Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Acupuncture and fertility

Hi all,

I have been feeling very anxious recently about ttc along with other personal issues in my life, and I am thinking of starting acupuncture to help de-stress me but also because I have heard that it can help hormone related fertility issues. My cycles are becoming erratic and my lp is getting shorter. Fertility testing had begun but as I am sure most of you are aware, it is taking a long time to get all the tests done and get appts etc etc and I want to do something to try and help myself.

So anyway, I have an appointment booked next week to see a local acupuncturist. Has anyone had any experience with acupuncture and ttc, or know of any success stories.

Thanks

******************UPDATE*********************

Well I decided to go ahead with the acupuncture...and I am so glad that I have! I have had 3 sessions so far, one which was the initial consultation, the other two were actual treatment sessions. I have already seen major improvements in how I feel and how my body is reacting.

1. My luteal phase for the past year has been getting shorter and shorter. It hasn't been 14 days for over a year now, and for the past 4 months it was 11 days, 11 days, 11 days, 10 days. This month (after 2 sessions of acupuncture) it was bang on 14 days.

2. My af (for the last 18 months) only usually lasts 1 and a half - 2 days of actual red bleeding with up to 9 days of brown spotting after the red bleed finishes. The acupuncturist said that she would be aiming to extend the red bleeding time so that everything was cleared out properly rather than coming out in dribs and drabs. This month I have had 3 days of red bleeding. I have only just finished this part so I will update next week about whether the brown spotting has improved or not.

3. I suffer quite badly from IBS and experience extreme constipation (only going to the toilet once every 4-5 days) and abdominal cramping. Since I started the treatment I have been going to the toilet everyday and I haven't had one IBS related cramp.

All in all, I am very pleased with how it is going so far and I have to say that I already feel much calmer and de-stressed...even hubby has noticed!!!

Replies

• BibbyBobby, my SIL conceived after 10+ years of trying and put it down to acupuncture [her issue was down to thryoid problems].

However, I have been having acupuncture since February and I'm still waiting for my BFP. We are secondary unexplained though and my cycles are, by all accounts, pretty textbook but acupuncture is all about balancing the body so if your issues are down to imbalance it could well help you. I have carried on with it as I found it relaxed me and my acupuncturist is almost like a counsellor to me, too.

Good luck.
  • Thanks for your reply. I possibly have a thyroid problem which might be responsible for the erratic cycles and anxiety but I am waiting for test results to come back so I will know more in a few days. I have to say that I am really looking forward to my first acupuncture session, mainly just so that I can get away from reality for an hour! It will also be nice to speak to someone impartial about my fertility issues. Hubby gets annoyed with me when I keep going on about lack of baby! He says I'm being too pessimistic!!!! :roll:
  • Hi. I have been going every fortnight for a few months now. I enjoy the sessions but no BFP yet. Good luck with it. xXx