Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Newbie and Just referred for IVF excited and nervous

Hi all,

Im a newbie to these types of forums but would like to share my journey and gain advice those of you out there.

Me and my partner have been trying to concieve since April 2011 with no sucess. I bought the clear blue ovulation monitor, pregnecare tabs etc to no avail. Partner already has a daughter from a previous relationship. Anyway we decided that we would go to the GP and see what they could do.

I was requested to do a 21day ovulation blood test which came back as good - I ovulated, (which I thought as have very regular 'normal' periods and 8 years ago had a miscarriage) So off we went trying again until my partner decided to go and see his GP.

His GP gave him a form etc and asked him to do a seman sample. This came back as 'abnormal' So his GP referred him to a hospital up London. After waiting a few weeks and not hearing anything, we rung his surgery who said that the GP had referred him a hospital that doesnt examine sperm and that he had therfore re-referred him to UCH London.

After a good few weeks we got an appointment and went up London (were from Benfleet, Essex) to the hospital and saw a lovely consultant called Dr Christopher who requested my partner to do another sample which he did and then had to make another appointment for the results some 3 months later. He did the test and we went back for the results and was requested to do another sample along with a blood test which would look at the hormones and see if his brain was telling 'downstairs' to make enough hormones to produce sperm and depending on the results it could just be a course of tables.

Unfortunatly/Fortunatly his bloods came back as normal and all his samples came back as low. Consultant said he woule be highly unlikely to father children natually and that that daughter he already has is a fluke. That we could be trying for 20years with no luck or 2 months and fall. He said he would be discharging us back to the GP as there is no more he can do for us and that we would need a form of IVF called ICSI.

We have since recieved the discharge letter from the consultant, gone and seen my GP who ordered another 21 day ovulation blood test which I got the results of earlier today - all good image

So he is now referring us for IVF on the NHS and we have requested Barts.

Was just wondering can anyone tell me how long it will take to hear back from the PCT to see if they will reward us the the funding? Also how will we know - letter I presume?

Sorry for going on and on but thought it be best to give a clear view of what we have had done etc and to where we are now.

Im all excited that, if I have done the figures right, we could be pregnant by Sunner 2013..??

Many thanks for taking the time to read and even more thanks if you reply to this post. I will try and keep you all up to date with our progress...