Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

A HSG question

Hi ladies.

I have my HSG soon. I have told my boss its pending. She asked if I was out for a part day or if I'd be needing a whole one so she can sort out cover for my class. She's very nice and I'd regard her as a friend (she's heard lots of whining from me about this TTC journey over Friday drinks) so I don't mind being upfront about it all with her. Can anyone tell me what the answer is? Will it be a part day or a full day job? Will I feel up to work afterwards. As you've probably guessed I'm a teacher (to my lovely 4 year olds with special needs) so sometimes a little physical. Thanks for reading. BBBB

xXx

Replies

• When I had mine I probably could have gone back to work but I didn't! I'd personally ask for the day just in case.

It wasn't as bad as I was expecting and the only bit that hurt was when the dye went in and it was about 30 seconds of instand and intense period pains but it goes instantly once it had flushed through.

One bit of advice, do not have sex after your period before the hsg or they will refuse to do it in case there is a chance you're pregnant (ironic I know) xxx
  • I took pain relief and went straight into work afterwards. But I work in a small place and everyone knows what is going on, so I could whinge away! But I only had af-type twinges. Good luck x
  • I went back to work too hun, took painkillers and carried on working at the hospital!
  • Thanks everyone. I think I will try to get back in to work afterwards. I'll need enough time off soon if it turns out we need treatment image

I have horrendous AFs anyway so I expect nobody will notice if I can't stand up and look as white as a ghost anyway :lol:
  • Hi, the procedure only takes a minute. I didnt have any pain whatsoever, just a bit of pressure when dye went in. I had booked day off but ended up going into work, was a waste of a day! Good luck, its nothing to worry about xx
  • Hi ladies just a quick question is everone given a HSG if they are having trouble conceiving? I've had 21 day bloods done but I haven't been offered a HSG.

There was an issue with DH's 1st SA so he's doing his re-test today. They haven't said to me about anymore tests. Will I be offered one if I have to go down the assisted conception route?

Sorry to g/c your thread BBBB x
  • Hi Loopy I'm going down the assisted fertility route, so far all I've had done is day 3 and 21 bloods and I have to repeat them as my Gp did them from 2 different cycles and the clinic want them from the same cycle.

I go next week for the day 3 test and they are also checking my AMH and rubella immunity. The nurse at the clinic told me they like to have there own set of results as each clinic/hospital test slightly differently. I wouldn't worry that you haven't had a hsg yet,I was starting to worry that it hadn't been offered to me. I was reassured that I'd get one before we start any kind of treatment.

With it being a male factor infertility for us everything has been all about him up until now and until they know all about the lead patient at our clinic they don't start investigating the partner :roll:
  • Hi wibblewobble1 thanks for the response. I've only had the CD21 bloods done so far, I haven't even been offered the CD3!

DH did his 2nd SA today so just waiting until a week on Thursday until we get the results and find out where we stand.....so nervous!

Hope everything is going well with you and your treatment x
  • I wouldn't worry about not having had the tests done yet, once you get referred your consultant will sort everything for you

It's a really slow process at the minute, they've just started my investigations so it'll be a couple of months until I get the results... thats the nhs for you
  • Hi wibblewobble1 I'm worrying about how long we're going have to wait too. I'll going to price going private to see if we could afford it, I suppose it will depend on what treatment we will need. Since I've turned 30 I feel in a massive rush to get pregnant as soon as possible, I feel as if my time is running out to have a family (even though it's most probably not) but can't help feeling anxious about it.

I see you're going to San Francisco how exciting!! x
  • Hi, Ive had tests for recurrent mc and ive gone private, thats why I got all tests. I know that NHS vary with what they offer so I would ask for one. They didnt offer my friend one so she has gone back. If you google HSG you will see that there is good success rates with conceiving afterwards. Its suppose to clear your system out. xx
  • I turn 30 next week image a few months ago I was in a major rush to get pregnant but it's out of my hands now and I've come to terms with that.

I also checked out private prices for icsi I'd be looking at around ??5000 a cycle (if you know the clinic your going to you can usually get a price list on their web site)

I may be able to have iui (bit of a long story there)but that still costs around ??1000 a go

I don't want to stop living to pay for a bfp just yet so we're having a holiday instead. If I'm no further this time next year then I may start to save. We just needed something to look forward to after the year we've had.
  • wibblewobble1 I don't blame you hun, we're currently saving for a new car at the moment.

I didn't think it would cost that much tbh so I think I'll be waiting on the NHS too. I was thinking in the hundreds rather than the thousands.

Happy birthday for next week have you got anything nice planned? x
  • No plans yet,will most probably just go out for a meal with family