Forum home› Getting pregnant› Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

PMA needed for hubby....

Hi ladies,

We've been trying to conceive since October with no luck (but fun trying!!!) I've always had nagging doubt something not quite right somewhere along the line and looks like worries confirmed...

Hubby went for SA 10 days ago and his GP wants to discuss results with him tomorrow. I was under impression if results were ok the nurse would give the all clear over the phone?

Horrible thought something not right with my cycle either (I'm an older bird 36) but I'm always 25/26 day cycle and always had smiley face day 12 or 13 for LH.

I'm waiting to go for day 19 progesterone (thought it should be 21?) and typical that's this sunday and not sure if haematology dep open on a bank holiday monday??

Hubby had to have a vasectomy on one side a couple of years ago so hoping the surgeon didn't cause a problem...

Blimey I need the PMA!!! I guess we just need to see what Doc says....

Thanks for reading this and sending big hugs to everyone TTC

xxxx

Replies

• Hi and welcome, I've only just started posting on this site myself - it's really supportive and helpful.

My DH had a SA and the doc wrote to him to say that he needed to go in and discuss results. The results were ok but he was just on the lower side of average on one of the things that they look at and the doc didn't seem to think there was anything to worry about and were repeated to get a better analysis. The SA results can be a bit difficult to understand so it is easier for the Doc to explain.

The progesterone blood test - I've had quite a few of these and my doc says that it is on day 21 (of a 28 day cycle), or 7 days before your next period. My day 21 has fallen on a weekend and I asked when the test should be done (either the Fri or Mon) and they said that it is better to have it a couple of days later rather than earlier as the levels should still be raised albeit they may have started to come down.

Hope this helps.

Take care xx

• Hiya HalesP,

Thanks for your reply, decided worrying about tomorrow isn't going to change anything and we'll just have to wait and see what our GP has to say.
    DH just feels guilty he's responsible....

Hmm, better ask him to write down a summary of his SA or he'll go blank afterwards!

Roll on tomorrow...

xxx

• Really hoping you get good results Hales

My husbands results are really not good but our consultant is still empahsising the point that they are not incompatible with pregnancy

Even if they are on the low side there is still a chance
  • Lots of luck to your hb today Mrs Pootle. As JJ says, even if the news isn't what you want there's loads they can do.

xxx
  • Hiya girls,

SA results not good waiting for DH to come home from work as he couldn't really talk earlier. His text just said low volume and not many swimming and he feels responsible. I've got bloomin tears in my eyes coz he feels bad....
    We're being referred privately and I'm waiting for my progesterone blood test.
    Feel a bit numb really but thanks for your support

xxxx

• So sorry to hear Mrs P.

Try and stay positive (I know its easier said than done). We probably find it harder when it is them that has a bit of a problem as it is out of our control. Fingers crossed that your private appointment will give you some encouragement that not everything is lost and it isn't. You are going to get there - you just need a little help along the way. At least when you go to the appointment you will have test results to give them so they got something to work at.

Go and enjoy a big hug with hubby xx
  • Good luck for tomorrow, and let us know how you get on!! xxxx
  • Poor hubby came away with no faith in his GP and was made to feel like crap. He wasn't given a copy of his results and when I asked if there were any viable sperm DH just said the impression he got was there was very few sperm and they were all dead.... Anyway he wasn't asked to go for another SA just that he'll being referred to a urologist. the GP saying to DH he'd never had to refer the man before made him feel like a freak.
    I know we're not the first couple to go through this I think Ginger1978 is in the same position but you feel so helpless.
    Anyway cried enough now thank you for reading and replying it does help
    xxx
  • Hi Mrs Pootle. Your GP sounds like a twat! My DH has low sperm and low motility (that sounds like what your DH said in his text) and by no means does that mean he can't create a child, it just might take a little longer. We didn't get a copy of the results but I would call back and ask for the figures.

If it helps, 'average' is supposed to be the following;

>20million sperm per ml
    >50% motility (swimming!)
    >15% morphology (with heads and tails etc) - I think this is correct but I did not take much notice of this one as my DHs was OK. Another one of the girls might be able to confirm or deny this?

Make sure your DH knows that he is not a freak and that there are plenty of us on here where our DH has not had the results we wanted. It's not nice but it really isn't his fault and there are things that can be done.

If it reassures you, it seems that the fertility clinic do the second SA anyway and not the GP so he probably wouldn't have been offered it in the first place.

Good luck with it all. Try to remain positive and we'll all help you through your journey from here, if you want us to.

xxx
  • Hi Mrs Pootle

I've not been on for a few days, but just saw your post and wanted to write a response. As you've probably seen we went through everything you're going through last week with my hubby's SA results - although possibly ours might even have been worse as there were no sperm detected. We also felt our GP wasn't that helpful and sympathetic just delivered the bombshell and handed me two tissues. That first day was definitely the worst. We went away thinking that there was no chance of us having a baby of our own. But since then things have got slightly easier, there are so many things they can do to find and retrieve sperm now and the fact that you're going private means that you might not have too long to wait for things to get going. My hubby has his first appt for some more tests on Tuesday and we've got a consultation booked for a few weeks so things are moving forward. And if you search the internet there are loads of success stories of couples in similar situations, which does make you feel loads better knowing that all is not lost.

