Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Help for docs?!

Hi we have been ttc for ova a yr now so am going to docs to get checked out as am starting to get worried now! I have been using the clearblue fertility monitor since ttc and have never tried temping or anything else, does anyone know whether this will make a difference when i go ti see doc?! I am thinking that they mite tell me i should try this method before going any further! We av also tried pregnacare tablets but they neva agreed with oh and messed my cycles up so we decided to stop taking them. Any advice from anyone on what the doctor mite ask me would b great. Also i was wondering whether anyone knew whether the nurse at pud docs would be able to see me regarding fertility ussues rather than the male docs. Has anyone see their nurse rather than doc? xx

Replies

• Options

Hi Vickykenny, I think you would have to see one of your docs for him to request blood tests or to refer you to a fertility clinic etc as not sure a nurse would be able to request this. I got my hubs to go with me to see the GP, might make discussing things easier.
    In my experience after 12months all your doc will want to know is if you've had regular cycles and regular BDing and that's it really, so wouldn't worry about temping etc if the CBFM has been picking up ov ok.

Your GP will probably then request blood tests for you:
    CD2-5 to check your oestrogen & FSH levels, Prolactin (to check for PCOS), thyroid function and sometimes a full blood count.
    CD21 - progesterone test to confirm you have ovulated (this is based on a 28day cycle, if you have much longer cycles it may be worth getting this done later in your cycle approx 7days before AF is due)

Some GP's may request a pelvic ultrasound to check your ovaries and uterus look OK, some may also send you for a HSG to check your fallopian tubes. But not all GPs offer this and might not be done until you get referred to a fertility clinic.

My GP also requested a sperm analysis for my husband, he just had to drop a sample off at our local hospital labs, but I've seen other ladies on here have to wait for an appt in order to this, others have had to wait until they've been seen at a clinic, so again it can vary.

Good luck hun, its really not as bad as you think and I actually felt better for being proactive as to finding out why things weren't happening for us xxx

• Options

Thanks Vickster. I was thinking I would prob av to see the doc but secretly hoping the nurse would be able to help at first as she is based in the doctors. As we have never been the docs before I am hoping that this doesnt matter n they do actually believe we have been ttc for over 12 months. I would have gone earlier but from reading posts on here I found out they wouldnt do anything until it had been 12 months anyway. Looks like I will have to build the courage up to go, I dont know why I get myself so worked up when I have to go docs! I know I would feel a lot better going cos at the min it just feels like we r getting no where when loads of people we know recently have either had a baby or are announcing their bfp and nothing seems to be happening for us! x

• Options

I know completley how you feel, but honestly the sooner you go to your GP and get the ball rolling the better you'll feel! Fertility testing can be a long process, having to wait for particular calendar days etc but you do at least feel like you're being proactive rather than stuck in rut!

Good luck hun xxx