Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

what do you think?

Hi ladies
I've had a difficult few days with a few things that have been going on recently. I was all PMA a go-go after my good results with my HSG, but I now I can't help the old negativity creeping in. I guess part of me is thinking that although the HSG came back 'all clear', in some ways our situation is actually no different. I don't know if that makes sense, but I suppose I wish whatever was 'wrong' with us could just be 'fixed'. I'm sure we all feel like that some days. Anyway, I am desperately seeking some new PMA so I am going to try and list our situation objectively and I would be so grateful if you could share any tips or if you've had any similarities, any encouragement. I hope that doesn't sound overly needy, just having a very tough few days. Thanks very much. OK, here's our TTC situation:

TTC for almost 2.5 years
Trying for first baby
Have been put on NHS waiting list for IVF/ICIS
Both fairly slim and as far as we know in good general health
HSG showed tubes all clear
trans-vaginal ultrasound showed ovaries look normal
I have a tilted uterus, whatever that means!
DH's SA results showed low motility, but the overall count was ok. Think motility was about 15 and they were hoping for nearer 25 if I remember right
Both very good diet, plenty of veg etc
Both non-smokers and only social drinkers really

Please tell me there's some hope! xx

Replies

• Re the tilted uterus my friend had one of these she had been trying for similar time. She had an op to 'untilt' it and was pg 2 months later she mc but within 6 months was pg again and had a daughter in September. Bar the tilt and the time we are v similar.

Are you feeling like you tick all the boxes on all the sites but not getting any where? I tick the age box the weight box (I'm light but within normal range) non smoker, dont drink too often etc etc I've been trying for 14 months so not as far on down the testing route as you but like you 'don't get it'!!!! WTF am I not pg by now!!!!

WHere are you on the waiting list? Have you got a rough time
  • thanks Moonbeam - yes, I know exactly what you mean - feel like we tick so many of the boxes and are doing so much to try to make it happen, but over 2 years and still no bfp.

Yes, am on waiting list for IVf and in terms of where we are on the list, we have only just been put on it and the list is 3-4 years long, so we may end up paying for it ourselves if it comes to that..but it's so expensive I'm not sure how would afford it. The dilemmas!

I know what you mean about ticking the age/weight box - in theory and it's a BIG ''in theory'' I have both age and weight in my favour (reasonably young and like yorself on the lighter side) but it drives me crazy because friends say things like 'you're young, you've got loads of time to have a baby!' or even more annoyingly 'Maybe you need to put on some weight, that might help.' Aaraaarrgh. Sorry, having a bit of a rant.

Thanks for the advice about tilted uterus, that's really interesting. I am going to ask more about it when we have our next appointment with the consultant.

Thanks again Moonbeam x
  • Hey Mrs Bambino

I can really empathise although it sounds wierd I think have 'unexplained' would have been much harder as there seem to be fewer options

Do temps and LH sticks and or Docs blood tests show that you ovulate??

Re the uterus thing there are a few antevered and retrovered are the tilts and they are not supposed to be a problem and are fairly common. I did ask as I have retroverted tilting uterus. There is another thing called bicornuate which is to do with the shape inside which could be what moonbeans friend suffered from. They correct that with surgery.

If your Hubs motility is slightly lower how about IUI that is much cheaper about hundreds of pounds as apposed to thousands and just one procedure.
    Make sure if you paid for something like IUI then it wouldn't ruin your chances of NHS funding

Really hoping you won't need any of these options
  • Hi J-Jenko, thanks for replying.

Yes, I guess you're right, it might be almost more frustrating in a way if it was 'unexplained' , I hadn't realy thought of it like that. I guess I just find it hard when in theory quite a lot seems in our favour..yet it isn't happening. The only real explanation we've been given is the low motility - and NHS put us on IVF waiting list mainly due to that. So, I guess in the NHS eyes at least the 'explanation' is low motility....aaarrrggghh!

You asked about my temps etc - yes, I definitely ovulate and have had that all tested. Plus a realy regular 27-28 day cycle usually. Thanks for the IUI info - I think I am going to ask our consultant about that when we next see her in a few weeks.

Anyway, thanks so much for taking the time to reply. How are you getting on with everything? xx
  • Hi MrsBambino

Sorry to hear you're having a difficult time. I completely understand and it sounds as if our situations are pretty similar so I totally sympathise too. I don't have as much time on my side as you (I'm 36) but we tick the rest of the boxes - non-smokers, just social drinkers, both good BMI, no history of problems which would link to fertility. Hb's SA came back fine and my blood tests and HSG were clear too, so no obvious reason for any problems. I too have a tilted uterus but so does my sister and she has conceived twice with no problems at all. I know just what you mean that it would be easier if there was something obvious that could be fixed. We've been ttc for nearly 2 years now and on the face of it there seems no reason why it's not working, but we've had nothing, not even a sniff of a BFP.

