Forum home› Getting pregnant› Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Double whammy and question on SA

Hi girls,

Hope you've all been having a lovely wekend and enjoying the sunshine?! I haven't been about for a while as work has been crazy busy so I have been catching up on all the latest this afternoon.

Anyway, while I have been away we haven't had the best news. My OH put a sample in to the hospital in December and we have been waiting for the results, I had come to the conclusion that we would get them at the appoinment I have in May. Then, completely out of the blue, a letter came from the hospital on Saturday morning and the news wasn't great. It says that the sample was "on the lower side" and definately needs to be done again. So now we've got a doube whammy, a low count for my DH and my possible not ovulating......it leads me to think - will it ever happen??

Have any of you had the same experience and gone on to have better results at the retesting? Since the last sample my DH has lost 2 and a half stone (pretty amazing in 3 months!!) and has cut back on the beer.

Any advice would as ever be greatly appreciated

Hope you've all enjoyed the weekend

xxx

Replies

• Hi Welsh! Nice to see you back image

Glad you got OH's results - even if they're not great. The results sound similar to my hubby's ,and I've also been told I might not be OV'ing, so we're in a similar boat.

Your hubby has done great losing so much weight so quickly, he must really be determined. Fortunately from what I know, SA can be improved by changing diet, cutting out alcohol etc so he's doing all the right things. I bet a SA done now would be vastly improved, and to be honest, your consultant will probably insist on another SA before going forwards.

As for will it ever happen? Yes! A friend of mine has pcos and other problems, and her hubby takes medicine that stop his wee swimmers doing anything, and she's pregnant image

Good luck honey x x
  • Hello!
    Sunshine has been wonderful! I would keep looking on the positive side. Your OH is definitely doing all the right things. As for not ovulating, they can at least do something about that if you find out it's true. I don't ovulate without help, I'm not pregnant yet, but I'm hopeful.

Good luck!
  • Thanks girls

I was hoping that the change in diet and lower alcohol in take would help, I've got everyhting crossed for his next sample!!!

Gyspy, I'm so sorry I haven;t been about for ages, but the best thing about this particuluar forum is that no one seems to get cross about it, we all just accept that sometimes people just need some time out. It's good to be back though and catching up on all the news!!

Warrenaj, you're absolutely right about my possible lack of ovualting, and I'm hopeful that I may get a Clomid prescription at my next appointment, it was suggested the last time I went if I wasn't pregnant by my next appointment, so fingers crossed.
    Good luck, I'm sure you'll get your BFP soon

xxx
  • It is nice when you're missed, but in a good way. It is important to take time out I think, and we all know that there are other things out there that take up our time.

The nicest thing about this board for me, is if I haven't been on for a while, it doesn't take me long to catch up with all the news image

PMA all round image

xx
  • hi honey
    Its so rubbish when you get a letter on a sat and can't call for more info isn't it??
    well it sounds like your in the same situation as us, my oh had 2 bad test results of 8mil then 7 mil, he has been losing weight and cutting out drinking and we got a letter on sat to say that his latest test results show improved result of 18million!! but the quality is still poor so our referal for icsi still stands, I plan to call tomorrow and speak with the doc to see if they will give us clomid as i too am not ov'ing.
    So please don't give up hope the doctors where quite dismissive of the possibility of us being able to improve his count by diet and supplements but we thought anything was worth a try.
    Oh and forgot to say he has also started taking the wellman supplement as well!
    good luck honey
    xx
  • AW CHICK SORRY TO HEAR THE RESULTS WEREN'T WHAT YOU WOULD HAVE WANTED TO HEAR AND GLAD YOUR BACK, LIKE THE OTHERS SAY WE ALL NEED A BIT OF TIME OUT I DID THE SAME NOT THAT LONG AGO TOO.

LIKE GYPSY SAYS THERE ARE PLENTY THAT WITH RESULTS LIKE THIS GO ON TO GET PG AND AT LEAST NOW THAT THEY NOW THEY CAN BEGIN THE PROCESS OF ASSISTING YOU.

HUGS AND KISSES XXXX
  • Hi Girls

thanks for your replies, they mean a lot. Gypsy, you're absolutely right it is good to be missed and it's even better when you come back! And also, because it's not a crazy busy forum, it is quiet quick to catch up on all the news.

Dani, I think we are looking as though we are in the same position, I'm really hoping that my OH change in diet and life style may have a positive effect on the count, he's going to do another sample in a week or two, so fingers crossed. However, as the doctor doesn't seem to think I am ovulating, I am hoping for some Clomid to get things going. It all helps!! Would you let me know what happens when you ask for some Clomid?

Thanks for the positive thinking Moonbean, I know you're right, at least tthings can get moving now we know what we are dealing with.

Hope you've all had a good Monday
    xxx
  • Hi
    Well the fertility nurse called me today to discuss oh latest results, basically she said that although his count had more than doubled the swim up test was still very poor with results of less than 1 mill,
    So if i want to make an appointment (over a months wait) then i can discuss it with the doc but nurse doesn't think there is much chance and they prob wouldn't offer any further treatment considering the test results. So another disappointing day and i don't really know weather to make an appointment, not sure i have the energy for another day where i'm told theres no hope other than icsi,
    What would you do?
    xx