Forum home› Getting pregnant› Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Work dilemma

Just found out I'm being made redundant. Not sure what to do. Got 90 day consultation period and then about 9 weeks notice. Think the payout will be good but not confirmed yet. If I wasn't TTC then I would definitely take the money and look for an external job. But as we're TTC I don't know whether to do this. Sods law I'll finally fall pregnant and not be entitled to maternity leave/pay. My company policy is that you don't have to be thre a certain time to be entitled but not sure if this is different with other companies. Also, what if I fall pregnant and can't move internally - who is going to employ a pregnant woman?

We were probably going to start IVF in a few months so that will definitely be on hold but I don't want to actually stop trying. Not sure if there will be any suitable internal jobs for redeployment but it is an option to consider.

Advice please

Replies

• Wow hun thats a toughie!

The only people who can decide or say whats best for you to do, is you and your partner.

I will say that nothing ever goes to plan with ttc, we thought we'd ttc when we did so id fall pg before hubby goes away again. However my body etc had other ideas and i end up falling pregnant at the wrong possible time and hubby will be away and highly likely to miss the birth! So what i am trying to stay is things don't always go to plan and you could always think what if i do get made redundant, what if i cannot find another job, what if etc

I can't give you any great advise as only you guys can decide whats best for your family.

Good luck with whatever you decide

xxxxxxxx
  • Ditto to what Faye said, but also, you standard maternity rights are in place (for SMP anyway) if you are employed when you fall pregnant, so as long as you've been there a few weeks, you are entitled to SMP at the very least.

It is a tough one, though, as the last thing you want is new job stress when you're looking at starting ivf.

Good luck xx
  • There is never a perfect time to have a baby. You will find a way through regardless of what happens. I would certainly not stop TTC ing when the journey is a LTTC one. I would discuss the decision with your fella and make the best decision for what is now rather than what could be.
  • Hi

I have been in a similar situation to you.

Last year, I went through a redundancy process, 90 day consultation etc (actually in the end decided to opt for voluntary redundancy as the money was excellent and would have paid for several private IVF treatments but was turned down image)

Although my job is now safe, I realised I could actually get significantly more money in the market place and had to weigh up whether to seriously start looking and applying for other jobs or to stay put.

I came to the decision to remain where I was on the basis that most companies seems to have a minimum employment term before you are eligible for their full maternity package and as the main earner, dropping to SMP was simply not an option as having had an expensive wedding less than 12 months ago, we have very little savings to fall back on.

Also another consideration was that I am much more likely to be able to work flexible/part time hours in my current job whereas in a new job, you can't guarantee the same flexibility.

Hope the above helps and gives you something to think about in your current situation. I think a lot depends on your personal circumstances and whats right for you and your family as for me, it's not just about the maternity pay but also part time flexible hours when i do return to work.
  • Hi,

There is never a right time! You know in you heart that you don't want to stop so you shouldn't impo. If from a financial stand point you can survive on just SMP then even if the worst came to the worst and you were made redundant and then found out you were pregnant you would still be entitled to maternity allowance. It's the same amount as smp and payable directly to you, whereas smp goes through an employer. As far as I can tell you will qualify - as long as you have worked for 16 weeks in the 66 weeks before baby is born, earning more than the rate of smp (around ??130) then you should be entitled.

Good luck x
  • Thanks for all your replies.

You're all right in that you can't plan when you will fall pregnant no matter how much you try to work it out.

I've been looking at SMP and trying to get an idea of other company policies (I can't very well ask in an interview what their maternity policy is) but it's not helped too much in deciding. It seems my company has a very good policy in that you will get full pay for 26 weeks no matter how long you've worked there which I think is unusual. For SMP I think I would have to be in a new company at least a week before falling pg.

Although my job won't end until mid-year we have ruled out IVF for now. We have decided to carry on as we are until my job does end and then probably stop until I've been in new job about a month. I am assuming that I will go external as it does seem too much money to turn down. If we get our miracle before summer then I might temp until after baby is 1, or some plan like this maybe.

Leicesterb2b, you make very good points which I have already considered. Now that we have kind of made a decision about TTC, I am still very concerned about flexibility/hours in my next job and this would apply whether internal or external. I am very worried about having to work longer hours as I've been very lucky with my 9-5 job. I also sometimes have to start late which other employers may not like.

I think my only realistic option is to....buy more lottery tickets lol