Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Losing weight (and the will to carry on ttc!)

Hi ladies, firstly I apologise for the long post, I’m looking for some success stories of you losing weight and falling pregnant. I really really need some motivatio. I have PCOS and was advised that all my infertility issues are pcos related and I need to lose weight. So we have been trying for 6 years properly, monitoring cycles and taking opk’s to determine if I ovulate. Which I rarely did. I was doing ok weight wise until I found out I had endometrial  hyperplasia (pre cancer of the lining of the womb). My world fell apart. I realised my weight played a bigger part in my health and ttc journey. So ttc was put on hold for a year whilst I received treatment. Was advised to lose weight, I struggled as I was so low. After a year I got the all clear and ttc started again but 6 month later was put back on the treatment as a biopsy showed the hyperplasia returned. Consultant couldn’t stress enough the importance of losing weight as this would keep happening. So 4 months in ibe only lost 11 pounds. I need to lose another 28 pounds. I find it so hard as I feel as though our dream of being parents isn’t meant to be. I’ve lost all hope of this ever happenin. We have hit so many hurdles, it’s as though this dream of ours is exactly that, a dream! I have lost all my confidence and have no self esteem anymore. I literally hate myself for being so weak and not eating healthy. I just don’t know why I cant just be strong enough to chose the right foods. I am going to see a therapist next week so hopefully they can help me see sense. xx

Replies

• hi Summer12. 

Injust had to reply after reading your story. You are so much stronger than you think. 

I have pcos and have been ttc for 2 years now. Loosing weight was the big deal and the one thing it seemed my body just didn’t want me to do. I did a inns of research on pcos and what it actually meant and why it caused infirtility. To cut a long story short I started a low GL diet with no wheat or gluten and quickly lost 2 stone and now losing my third and final stone. I’ve not yet got pregnant but I’m feeling so much better and know it’s increasing my chances. My biggest trick for losing the weight was to tell myself my body was broken and thought it needed food that actually was going to harm it. 

I don’t know if any of that helps but hold your head up. Your are stronger than you think and anything is possible 

• Thank you so much for your reply. Its a long journey for those of us who have continuing problems. ive currently lost 1.5 stone, so i am getting there, still another 2-3 stone to go. So thinking about how far i still have to go, does get me down. But i know i need to think about how far i have come. I heard that losing weight, especially with PCOS is the best thing that helps us get pregnant. I am trying to concentrate on me and losing weight right now. As thinking about not getting pregnant gets me down, so i eat, so best to avoid thinking of it. Good luck in your journey and im sending lots of baby dust your way. Hopefully it will be your turn next xx