Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

irregular periods

well girls i haven't been on here for a while stopped trying for a bit coz nothing seemed to be happening.

A little bit of back ground...... i have a 6 year old daughter conceived her really quickly so didnt think i would have a problem this time around........ive now been off the implanon 2 years. apparently i have PCOS.

well i havent really had a period for a year and a half without the help of provera.

I have now taken up a zumba class which i go to 4 times a week. And yesterday to weeks into doing zumba AF arrives image

I dont really know the reason for putting this up kinda thought it may help someone.

Im also wondering if anyone has had the same happen to them and eventually regulated their periods.?.

Replies

• Hi,

I also have PCOS, my cycles range from 35 - 70 days which are not ideal. So after my last period, at New year of all times, I decided to start eating a low G.I diet to regulate my blood sugar levels and also started taking Agnus Castus and this time my cycle has been 32 days so I'm well chuffed. Hoping these new changes will finally get me my BFP after a long 2 years of disappointment. Glad the exercise is working for you hun - I know how exciting it is to finally get that short cycle image

• Interesting. I do quite a lot of sports anyway, but as I was sat eating a sherbert dip dab yesterday, I thought maybe the low GI thing was worth looking into.

Don't want to sound daft, but I've never done a "diet". What do you eat? I live on sandwiches- are they no go? I don't think I could do that..

If heard of a low GI diet book that's about for women with PCOS, but I've got enough recipe books to know ill never touch it if I can't fit it into my life...

Kx
  • Hi Pumpkin

Well this is the second time I have replied (so fingers crossed it works this time), isn't it annoying when your computer crashes as you've just finished typing a reply image.

Anyhoo. I would totally recommend the book 'Managing PCOS for Dummies'. It's brilliant and gives loads of information about why women with PCOS need to manage their diet and also explains in detail about the low GI thing, how it works, what foods you should eat etc and includes some recipes.

The basics of the low GI diet are that you switch bad carbs that are stored as sugar (like white bread and white potatoes) for good carbs that keep you full for longer and do not turn into stored sugar (like multigrain bread, apples, pasta, sweet potato).

I completely agree about it needing to fit into your lifestyle and I have never been one to follow a diet. I decided to look into the low GI thing mainly to try and get me pregnant and because my doctor suggested that it may help regulate my cycle. After reading a lot about PCOS I now realise that it is really important for women with PCOS to follow a low GI diet to avoid ending up with serious health problems (something no doctor has actually mentioned at any point to me) we are greater risk of developing diabetes and heart disease which of course can lead to many other problems. The problem with sugar (and carbs which turn to sugar) is that they play havoc with our insulin levels resulting in rapid peaks and dips leaving us feeling lethargic, this then has a knock on effect with our hormones which are overcompensating for the insulin levels which then leads to not ovulating properly.

I've found the low GI thing really easy to fit into my lifestyle. You are supposed to base every meal around a low GI carb so pasta or sweet potato etc. You are encouraged to snack regularly between meals on healthy snacks. By eating regularly and eating crabs which keep insulin levels steady we don't get the peaks and dips, don't feel lethargic and our hormones are regulated. The great thing is that you don't have to avoid anything the idea is you eat low GI carbs the majority of the time, medium GI carbs occasionally and high GI carbs rarely (so I didn't feel guilty last week when I tucked into a cream egg when AF arrived).

I have a really sweet tooth so was worried about not getting my daily "fix" but there are loads of 'sweet' recipes such as muffins (including chocolate) which has helped keep my cravings at bay and to be honest I am no longer craving naughty things like chocolate.

I totally recommend you try it, I was surprised at how easy it has been to follow and fit into my lifestyle and how many things I can actually eat (theres actually not much that should be avoided) plus if I get a bubba at the end of it then every sacrificed piece of doughnut and chocolate will be worth it :lol:

If you want to know anything else then just shout and I will do my best to answer it but if you can get a copy of the book then definitely give that a read. I have a list in one of my GI books of what you can and cant eat so when I find my camera I will take a pic and try to upload it so you can get and idea of the kinds of things you can eat.

• I have the PCOS for dummies book - did you get all that info from there? Which book do you use the most for low GI?

Loving your typo at one point where you tell us to eat lots of crabs :lol:
  • Mmmm. Crabs.

Seriously though, thanks for the epic reply. Really useful. I'll look into the book- I sure I could give it a try at least- like you say, it'll be worth it if I get a baby. I've always said I won't obsess, but I think that boat has passed, so might as well focus my obsession onto something useful...
  • Hi Munchie,

I have 2 books, The dummies one and 'The ultimate PCOS Handbook' plus a GI recipe book which has some info in it. I mostly use Dummies because it's ... well for dummies :lol: so easy to understand but my recipe book has a long list of what to eat which I regularly look at too. I've read both books cover to cover now (how sad) but have learnt a lot - didn't realise how bad PCOS is for your health image

Ha ha, sorry about the typo, got a bit carried away with my typing image
  • Hi Pumpkin,

No probs, sorry it was soooo long, nice to have someone to bore with what I've learnt ha ha.

I know what you mean about obsessing.

• No idea on the Diet front but my cycles were on average 57 days, started TTC on new years eve, expecting it to take forever, and after taking Agnus Castus for 2 weeks, I ovulated, and here I am nearly 5 weeks pregnant when usually I wouldn't have even ovulated yet! x
  • Hi MrsJ2011

Congratulations on the pregnancy thats fantastic, can I ask how much Agnus Castus were you taking and did you stop taking it at ovulation or continue until you discovered you were pregnant?

• Ah thank you image I took 2 capsules, twice a day. I was also using ovulation predictors but loosely, kept an eye on my cm more. I took them up to (what I thought was) ovulation & then stopped, forgot really lol. I'm still kid of shocked it worked, haven't ha a cycle in the 30's for years, didn't expect to catch on the first one either, I nearly fell off the toilet! Good luck with it image xx
  • Thanks MrsJ2011 I was only taking 2 capsules once a day and took them for my entire cycle so have upped it to twice a day instead. I'm not surprised you nearly fell off the loo ha ha think most people would have image). Thanks and have a happy and healthy 9 months.

Sorry Sarahhodgkinson for taking over your thread. Hope the Zumba is still going well and that you are still feeling motivated. I saw your other thread about worrying about not having another short cycle but try not to worry and get stressed because I'm certain that with all the effort you're putting in your cycle will continue to be short image Good luck hun. X