I know my hubby found it really hard at first, but we're getting through it together and in this last week we've become closer than ever. After 13 years together I didn't think that was possible!!

Really I just wanted to message you to let you know that you're certainly not alone. I know it really helped me to know that there were other people going through similar things. The ladies on here really helped me feel better about everything.

I'm sending you lots of luck and hopefully we'll both come out the other side with shiny new BFPs

Ginger
  • I'm sorry about your news.
    I know its different but try and stay positive. My hubby had a SA and the motility and morphology were half of what the should be, i was so upset and hubby felt useless (although we knew it could have been loads worse). Anyway he got sent for another and they came back normal, it was such a relief. The point of the story is, dont give up hope!!
    We all know how hard it is for us, but i think sometimes we forget how hard it is for our darling hubbys. They really take it personally and to heart.
    I'm sorry that the dr wasnt very good either because that makes a massive difference.
    Just give him plenty of hugs and reassurance.
    Big Hugs xxxxx
  • Just seen your lovely replies image

I think what's confusing me if there's motility then some sperm are alive and not all dead and there's something to improve on. Anyway Dr Twat (I like that MrsHopeful) is phoning me tomorrow sometime (great will have to hover by phone all day) as they wouldn't let me collect a print out of his analysis, (something to do with the GP's discretion) and will give me the results by phone as DH given consent. My best friend is a fabulous GP and she'll look over the percentages.

She advised a second SA as hubby has had viable SA before.

Ginger we're in Bedfordshire but think the clinic on upper wimpole street has good results and Nurture in Nottingham.

The whole reason for being tested was to check our fertility so what's the point of just hubby being referred to a urologist? Surely we should be referred as a couple to a fertility clinic? I just see that as a waste of time (and money)

(Sigh) I know I need to speak to GP first but I've got no confidance in him and can't see nice sympathetic lady GP until 8th June

All hugs greatly appreciated

xxx

• I agree about the urology referral that seems pointlee, you should have been referred to the fertility clinic. Ask him about it tomorrow and find out why, it seems really odd.
    Take care xxxx
  • Hi Mrs Pootle

Guessing you have spoken to Dr Twat by now. Hopefully the percentages have given you a little more clarity.

Just to echo what the other ladies have said, the ideal morphology rate is around 15% (ie 85% abnormal). My ferility unit regards 10% (ie 90%) abnormal as acceptable. My OH's morphology results went from 4% to 10% over three months, so it can and does vary. My brother in law had one result that was 100% abnormal, and has has fathered a child, so it clearly varies!

The other thing I would say is that some GPs by definition are generalists, so don't really know that much about fertility issues. I saw a couple of GPs at my surgery, and I felt I knew more about the subject after my hours of research (sorry if that sounds arrogant!). I was told all sorts - that I wasn't ovulating (er hello - turns out she was looking at my 2 day bloods rather than my 21 day bloods!!), that I had PCOS (I don't) etc. I got much better information and service after being referred to the fertility unit at my local hospital - so I would push for that if you can.

Good luck.
  • Unfortunately I couldn't make an appointment with GP yesterday and getting past the receptionists was a no go. In the end I phoned for my day 2 test results (all normal) but as my day 19 is on a sunday I wasn't sure whether to go friday or tuesday after bank holiday. She said she'd check and phone me back instead Dr Twat phoned instead!!! Result!!

Anyway hubby's SA had far too many zero percentages hoping as they did analysis after an hour that might have effected it. After telling GP how lowsy he made hubby feel and a freak he was apologetic and admitted he'd not had to deal with anyone in this position before. He has given another form for second SA. We're going to get previous SA results from 2 years ago (before and after vasectomy on one side) Complicated as this was when husband lived in a different hemisphere then decide whether we want to be referred to urologist (reverse vasectomy) or fertility clinic (ICSI). Nice GP will refer us to whoever we want to be referred to and will check with other Dr's in practice best course of action.

So feeling a bit brighter (despite nasty cold) Hubby still feels absoutely gutted,hopeless and useless....

Thanks for all your advice and posts, it does help image

xxxxx

• You go girl, well done for sticking up for yourself, and its good that he apologised!
    Its good that he explained things a bit better and you have some sort of course of action. Good luck and try and stay positive xxxx
  • There was someone on this board that got a BFP after many years. Her husband sperm was low too and within 3 months of taking Fertiaid vitamins or I think it was a vitamin called L-Arginine or that was the main ingredient in their and they got their BFPs. Worth a try. I kept it in mind in case. I haven't done any research on itthough. Just the little that I know it helps with sperm. She should be in the due in Jan 2010 thread. You know what I remembered Scubachick also knows what it is she is also in due in jan 2010 thread.