Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility

I have PCOS apparently :-S

hey ladies,

just starting the process of ivf. had my initial meeting and beem sent away to do all blood tests ready for next appoint. i had to do a scan (day 6-10) and they told me i have mild PCOS. never been informed of this before. knew i had endometreosis and had it treated but had no idea i had this. huge shock to the system! also i massive relief. all these years (3 years and 4 months off ttc) i've been wondering what the hell is going on and finally i have my answer. my mums friend had the exact same thing happen to her. nothing came up until she started ivf and her first round she got her long awaited bfp so my fingers and toes are crossed image

i've read that i need to change my diet. i've already cut out alcohol, caffeine, fizzy pop, white carbs and sweets . i don't smoke! i'm taking vitamins for mother to be but what else can i do to help my chances???/ oh and i'm out jogging 3 times a week (that part i hate !!!!!!)

any feedback would be great

thanks ladies xxxxx

Replies

• Hi HannahBelle1979 good to hear that you are progressing down the IVF route, FC you'll get a BFP very soon.

How annoying to find out you have PCOS but on the other hand its nice to have some answers sometimes isn't it. I can't offer any advice I'm afriad but just wanted to wish you luck on your journey x
  • aww thanks loop013. hoping all this hard work of eating well will be rewarded at the endimage xx
  • Can I ask, what makes them think you have PCOS? Our stories sound very similar and now I am wondering if there is more to my "unexplained" infertility than what they can shed light on so far. Like you, they found mild endo. We have been trying for years- real time 3 years although it feels like eternity. We were referred for IVF on Tuesday and so now waiting for the appt to come through.
  • Hi Hannah, I can imagine it is a bit of relief to finally get some answers.

I was told when i had my first scan that I had slight polycystic ovaries but not the syndrome, and they said it shouldnt hinder my chances of conceiving. But now im wondering whether I have pcos too as I dont think I ovulate every month either. They havent put me on clomid they have just referred me straight for IUI which I start in a couple of months.

Good luck with the IVF, I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you x
  • Wow! that must be such a relief in one way to hear! In another it is so frustrating for you that it has taken this long to find. I had the same thing (although not as long as you have had to wait), where doctors couldnt find anything, even had an ultrasound scan, but still kept having early miscarriages. Finally, just before Christmas I had another ultrasound scan - internal as well this time, and they said I also had PCO. Think mine is fairly mild as get regular periods, but cant maintain pregnancy image

Thats great about changing your diet and exercise - I am trying to as well! I am taking metformin, but hasnt worked last 2 months. going back on 24th to hopefully start clomid!

So will they carry on with the IVF now they know what it is? xxx
  • Hi Hannahbelle,

Well, after 3 years! But I have to say, you don't seem a typical pcos-er. But it does seem to affect people in different ways. I know people who have virtually no symptoms, can concieve easily, but cannot maintain a pregnancy. I just couldn't concieve. It seems to be very random!

The "verity pcos" is a good website for support and information on pcos. IVF has that great relief of taking control of your initial pregnancy hormones, so you won't have to worry about early miscarriage. Sounds like you're doing all the right things! xxx
  • aww thanks for all your responses.

they found it on an internal scan. i have no idea how but thats what she told me. i had 14 follies in my left ovary and apparently thats a sign????? i really don't know?? but if you look at google images at PCOS you can see it and thats what mine looked like.

yeah i don't think i'm a typical PCOS person as i do have very regular cycles and get ov pains etc. just reckon the egg is never been released. seriously i have no idea. i'm just guessing???

just in process of doing all blood tests at min and waiting for next appoint to come through. feel so much more relaxed now tho. not even ttc any more which is a wonderful feeling. just concentrating on eating well and looking after myself

you never know all this chilling out may actually help me image

anyways hope your all well and enjoying the easter break xxxxxx
  • Sounds exactly like mine Hannahbelle, so glad you are now able to relax and look after yourself. Look forward to hearing what they have to say. I have my appointment on the 24th, to see what's happening with the metformin, and I guess to begin clomid. So far nothing yet with metformin though... xxx
  • just got appoint through for 7th june. done all tests now so just waiting for appoint. my poor hubby tho has been sent up to a n e today. thinking he had a strangulated hernia but after lots of examinations, scans and tests they think it might just be a twisted muscle which spasms. all we need at the min!!!! i book us a week off work to relax and he ends up in bloody hospital. arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. hopefully he'll be back home 2mw xx

• Oh how exciting the 7th June really isnt long away is it... image exciting times.. Im hoping to start IUI around the 21st June.

Hows hubby today?? Hope all is well... image xx

• hey cupcake yeah not long now. i think cos its taking so long i've gone past getting excited about it all. still 4 and 1/2 weeks to go and thats just for the consultants appoint. still need the nurses appoint after that then we can start. prob not gonna be til july that we actually start any of it. feel like i'm just wishing this year away!

yeah my hubby home and doing well. it turns out that the fat surrounding the bowel had tied itself in a knot. which was causing so much pain. it will in time unravel itself so lots of rest, a low fat diet and me carrying out my nurse duties in the mean time.

good luck for your iui to start hunny.. xxxxxxx