Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Any women with Cystic Fibrosis?

Hey girls, I have Cystic Fibrosis witch effects the lungs and can cause thick cervical mucus witch can be a nightmare for trying to conceive but im thinking about going back to my GP and asking to be put on Clomid and to start taking this cough medicine for chesty coughs because many women with CF have said they have used it to thin there cervical mucus and taken clomid and fallen pregnant.

Anyone with CF had a successful pregnancy and got any tips of how you fell pregnant?

Many thanks image

xxx

Replies

• Hi image I've never responded to anything online before, but I saw that no one answered you, so I felt I should. I too have CF and have successfully gotten pregnant once and had an easy pregnancy and perfect healthy baby boy, who is now almost 4! image

How? Well, I don't know really. My husband and I had no expectTions, and therefore no stress, or planning intercourse. We just went off birth control, and said " if it happens, it happens.". My stats were not perfect, but they were stable: ~ 43%FEV1, and about 4 times a year doing at-home IV meds for 2-4 weeks for "exaserbations". I was in my later 20's, healthy weight, and healthy diet.

Without " trying" , I conceived in about 12 mos.

So, it is totally possible!!!! image

Don't give up and try not to even think about it. That is my advice image

I should be fair, though, and mention my current "not so sunny" situation: we have now been trying to conceive our 2nd for about 2 years without success. Of course, this time, I'm older, more stressed about it and life in general ( I'm a mom now; and that will definitely add stress, reduce sleep, and complicate your life - but is also amazing image), AND we are really trying this time, which might just be the problem.

I am thinking, myself, of trying Clomid. I would appreciate your take on it. Have you tried it yet? Without it, are you (sorry if this is TMI) noticibly Ovulating regularly ( do you actually see the "fertile quality cervical mucus" when you wipe etc. like you're suppose to see at time of ovulation ea. mo.?)

Anyway, I truly wish you the best of luck image Stay positive! Don't let CF define you; you CAN do this, just about as easily, or as challenging, as any "normal" woman. Just be sure to keep yourself as healthy as you can, and relax image