Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility

Ivf referral

Morning guys, ok so yesterday's I appointment went as expected with us finally being referred for Ivf ! 

got a while to wait but wondered exactly what to expect ? 

Weve not been offered any alternatives like clomid or IUI been sent straight to Ivf clinic after nearly three yrs x 

thanks in advance image

Replies

• Hi Justmarried2012

I was also referred this year (took the GP a whole year to fill in the 19 point checklist for the hospital!) and had our first IVF appt in March. We went along and they asked questions that the GP had already asked (weight, smoking, time TTC etc). They then asked us to have more tests (internal scan, bloods) and they will see us again once they have the results for them. We're now waiting for that 2nd appt to see what the next step is. It would be great to see how your journey goes so keep in touch if you want! image

• yes please, been told that the wait for first appointment is about 6 months so will see x

• hi guys image me and my partner are due to start ivf soon .. we are on our journey!! basically we were refered to the fertility clinic over a year ago.. since then i have had lap and dye, hsg, he had spern test.. and all that jazzimage !! anyway we were finally asked back on th 30th april this year.. we then chose our clinic (nurture nottingham) and went on our way! the fertility clinic contacted nurture right away and we had a package through the post in 3 days.. we were asked back last week to have a pre treatment scan and bloods taken.. we now have a consultation on the 31st of may!! its very exciting .. though i am nervous.. how are things going with u guys?? and what clinics are you using xxx

• hi there got a call asking for new bloods to test Hep b for both of us and cycle day 2-4 bloods for me.

Also asked about smoking and BMI etc.. which is unfair as always had a bmi of less then 25 until I quit smoking when ttc started, now 27.4 lol

Clinic has asked that I be tested for Clamydia (nice) in case of PID but that would have been picked up on internal scans right? or my last smear?

anyway moves in the right direction so will keep posting and hopefully you guys will to image  

• hi image it seems like you are exactly at the stage we are at the moment.. we went for bloods for hep b and hiv last week.. also clamydia test lol you said it.. (nice) .. have you had your pre treatment scan yet?? xx

• no scan yet? what type is it this time?

I have had a second blood test today for days 2-4 of cylce as AF came 4 days early which never happens. Im almost always to the day of a 25 day cycle.

Got a gp telephone appointment to talk about std test on Thursday (Is this urine test or smear like?) and then have to email the referral woman with all our results and bmi etc

Its been such a long wait for this and Im very excited but not looking forward to all the hormone injections and stuff.

I think the shocking thing is that weve tried nothing else no clomid no nothing? it feels like a big jump ?

• well usually before they sit with you to discuss dose of injections etc you should have a pre treatment scan, this is an internal scan that you have to have between day 1 and 5 of your cycle. Its so they can see how healthy everything is inside. i dont know if every clinic does the same but i'm with nurture and this is how they do it.

When i had the scan i had all my bloods done then, now all i am waiting for is my consultation, that is where i'll discuss all treatment and injection rota. My tests i had for std's was just a urine sample. 

i'm not looking forward to the hormone injections either but hopefully its all worth it image

And just to make you feel a little better.. this is my first JUMP too.. never tried anything at all.. it was straight to fertility clinic for investigation then boom.. ivf!!

The thing thats getting me is the length of time you have to wait between each appointment.. its like yay appointment.. wait  a month.. yay.. referal..  wait a month .. scan another month and so on.. i just want to get on woth it now. xxx

• .. oh yes .. what clinic are you using?? 

• ok well hopefully just urine test but I guess I'd better get used to it lol 

im feeling really down today I guess I was hoping that knowing we where being referred would lift the stress and I'd magically fall however AF showed her big fat head today and now all I want is too curl up and cry. 

Everykne around me is currently having babies again (insert tiny violin here ) 

oh well onwards and upwards image gl all 

• aww hun, i know exactly how u feel!! everytime that happens i just want to curl up n cry!! i've had to just let myself accept the fact that its never guna "just happen" for me without help!! and yes.. EVERYBODY around me is pregnant.. i cant even walk down the street anymore without seeing a pregnant belly!! but you know what.. we need to push that away and focus on our future little beans!! Lift yourself up and carry on... i know its hard... sometimes i find myself just crying... nothing sets it off, it just happens!! i hate the fact that i cant do the one thing women are supposed to do and the thing that alot of women out there take for granted.. yur not alone in this!! not at all!!

so, what are your next sreps?? where do u go from here?? xx

• hi thanks hun, thats the exact feeling. I've always been a "tom boy" with people telling me i wasnt a real girl, always seemed like a joke before but thats exactly how i feel now image

its made worst because all i ever hear is why havent you had any yet, dont you want kids? people are so insensitive sometimes they need to understand that it just isnt that easy for all of us.

its got to the point now that when ever people ask me i just say no weve been unable ans are awaiting ivf - leaves us with some very awkward convos but to be honest its got to hard to say "someday" etc...

next step is choosing a clinic but nobody i know has gone through this so im basing it on ratings which are not always reliable.

• yh i'm the same, the most popular one i get because im only 23 is ... ahhh dont have kinds they're nothing but troube and money ... i just wana say.. ermmm i think you need to stop and think about who u might be saying that to.. people can be really insensitive and not think aboutit!! where abouts are u anyway? what clinics are u considering? xx

• I'm in Essex, looking at bourn hall at the moment, do you know any where I can get info about them x 

• well, i went to the information nevening held at mine before i chose.. do they do information evenings at that one? other than that i just popped it in google and browsed around xx

• they do image im doing lots of research into success rates and i know a couple who used the clinic so i think its most likely choice but still looking into for now. 

im sure its natural but im generally feeling quite scared now that things are moving lol such a wimp

• ohh honestly, i feel exactly the same, like i want this soo much n i'll do anything but i start my injetions next week n i am literally shaking thinking about it! i will do anything, i'm just a little scared,  xx

• Hi 

Just a quickie... I'm having what they call satellite treatment. Most of my tests and consultations will be done under my local PCT due to travel time but we are having egg collection and transfer done at Bourn Hall in Cambridge.

Justmarried2012 Bourn Hall have seminars some evenings which we found amazing. Everything became clear and I really feel like I know what to expect now where before I felt totally lost and overwhelmed. 

Bourn Hall was where IVF started and I feel really lucky to have the opportunity to use them. 

We start looking at our meds on the 5th August and will be good to go after that.

Good luck to you both xx

• Hi all!! Just got my seminar invite for the 15th August literally beaming with excitement and feeling positive image after that its apparently only two weeks ish until our first real appointment !!! How you all getting on?

Also my appointment was originally for 5th too but had to move as was in ibiza lol
  • ok so seminar was very informative and we have been given lots of paperwork to fill in about us.

first appointment is 3rd september so looking forward to that. hopefully the wait in between that and medication isnt months.

now its all moving I really want to push forward.

How are you ladies getting on?

• Hi girls. Can I join in? Having my first IVF appointment on Friday for them to request NHS funding for my first try. Feel bit overwhelmed. Apparently no waiting list where we are going so hoping it will be fast! X