Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Gynae app - i know you lovely lot can help!

my GP has referred me and i've had a letter from the hosp confirming this and that they'll write to me nearer the time as the wait is currently 8 - 10 weeks but am just wondering what to expect really and what i should be asking, does anyone have any helpful advice? thanks ladies xx

Replies

• Hi rocky_kiz

i posted the same the other week. ive got gynae app on 13th july. think they'll want to do some blood tests, an internal examination, possibly an ultra sound and then take it from there, possibly have to go back to get the dye in tubes etc.

Good luck with it all, i was desperate to get referred so we can start investigation but now im going im really quite nervous about it all.

Im going to ask loads of questions because i just dont get it all.
    xxx
  • All the above is correct, they send you for blood tests to test your immune system, blood count and other stuff which can be done any day, then 2-5 day bloods and 21 day bloods and an internal ultrasound to check ovaries and womb size, shape, womb lining, and for cysts. Thus how far I've got anyway. They didn't really aak much. They want a copy of your other halfs sperm anaylsis also so of u have it, take that with you xx
  • The ultra sound has to be taken on day 5, on the first appointment they give you the forms for it all, best to ring ultrasound on day one of your period. They usually keep appointments aside for this kind of thing so you can have it done at the right time xx
  • Some PCTs have slightly different procedures. I did not have an ultrasound on day 5 just a general scan of the ovaries/ womb, HSG and various bloods as well as an examination during the appointment. I would advise getting your OH to do his SA asap just in case there is a need to do a repeat test.

Good luck x
  • Hey honey! Can't offer any advice as we decided not to take the referral but just wanted to wish you lots of luck, saving you a seat in PAI xxx
  • Hi rocky_kiz,

Just to echo what the other girls have said, if your GP hasnt already done day 2, day 21 and general immunology bloods, they will do these, also its better if oh has had sa done as they can explain the results. For me they did an internal scan and vaginal swabs at the appointment (fortunately I was warned and had showered!!!!), referred me for hsg (scan with dye thingy) which has to be done in first 10-12 days of cycle (this is to make defo sure you are not pregnant).

We have just had our results and tis all normal, so we have unexplained infertility, and will be referred for fertility treatment once we have reached the 2 year mark (at 14 months now).

Hope that helps!! x
  • Fingers crossed that appt comes through quickly for you hun. Think the girls have covered everything xxx
  • If there is one piece of advice I can offer it's try to be patient. I think my gp rasied my hopes too soon when she referred me and I thought I'd get treatment right away. Your first appointment usually involves lots of questions about your cycle and an internal- which is a little uncomfortable but over quite quickly. At the same time they will take a swab to check for chalmydia. Then I was sent for blood tests (despite already having some with my gp) and a hycosy (which is a scan where they check if your tubes and womb are healthy)- it sounded scary in the letter but was fine. I have to wait 3 months between appointments each time. In the 2nd one I got the results and was given some medication (I have pcos) and then when I go back in 2 weeks I'm meant to be getting fertility drugs. Good luck xxx