Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

its gonna be ICSI

Hi all just wanted to give you all an insight into what we have been through so far!

Well we have been trying for 2 years this June, we have had all the tests-bloods 3xSA and a PCT and internal ultrasound. We were told that one of hubbys results were not good but we were in the unexplained category! joy!

I have had such mixed advice regarding clomid from the nurse at our local hospital and my gp, I ov on my own so that doesnt seem to be the problem and my cycles are regualar. I was not happy to take drugs which I did not need and could leave my cycles irregular, upset the ph etc...

So.... I had a very frank conversation with the nurse I wanted to know that with the NHS was it 'do not pass go' the case that you are not entitled to assisted conception until you had tried at least 3 goes of Clomid? She said yes! so we had reached a road block! I was frustrated that we were not being looked at on an individual basis and it was one rule for all!

We got a second opinion, originally wanting to try unmedicated IUI, we went with all out notes and results and 3 SA results, the first thing the nurse said was for me to have a AMH test something that had not even been mentioned at our local clinic. Also for me to have a HSG to make sure my tubes were ok, something else not previously been mentioned. I had the blood done there and then and I have to call on cycle day 1 to book the HSG.

The most important thing was - she considered there to be a sperm problem and that IVF or potentially ICSI would be our best bet! So the same results are shown to two different teams and they conclude a different thing! We are entitled to ICSI on the NHS at this other clinic without Clomid first! was a bit of a shock really but in a way we have a plan now and something to aim towards and had we not gone elsewhere I would have taken clomid for months with a male factor issue, rather than getting ready for IVF/ICSI! hope that makes sense and sorry for the ramble!

Baby dust xx

Replies

• Hi glad you got there in the end image we've just done ICSI and I am now 7weeks+4 days pregnant!! Hope all goes well for you both xx
  • Hi Joanne7,

thank you so much for your reply it was just what we needed to hear! do you mind if we IM'ed got so many q's and be great to talk to someone who has been through it! did you pay on was it with NHS? with all the info completely forgot to ask how long the waiting list would be! congratulations : ) x

• good luck joey139, I'll be keeping my fc for youimage xx

• Hi Joey yes that's fine, I think we waited 6weeks or so for n appointment and we paid privertly as we wa not entitled to NHS as I've a 16yr old daughter, thank you for the congratulations Hun soon it will be you!! image xxx
  • thank you carioke, hows your journey going? I know it sounds mad but you end up thinking 'why me, why us?' but to be honest why not us!? we arent special we are another couple who want to be parents, like thousands of others out there... god I am getting all deep and meaningful already! need to wait for my amh results... really hope they are ok- need to be good enough to qualify for nhs I think and also my tube investigations then I guess the wait begins. Do you want to know what your having Joanne7? I used to but to be honest now I do not care! xx

• I can honestly say ttc has been the hardest journey I've ever been on! I'm sure it will happen for you, don't loose hope! If you're unexplained then fc that means there's nothing to worry about!!  The month I got pg I decided in my mind to get on with life and not worry about it, I even started to accept maybe it wasn't meant to be (both 40) and then I got my bfp!  good luck hun, you deserve it! xxx I'm 7 weeks and fc all ok so far!!

• Joey: we had two embryos put back after our treatment so I could be having twins we have our 8 week scan tomorrow so we will soon find out!;) if there is only one baby we will probably not find out the sex I'm just not sure lol xxx

Carioke congratulations on your BFPimage xx
  • eeek how exciting! did they ask you if you wanted 2 put back? enjoy your 8 week scan it will be magical! So happy for you Carioke : ) x

• Well because it was privet and not NHS because I have a daughter we had to pay you can have two transferred which we did, luckily we had the choice of two as that's all that fertilised well for us, but it only takes one image xxxx
  • All the best today Joanne7 let us all know how the scan went, i wonder if its twins! I have emailed the hospital about waiting lists... I really hope it is not ages! xxx

• Hi Hun it went very well! it was Hard to see all my utris but there was a little baby there with a very strong heart bet it was amazing!! I hope they don't keep you waiting long xxxx
  • eeeek! how wonderful! did you cry? I know I will and hubby too! well...... I could jump for joy! I have had an email back and.... once the bloods are back and HSG being well fc! we are good to go! there is no waiting list of sorts! OMG so excited and scared! we go on hols in May so I guess we will be starting when we get back! really was expecting next year at least! so happy xxx

• Aw how great Joey tie will fly keep us updated with your news good luck xxx
  • so glad your scan went well Joane7image xx

so excited for you joey139, you'll get that bfp soon xx

• Thank you Carioke I hope so! x

• Hi Joey, I read your story and it reminded me so much of my own frustrations with NHS... After 3 years of ovulating normally I was put on Clomid for 5 months. The first 3 months I wasn't monitored but had awful side effects and painful ovaries. 4th and 5th months I was scanned and told to refrain from bd as I'd been over stimulated. Luckily for me the consultant then retired, new doc came in and took me off Clomid straight away. He did AMH test which showed I had seriously low AMH (I'm 31). So Clomid was pointless and all it did was waste precious eggs. He advised I have IVF/ICSI privately asap as NHS waiting list was 18 months. 4 months later here I am 7 weeks pregnant with identical twins! Look after yourself, follow your gut instinct and always get a 2nd opinion xxx
  • Hi Mikey another lovely lady to chat to : ) Congrats to you on your twins, I love hearing these stories, little miracles : ) and hope for ladies like me. 

Frustrating isnt it! I cant complain massively because it is fc the NHS who are going to help us make our baby but it just baffles me as to how 2 consultants can see different things, and to not put me through for the HSG and AMH bloods. I hadnt even thought that clomid can waste eggs and if your reserves are limited that is awful. I am waiting for my results very nervous I think it would effect if we can have the treatment on the NHS if they are too low?! Think they want between 9- 25. Then it is a HSG test eek! How did you find the process? injections etc... I have been doing lots of research and Ive bought a book : ) Thank you for your reply

Jo xxx