Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Tampons and retrograde bleeding (sorry a bit icky!)

Hi girls,

Just wondering if, in your talks with GPs and fertility peeps, anyone had talked to you about retrograde bleeding and tampons. I had this crazy gp, who we have now dumped for someone else, who told me that you shouldn't wear tampons and it makes the blood flow backwards into your tubes and can add to blockages.

Now i didn't believe a word of it, but when I got home and googled it, just to check, there was some info on the internet about it adding to what they call retrograde bleeding, which we all have a little of naturally apparently. Then I read in Zita Wests book (who i think is quite good and who we're going to see in a few weeks) saying that she doesn't advise the use of tampons either - something to so with natural energy flow...

Anyhoo, it made me slightly paranoid, so last month I tried not using them as much as possible and my period only lasted 2.5 days which oh suggested might be because i didn't use them.

Part of me knows this is crazy, but does anyone know anything about it? It's probably my crazy, clutching at straws brain, but....:roll:

Rach x

Replies

• I read somewhere that tampons aren't good to use when ttc so i have stopped using them (although only one af but still !!) Didn't really read on why you shouldn't but i just thought anything that might help that BFP is worth a shot!
  • Hi Rach46,
    I've not actually heard of retrograde bleeding but just to let you know that when I started ttc I stopped using tampons. My Zita West book recommends not using them but I suppose its personal preference. I wanted my downstairs area to be as natural as possible so every month let the blood make its natural way down and out of me. I kept imagining the tampons absorbing all the conception friendly juices that I had! I know that your lady-bits have to have a certain level of acidity (or is it alkaline?) in their juices to be compatible with the sperm so I didn't want anything to intefere!
    Just read that back and it sounds a bit bonkers, hopefully you'll get what I'm trying to say xx
  • Thanks guys - it's quite interesting and good to know I'm not going crazy. Although its so hard on that first heavy day... I'm going to see if I can try this one without...

rach x
  • Hi, Never heard of it but I suppose it kind of makes sense, I didn't use Tampons last month because I'd just had my operation and the doctors told me not to. Interesting....
  • Hia, I have not used tampons since I was 17 and a very good friend of mine got toxic shock syndrome from using them, and it scared the crap out of me to see her so ill. I thought she was going to die!

Personally, I never liked them anyway and never felt comfortable with them when I did use them, (I always think of them as a 'plug' keeping all the crap festering away inside! image ) I prefer to let it all have 'free-flow' to get out of my body as quickly as possible! :lol:

I've never heard of retrograde bleeding, but you have got me curious now! I do remember reading ages ago about how endometriosis can be caused by menstrual blood flowing back up the tubes and into the abdominal cavity tho. Bodies are soooo high maintenance :roll: x

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/9ywt/2.png