Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

SA Results Borderline

Hi girls,

You may remember that I asked for some advice a couple of weeks ago which you lovely ladies were only too pleased to offer. I went to my GP and he referred my DH for a SA. He had this last week and got the results today which is great (very speedy service!). The receptionist just told him the results are 'borderline - no further action required'. He is calling to speak to the doctor tomorrow to try and get some figures and give the result some context.

Just wondering if anyone has had this result and whether a repeat test was suggested (internet research I've done suggests this to be the case).

K xxxx

Replies

• Hi Kayecee - sounds a very strange thing to say?? You're right to get the figures tomorrow; you need that anyway.

My DH's results were not great but not horrendous either. We have been referred to the fertility clinic and they are doing another SA. They can change from one day to the next so it's important that they get another sample.

It doesn't sound like things are bad for you either as they have said that no further action is required. It may be that he is just on the minimum levels that they would expect to see.

I know that isn't much help but it seems that most of us on here have experienced two SAs.

GOod luck for tomorrow and let us know how you get on.

xx
  • Thanks for the reply MrsH. Like you say, I don't think it's disastrous but am just a little concerned that they aren't suggesting a repeat test. I may be back on here tomorrow with the figures asking for some help in interpreting them! x
  • hello my love borderline may not sound like the best of results but ont he grand scheme of things it is not very bad at all. I remember some one posting their OH results and they looked awful but jjenko had stated that even with these results it was possible to conceive naturally. I'm assuming that borderline must mean he is sitting very close to the average.

I havet still to get my OH SA results he went on 30/3 its a friggin joke
  • I agree with moonbean i'd think bordeline would mean very close to average. My oh had a bad result and when we spoke to our DR i can't remember exactly what she said but it was along the lines of "I have the results of the sa and i'm afraid it's not good news. you have a lot of antibodies and your best chance of conceiving is with ICSI" so i'm sure you have nothing to worry about. good luck xxxx
  • Thanks moonbean and fairy. I think perhaps you're right - hope to get more info today. Moonbean - I can't believe you are still waiting. That is atrocious!!!!
  • OMG you have no idea just went on the phone today to book HSG as AF arrived and of course the HSG dont have my referral through so phone the consultants secr, who advised if she gets the time she'll look at my file but can't guarantee I'll be phoned back today, the HSG clinic is only on a Friday so if I dont go tomorrow I have to wait yet another month, she was not very helpful and started to wuote all these waiting times for test results, I was like what results are these you are waiting on and she advised for Clamedia, I advised I was tested for this on 12th Feb and was given results at last consultation so they are not waiting on my results and how would she know this if she hasn't even taken my name. Got off phoen then phoned back fert reception to make complaint and couldn't stop my self from crying, girl was really lovely so am now awaiting a call back from the manager, do they not realise what we are all going through without making it 10 times worse I am so angry image
  • Oh moonbean! What an absolute arse! You went through this last month, didn't you? And am I right in saying that they will only do HSG where you are when you are on AF? I would be going mental by now and I think I would have got DH to phone up as well. If you're anything like me, I can turn into a bit of a screaming banshee woman when I'm angry and emotional!

Hope you get the call back soon and it all gets sorted. Can't you go in in person? They never like to say 'no' when you're stood in front of them!

xxx
  • Yeah you only get to do it on AF over here and ref wasn;t though in time but it would have only been 3 days after consultation so gave them a bi-ball, I am fuming we are still awaiting oh sa results from around 3oth march as they were missing from his file on consultation he then got a letter from another dept asking for a 2nd one which he did2 weeks ago, it then went to the wrong dept and dI had to ring and get a girl in fert to get a copy sent to her for his file and we were supposed to get contacted re his results. It just upsets me as all of these delays are delaying us going on whatever endless waiting list for treatment that we are going to have to go on, they should only allow women who have been through lttc work in these departments. As soon as I get a pone call, if I do, I'll post with the response. Thanks for your support sometimes it feels so lonely as no one in your own life can really understand what it is like and how much this can upset you xxxxx
  • You are more than welcome moonbean. I know it is hard, in fact it is the single most difficult thing you can ever do, this LTTTC lark. Try to keep your chin up. You're not alone, we're all here and do completely get where you're coming from. You WILL get there.

xxxx
  • thanks chick big kiss to you x
  • I agree with MrsH - go in and make them really uncomfortable. They have no choice but to deal with you then. It really is a case of these people being a combination of downright incompetent and not in the least bit empathetic towards other people's situations. I can definitely understand the tears - it's the sheer frustration of all the waiting which goes on and on as it is. What you don't need is some bloody receptionist making the wait even longer for you because of their don't care / won't care attitude.

Keep bugging them sweetie and let us know what happens xxxx
  • Kaycee
    I'm a drs receptionist and we use that phase all the time, its a load bullocks!! Thats all the receptionist are allowed to tell the pt, so you defo need them interpreting by a gp. When the gp files the results they have to comment on whether they are normal, borderline or abnormal but this does not explain the results!! "Borderline" means they are below average, they could be better but they are not bad!
    I hope you hubby gets on ok tomorrow and i hope i helped
    xxxxxx
  • OOhh Jess I forgot you worked in a drs how fab to have an insider on our side!!!! LOL
  • Thanks Jess! That's really worth knowing! Luckily my hubby was quite persistant and asked for them to be explained fully. He's not back from work yet so I'm still waiting to ind out how he got on. So I guess we know they are below average but not drastically so. Mmmm think we need to have that conversation (again!) about him giving up the ridiculous amount of coffee he drinks! x

PS I hope I didn't offend you by pigeon holing all receptionists!!!!! xxxxx
  • OOHH YES MB, i'm the source of all knowledge just like JJ.............NOT!!!!! LOL
    XXX
  • OH well let us know any news later.

Dont worry about it, some receptionists are horrible, at my gp surgery they are dragons but where i work we are all lovely, i'm always defending receptionists because the job is so hard and we get treated like shit by everyone!!!
  • Hi again,

Hubby has been told the count is 22m per ml (am I right in thinking it would need to be below 20m to be abnormal?) and that we have a 20% pregnancy rate. Is that just the statistic that most healthy couples having regular intercourse anyway?

He didn't give any motility / morphology results. Is this something that is generally done at a later stage? Thanks again x
  • Hi Kayecee - you should have all the results in one go. We were certainly not given a 'pregnancy rate'. We were given sperm per ml (ours was 13m and you're right, it should be over 20m). Also motility and morphology at the same time as they test all at the same time.

It's probably because the other two are fine so they didn't mention it but I would want to know anyway, just to put your mind at rest.

In terms of pregnancy rate - I 'think' that 'normal' couples have a 25% chance of getting pregnant if they BD at the right time of the month. As species, we are not particularly effective at reproducing!

Hope that helps but it does sound like the results are good so congrats on that.

xxx
  • Thank you sweetie. You're right - we're not actually very good at it overrall are we? x

I had my bloods done today so we'll see what happens with those. Thanks again - you girls on here are so quick to offer and advice and I really appreciate it xxxxx
  • You should have all the results at the same time, the morphology and motilty are just as important as the count. Ask if you can have a print out xxx