Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

IVF Next Step :o(

Hello I'm new to the site and looking for some advice from others who has or is going through the same thing. I'm 28 and came off bc 2yrs ago, we have been actively ttc #1 since and still waiting! My cycle is 25 days and regular. Ive had bloods done, which came back nornal, ive had scans all looking normal, hsg test done - that was fine. My partner has been checked as they thought this may have been the problem as he's 38 but nope he has a high sprem count, good mobility etc. He has 2 children from a previous marriage. I am slim and the doc would like me to put a little weight on but i find that difficult. I'm 5"6 tall and 8st 7 and have been this weight since school. I was told to increased my calories to 3000 a day, that is soo hard to do but am trying. After a long process of elimination to see why I haven't caught ive been told its "unexplained" they have referred me to IVF and i should have an appointment my the end of the year. He doesn't want to put me on any fertility treatment before going for IVF. I'm hoping that I can do something to help me conceive before my IVF appointment comes though, I use the ovulation sticks and trying to time if right to maximise our chances. Is there anything else that I could try to boost my chances of succeeding naturally, im worried about IVF as my partner is very much a man's man and would like to avoid it at all costs if poss, he keeps saying it will happen when the time is right. Any words of advice or experience would be grateful. Thank you

Replies

• Hello AK,

Are you taking any vitamins? Is your partner taking any? Do you drink / smoke?

xxx

• Hi

My partner takes a multi vitamin each day. I had been taking Pregnacare for those trying to concieve but haven't bought any more since I finished a 3mths course, thinking it's a waste of money. Now I'm just taking folic acid each day and have been trying angus cactus this month too but only up to the day of ovulation as ive heard you shouldn't take it passed this point until your cycle comes along again.

I dont smoke and can't really say I drink, I may have 1 on the weekend but not every week.

Thanks
  • Hello,

That's good because alcohol and ciggs do reduce your chances. I would carry on taking folic acid as that is recommended by health professionals. I do not think that there is a difference between normal pregnacare and the conception one. It never made a difference to me so I was sticking to normal pregnacare. Try to get your partner onto folic acid, zinc and selenium. They improve sperm quality in general. I know you said that there was no problem with the count but it will not hurt to take additional vits. The multivitamins are good but the doses of each vitamin are much lower than when they are taken separately. My partner took almost 10 - 15 different vitamins and supplements every day. We battled infertility for a few months and found that my partner had a reduced count - almost non-existent. He took clomid plus all the other vitamins and I got pregnant after the first round.

I also took soy isoflavounes - this is natural clmid and is taken just like clomid. I took it on days 2-6 of my cycle. You are right about Agnus castus, only take it up to ovulation so you need to make sure that you are either temping / charting or using ovulation sticks.

How long is your luteal phase? The Luteal Phase is another important factor, if it is too short the egg will not be able implant itself. It should be at least 10 days, ideally 12 or more. My luteal phase used to be 8 or 9 days, the doctor fobbed me off so I've researched it on-line, talked to ladies on this forum and started taking B6. It helped and my luteal phase went back to 10+ days. The ladies on this forum have also helped a lot so if you have any more questions please ask away.

Also tell your hubby to stay away from hot baths, laptop on the lap and phone in his pocket - this reduces sperm count.

xxx

• Thank you sorry its taken a while for me to respond. My luteal phase is 14 days normally. I ovulate on day 11.

my cycle is 25days.

my consultant originally discussed giving me fertility treatment to increase my chances of mature and healthy eggs.

Do you think soy iso could help increase my chances? Increase my cm and help ensure my eggs are at their best?