Forum home› Getting pregnant› Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

I don't think I'm ovulating? any advice would be great

Hello

Hoping for some advice on ovulation. I was on the Depo Injection for just under 3 years, came off it and it took 8 months for AF to come back last March. Since June I've had fairly regular CD30 to CD31 cycles and I started OPK's in June as well.

Heres my problem - I've never actually had a positive OV using the OPK sticks. I've assumed it was because I wasn't 100% dedicated and kept missing it. But over Christmas and New Year, being snowed in I had nothing to distract me and tested twice a day over 7 days when I should of OV'd. I was really careful to follow the instructions and get times right etc (the joy of the snow)

If I go to the doctors now - will they tell me to go away until I've been TTC for at least a year? I'm nearly 34 and starting to get a bit worried I'm leaving things too late
How reliable are the OPK's?

Any advice you can give me would be lovely. I'm normally on the TTC forum, but no one on there seems to be having this problem

Replies

• Options
    I was 37 when I went the docs after for 2 years (have a 3 year old) and he told be i should have come in sooner but hey ho, are you using the cheap ov kits or the expensive, the cheap ones never work for me.

Good luck with trying xxx
  • Options
    I've been using the cheap OPK's you get from ebay.
    I have pretty regular AF's and they aren't that heavy so I don't think I have PCOS.

I think it's time to invest in a CBFM as you suggest - time to spend my Christmas money...

I'll also make an appt to see my Doctor - your advice has given me the push to just get on with it and stop worrying about what he'll say.

Thank you xx
  • Options
    I didn't get a positive on the ebay cheapies but I definately do on normal clearblue ones.
    H.xxx
  • Options
    I was on the depo injection for about 6-7 years, and came off it exactly 3 years ago.
    I genuinely think that this is my main problem in TTC. I just think its taken a really really long time to come out of my system- I feel like its only really been the last few months that it has!? I may be wrong though but who knows?
    Not everyone is the same though. My sister was on it for a good few years too but came off it and was pregnant within 9-10 months.
    xx
  • Options
    Hi Chocolateteabag,

I think one way to be sure if you're ovulating is to temp chart. Theoretically your temp should go up after you ovulate due to the increased progesterone in your system (which is produced by the corpus luteum which can only exist if you've ov'd). It's good as well 'cos it means you know when it happened - although it's useless for working out when to bd.

I've been using cheap opks and I find that they do give me a line, but it's very weak - nowhere near as strong as they say it should be...

I have read on FertilityFriend though that some people never get a positive opk even though they're ov'ing just fine. So try not to worry too much about it, and maybe think about investing in a cheap fertility thermometer??

Best of luck
    GG xx
  • Options
    Would like to echo what the other girls said - you really should give temping a go (not that much of a bind but you do only know you've ovulated a few days after you have!) and cbfms are great - I have one and it's usually been spot on but not always!

Doctors will see you after a year if you're under 35 and in 6 months if you're over as a general rule, I'm 32 and went after a year and was referred quite quickly.x
  • Options
    Hi,

I suspected i wasnt ovulating when my periods were months apart, for example 50 days, 43 days. Eventulally i went nearly 3 months without af , my doc ran a series of blood tests over a few weeks incase she may have missed ovulation but my progesterone always came back stupidly low about 0.2. This happened the next month 2 so proving i wasnt ovualting. I got referred to fertility unit and was put on clomid.

I would go to see your doc, aswell as the ov sticks.

Good Luck

Gem x

• Options
    Thankyou for all your responses

I called my surgery to make an appointment and managed to speak to one of the nurses. She's advised me to make an appointment for a blood test for ovulation.

I have to count back 7 days from the start of my next period. Just need AF to show up so I can start that. (I was nice and regular, but this month just for kicks AF is making me wait - have several BFN's to show she'll be on her way soon though)

Shopping list now includes a BBT and a CBFM ! Good job all the snow has meant I've not been out at all over the past few weeks and still have some money left image

Thankyou again xxx