Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Referral after miscarriages

hello,

I am 2 weeks away from my first referral appointment after natural miscarriages. I am still dealing emotionally with my last miscarriage, and scared what the future holds.

Can anyone give their experience of being referred, what tests to expect & possible outcomes/treatment? 

Terrified of getting pregnant again without medical monitoring but even more terrified of giving up. It's just so easy to not get pregnant, never knew trying for a family could be so hard.

Replies

• So sorry for your loss:(

Ive suffered 5 miscarriages but also have had 3 gorgeous  babies too:)

Im currently being investigated as we so wanted a 4th when everything went wrong!

You are more than likely to have some blood tests to rule out sticky blood( has a tricky medical name) and hormone levels and thyroid will be checked. 

They may scan you Internally to have a look at your ovaries and womb . They sometimes measure the thickness of lining of uterus too.

They will take your cycle history/miscarriage history so have it to hand in case.

You will return to the gynaecologist then for your results:)

Its all ok and nothing to worry about hun. They might check your oh sperm as they can cause MC also if the sperm aren't any good so to speak!

When your results are in they will discuss your options you

Its such a hard thing to go through but try and stay positive and it's a good thing to actually know you can fall pg it's getting that baby to stick:)

Lots of hugs to you and I hope you get some answers:) Sometimes it's just unexplained as mine were.

Good luck with your appointment please feel free to chat with us on:

ttc after a miscarriage (think it's part 10 or 11) I've lost count! We are a lovely bunch 😊

• Thanks so much for your words of wisedom & support. You must be such a strong woman & inspiration to your children to still be standing after all that pain. They are very lucky!

After a year of trying my husband had a sperm test which came back fine (the very same day unknowing I was pregnant for the first time) it was a miracle which sadly didn't last but gave us hope. I did go private for a scan after my first miscarriage & think my womb looked ok - they looked at my egg reserve & counted 13 which apparently is ok... 

6 months later Iv had HCG tests during second pregnancy (which highlighted a potential miscarriage before any bleeding) my bloods also highlighted low platelet count which I hope will be looked into in 2 weeks. Not sure if this is related to APS (aka. Hughes Syndrome aka. Sticky blood)

Have been hoping to go back to work 'tomorrow' for the last week... hoping tomorrow will be the day & try to get back to 'normal' before referral tests.

thanks again x

• This sounds awful but what I had to do with my last miscarriage was collect the products of conception and send them for testing:/ Turns out that miscarriage at 12 weeks was Trisomy 16 so was a chromosome problem and at least I had a reason. I'm none the wiser with my others!

I had a pot to collect which was awful and you take to hospital as soon as you can. However pregnancy wouldn't pass on it's own so had a D&C asleep so they sent the products off for me which was easier.

Thats something they may ask you to do should you unfortunately have another ( hopefully not) but it does help sometimes with getting answers and worth talking about with your gynaecologis.

good luck with everything xxx

• Broken I hadn't read your story on here before replying to your message on inbox but I hope it helped xx

• Post deleted by MadeForMums. 
    Here's a link to our Chat guidelines.