NHS can offer before you jump straight to IVF - this is not an easy option and involves lots of fertility drugs with side effects. We are just about to embark on IUI which they advise for couples like us and is not as invasive.

Either way - Good luck! x
  • Hey there

bit of my input hope you don't mind x

i agree with unexplained could be case of keep trying unfortunately

if there is no known issue. . A pain i no especially when we want a baby like yesterday lol. . However saying that if you can get on some kind of waiting list i can't see the harm. . Hoping you conceived in the mean time. . But as a ivf goer myself due to start second it is not a walk in the park. . Like other ladies said if there was another option for US yo would sure try it before this one. . Lots of needles scans and side effects. . Not to put you off cos the end result being positive would be worth it he he he(better bloody work this time around! Lol)

my advice would be to maybe chart ovulation. . Etc speak to doctor maybe bout iui?. . Im sure your bfp will be round corner chick x x home
  • I have been talking with the duofertility monitor people - they are really clued up and very helpful. Sounds like you'd fit their money back guarantee also. I personally think it looks fabulous and saves you an awful lot of money in the long term. image
  • rb28, only you know what is right for you. If you feel that you want to try IVF now, then go for it.

We have been trying for #2 for two years and we already tried to start IVF. Unfortunately, I had to abandon this time because down-regulating took longer than expected and the delays meant that I might have to miss an important family wedding. However, we are planning on trying again when [or if] AF arrives this month.

I didn't want to wait and emotionally could not wait any longer and when I talked to the consultant, he advised three attempts at IUI [we're also unexplained] and then to go for IVF. But he did also say, with any fertility treatment, it was better to do it sooner rather than later to give the best possible odds for a positive outcome.

Good luck.
  • Hi all

Thank you all for your messages, i have an IVF consultation at the end of the month so will see how it goes from there.

I know your all in the same boat but I just want to happen now heheheh

jonzemonkey, we are both 29 we originally pregnant within 2 cycles and when on to miscarry, so now getting more and more concerned and inpatient as months go by. DH has been doing his research and believes IVF is the way forward..

Munchie78uk, im using the duofertility monitor. Its good at tracking my temperatures but not its doing much more than that. I have 28/30 cycles so can roughly predict my ovulation so don't really feel its helping me too much. I'm going to get in touch with one of their advisors and see if they have any other feedback.