Forum home› Getting pregnant› Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

HSG Yesterday

Hi Everyone
Just thought I'd report back on my HSG yesterday. All happened quite quickly after my apt on 11th June.
So yesterday was CD 8. It was a completely new experience for me having never had an x-ray before I really didn't know what to expect.
I turned up at the fertility clinic first to have pregnancy test just to make sure before the x-ray. All as expected there.
I then went to the imaging department and was told to change into a gown and someone would come and fetch me. They then ran through a whole host of questions to ensure that I hadn't had UPSI since my last AF and that I had taken (or rather inserted) the premeds and started the antibiotics.
The ladies in the room (3 of them) were lovely and very reassuring, the initial part was just like a smear test, until they put the dye in, which I have to admit was extremely uncomfortable but only lasted for about 10 seconds. It actually took longer to prepare for it then the actual procedure. I was then free to go. I did have some cramps yesterday and felt generally rough (may be to do with the drugs rather than the procedure). They did tell me that everything looked fine but I won't get the full results until October when I have my next appointment. Today I received a letter from the consultant saying that if I have lost the weight I need to by October then they will start with UCSI.
Finally OH also went for his SA yesterday which had to be produced in the clinic, that was quite an experience for him as he could do the last one at home. He was ushered into a room that had an armchair and a box full of dog-eared magazines, once he was finished he had to queue up with the others to hand in his produce! LOL
Sorry for the long post, I know it always helps me reading other experiences.
Cuddles xx

Replies

• Hiya there Cuddles..

Bet u feel bettter now that u have been for the HSG eh??
    I know i did after mine last November image... It was like a big hurdle... and as its pretty invasive I felt really chuffed with myself afterwards lol

I also found it very uncomfortable whilst the dye was going thru my tubes... and the fact u cldnt move either, made it worse!! image

At least by the time u go back in Oct, they should have ure OH's SA results too.... image ... so onwards and upwards!! image

They also say that the chances of falling preg after a HSG is slightly higher as it flushes out ure tubes so to speak! image So get BD'ing... ha

XX
  • HI Cuddles, thanks for sharing. I'm having mine on the 9th September. What were the anti biotics and pre meds for? I haven't been told anything like this so glad you mentioned or i'd have had a right shock! What are you meant to dowith then and how long do you have them beforehand?

I have a scan booked in 45 mons after so looks like i'm going to have a super day! x x
  • MafiaPrincess

I dont think everyone gets the pre-meds etc... depends on the hospital i think... I know i never got them, so also dont be alarmed if u dont get them.. image

Its well worth it... and you might even be lucky enough to be told on the day, what the score is.... They were able to tell me on the day.. image

XX
  • I really hope so as I'm convinced it's my tubes that are the problem (i've had an ectopic) so just a hint as to whether i'm right would be great. Well not great but you know what I mean!x
  • Yeah i know what u mean, it makes things alot more clearer anyway...
    Fingers crossed for you hun... and if they do find something, at least they know what there dealing with... image
    Always look on the bright side!! image

xx
  • Hi Ladies
    Thanks for the responses!
    Sorry MP I didn't mean to worry you about the tablets. Basically I was given antibiotics to start taking the day before and continue for 5 days. And then here is the TMI bit, I was given two suppositories, one was a pain killer to be inserted 2 hours before and one was another antibiotic to be inserted 1 hour before - not nice. As cupcake said it may be different in different area's. I'm in London.
    I'm due to ovulate any day now, I hope it holds off until the weekend as I was also told that we shouldn't BD for 3-4 days to avoid infection.
    xx
  • So do you get a score???.....I have my U/S next Wed and can book my hsg as soon as I get AF. Although I am hoping that I might not need it, however small that hope is! xx
  • Thanks Cuddles.

Bit conerned as i've just worked out i'll be cd 16 when I have my hsg. I usually ov cd20 (although this month was 28!) but on some freaky months i have ov'd at cd 16. I'm worried the dye will wash my egg away! x x x
  • Ah MP I had those concerns too as I sometimes OV as early as CD 9 and my hospital say that it has to be done between CD 7-10 so I had to call on CD 1 to book it. I think it is to be sure you are not pregnant.
    Must be the different area's having different rules thing again!
    xx