Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility

saw gynae today - possible endometriosis

hi girls
as some of you knew I had my gyne appt today, we had a chat, she asked ques then done an internal.
She thinks I have endometriosis and would like me to have a laparoscopy. ahhhh
im so scared I said I would go away and think about it, discuss with partner and come back to her.
I asked if this is the reason were not conceiving and she said most likely yes.
I will also be having another scan to look at cyst and then she can consider whether to also remove that when I have the surgery.
Im worried, ive never been under general anesthetic before! but If i dont go ahead with the key hole surgery I'll be reducing our chance of having another baby.
has anyone else had a laparoscopy? or got endometriosis???????
:cry:

Replies

• hi first attempt the computer ate my reply!!! Yes I have endometriosis, I was diagonsed about 2 years ago after having a laparoscopy. What did you want to know chuck?
  • hi thanks for replying. so will the laproscopy confirm the endometriosis? or can they remove it?what happens after? how long have you been ttc? will i also have it? xxx
  • hey hun, I know exactly how you feel, about worrying about the laparoscopy. But try not to worry, the op isnt that bad. the main thing that I found after the op was pain in my shoulders! yes shoulders, because they have to pump you with air, they do get the majority of the air out before you come around, but there is still some in you, and it rises to your shoulders, you will find you have wind for a day or so after whilst it goes! quite funny really!! image. so i was busy complaining about that to be concerned about whether my belly hurt. they lazered mine away while i was under. mine was in my bowel and backside!! nice! they have told me my symptoms could come back, but so far so good, 2 and bit years on, it hasnt returned as yet. what symptoms do you get hun? you really should have the op, so they can have a look, and if it is that they can get rid of it, and you will probbably find you will get pregnant quite quickly.
    xxx
    we have been ttc 9 months. i had a mc in sept, so on to month 2 after that.
  • I get pelvic pains now and then mid cycle. Ive had spotting mid cycle, cycles range from 26 to 48 days and sometimes sex is painful. Or after I can be left in excruciating pain for half an hour.
    Do you have a scar, how big was incicsion? was your tummy painful after, if so how long? thanks xx
  • I've had one aswell last november it really isn't that bad and the pain only lasts about 4-5 days and no really scar just a little red mark near you belly button
  • thanks for replying mrssmith69. how long have you been ttc?
    you have both made me feel a little better about it! xx
  • Hey, I don't have any experience in this but just wanted to wish you luck hope the op goes well. At least they are helping you now, you must feel a little relieved to get some answers xxx
  • Yes, I have had a laparoscopy and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I was really scared and nervous prior the op but I needn't have been. Best of luck x
  • I wanted answers and I got them but Im anxious now! thanks socks
    thanks HOPE4ABAMBINO, how did you feel after? x
  • Hi fiona, sorry you have had this news. It must have been a shock! If it were me, I would have the op. Mainly because I would want to know what exactly was going on!

If you do decide to go for it, then tons of luck. I have never had one of these, but lots of women have and had no problems.

Hope you are ok, and not stressing too much! xx

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/a429/2.png

• yer as mrs smith says pain only last 4-5 days, got 2 little scars, one in belly button and one just, where your knickers would end below pelvis. tiny though, can hardly notice it. just dont read up on the internet, i did and it put the fear of god in me, it really wasnt that bad hun. xxxx
  • thanks for all your advice ladies, you have definatly made me feel better about it. although now i have to wait until feb to see gynae again to book the op!! xxxx
  • Hey fiona,

Please, please don't worry. I had a lap to remove endo last week. You've probably seem my previous posts but last month I found out I was pregnant, then found out it was ectopic. I had to have an emergency op to remove my tube and the baby as I had begun to bleed internally. Anyway, while he was in there (so to speak) he found moderate endo which I had no idea about. He couldn't get rid of it at the time as everything was still swollen from the pregnancy so three weeks later, he did it.

I was so terrified of surgery needles - anything like that before hand, I'm seriously the worlds biggest wimp. The lasproscopy was fine. You won't feel anything and when you wake up your tummy is a little sore - but it just feels a bit like you've pulled a couple of muscles. the incisions are tiny - you'll probably have two and the location varies depending on the surgeon but you'll aways have one going down from your belly button about 1/2 inch long (even 1.5 weeks on mine now meaures about 1cm, they heal and shrink into your belly button) and I have a much smaller one which was orginally about a cm, now half that, just on the inside my right hip bone. The worst part is the referred pain which you may or may not get - the first time I didn't second time I did. But it goes in a day - use hot water bottles and drink peppermint tea nd if you sit still you can't feel it. I almost threw it at my husband when he suggested I drink peppermint tea as it hurt! But it worked - althought it makes you burp for britain - that's what you need to do!

You should definitely do it - not only can they get rid of the endo if its there, you can ask them to do a dye test at the same time to check your tubes and they can look at your ovaries, check your tubes are free and check your uterus. basically, as long as it's not a hormonal issue, your gynae will know exactly what is wrong when she's done it.

Its also a day case procedure, so you don't even have to spend the night and you'll be back at work after a week.

I would definitely say do it. They think it was endo in my tube which caused the ectopic and that was so serious, I'm so glad mine's gone for now and i know so much more about my fertility.

By the way we were trying for 11 cycles (14 months) before we concieved, waiting for go ahead from consultant to start again. But it can really slow TTC down because of the hormones endo can emit (there's a thery it produces oestrogen, which can screw with everything).

PLease feel free to email me if you want to know anything and I'm not around - there should be an email button - i'm off and on as we're not TTC at the mo (after the ectopic not the lap). But honestly there is nothing to be scared about, but do feel free to get in touch if you are. I know exactly where you're coming from as I was there two months ago. My consultant wants to do it again in 6 months to see how fast and If mine is growing back - if i'm not preg I'll do it without complaint - it's that ok.

Rach xx
  • wow thankyou Rach you have really put my mind at rest. so sorry to hear that you had ectopic, my mum had that when I was a year old and had to have an op as at very serious stage. Im worried now that if I do fall pg before having the lap Ill have ectopic!! Im on cd42 and think I might be. xxx
  • Don't worry too much about that hun - medical science has come on so much since those days. And most people know about it, I was unlucky as my bean was very healthy and growing quickly, but most are stunted by the tube or pass naturally. Also I have a very high pain threshold so I thought i had a tummy bug, when in fact I'd been bleeding internally for four days - whoops!

Seriously, it's so rare it's not worth worrying about.

Rach x