As for advice, we're trying preseed from this month so will let you know if that works. Also thinking about acupuncture or reflexology, so again will shout if we have any luck. We're just waiting for our letter for our final referral now and are incredibly fortunate that we're in an area with no waiting list for IUI or IVF so will hopefully be starting treatment in the next few months (which is brilliant considering I'm not getting any younger!).

I really hope you're feeling a little better. I'm not sure if I can help your PMA but practically speaking is your hb on all the suppliments he can take? I'm not an expert on that but I know some of the girls on here have partners who have taken enough suppliments to make them rattle, but it's made a huge different to their SA results. If that's your main barrier, perhaps it could make all the difference?

Lots of luck.

xxx
  • Good luck to you chick, I can't remember what my friend had but it sounds like what jjenko described. People think they are helping with their comments but really they are not its so frustrating andyou dont want to say as you dont want them saying watch her she is really sensitive etc

KNow what you mean re cost, we considered just haveing all our initial tests done privately as waiting list is long here and that was so expensive nere mind the IVF really feel for you and hope that you'll not need to go down these routes. Like DG suggested may be some suppliments for you oh or I have heard others on the forum getting hte ohs to 'do the business and then using a syringe to get the swimmers right in their?? May be a possibility? Very sexy mind!! xxxx
  • Hi Daisygirl and Moonbeam,

Daisygirl, thanks for your kind words, i really appreciate it and not that I would wish long term TTC on anyone it is in some ways comforting to know we're not the only ones going through it.

That's great your IVF waiting lists aren't long - I wish you all the very best with it - hopefully this will be your BFP year then! And yes, would be interested to hear how you get on with preseed (gosh, i never thought I'd be telling someone over the internet that i wanted their views on lubricant LOL!!). Every little helps and all that! You mentioned accupuncture - i gave that a go a few months back - i found it relaxing, would recommend, but tbh for me it tended to make me think about TT even more as I had to keep trying to find time to schedule my appointmnet! But saying that I have heard it really does do wonders for some folk. And as I say, definitely very soothing and relaxing. Quite invigorating too.

Thanks also for the supps advice - yes, poor DH rattles, lol! Bless him!

Moonbeam - hello there! you're so right about people and their well meaning but dopey comments...and so true I don't want to be the ''ooh, watch out for her, she's a cry-er!' friend! You cheered me up with the syringe suggestion - i can just see it, sexy lingerie, dim lights, syringe tee hee. Mind you, worth a go maybe!!

Thanks again girls, people on here are so kind. xx
  • :lol: so true about the lubricant - never thought I'd be discussing such things on the internet - thank goodness for anonimity eh?! Have been avoiding preseed for ages because it all sounded a bit clincal and unromantic, but let's face it beggers can't be choosers and if it means we get a BFP on our own I'll swim in the stuff!

Thnaks for the info on the acupuncture. I've comletely given up on trying to relax and not think about ttc - since we're (very gratefully) staring down the barrell of the treatment gun I'll try anything and sod being relaxed about it!!

Really hope this is the year for you too. Sounds as if hb is taking all the right things, so who knows it could be any month now :\)

• Sorry to put the conversation in the gutter but i'm sure i read somewhere that bd'ing in a different position can help people with tilted uterus' concieve? From behind i think it was? imageops: I'm sure i reads that somewhere?....OMG, wat do i read!!! image
  • Daisygirl, you made me laugh re the lubricant and relaxing, lol, yes I know what you mean i have given up on relaxing!! When people say to me " You just need to reeeelax", I'm like "Relax? I am so relaxed I am horizontal - LITERALLY!!" hahaha, goodness, you gotta laugh or you would cry. I've noticed the 'Relax Police' are also usual those who have conceived in like a month or something... xxx
  • haha Tinkerbelle, get out of the gutter lol! Nope, I know what you mean and i think you're right - I'm sure I read that somewhere too. Infact, no i remember, the lady who did my accupuncture told me to go home and (quote) 'do it backwards' I think that was what she meant though!! If someone had told me a few years ago I would be discussing the merits of lubricant, doggy style sex and sticking pins in myself on the internet.... lol. xx
  • Hey ladies
    For the retroverted uterus I read somewhere, aka the internet. That 'lady on top' was the way forward. There was a reasonably gymnastic explanation for that which escapes me. Perhaps you could combine that with the accupuncturists advice.
    We did try - but not the double combo

Worth a whirl - literally image

[Modified by: J-Jenko on January 29, 2009 04:31 PM]

• lol, 'worth a whirl' - i like it! Well, I'm either gonna get very pregnant or very flexible!! xx
  • OMG I THOUGHT PRE SEED WAS EATING A LOT OF SEEDS IN YOUR DIET!!!!!!!!!! LOL
  • Lovin it, so we'll have a very flexible pregnant woman and moonbean eating lots of seeds and wondering wat everyone was talking about!! lol.xx
  • LOL Moonbean, that made me giggle. Just as well you've realised. Imagine the shock if you'd ordered some Pre Seed thinking yo're getting a big bag of sunflower seeds in the post and a big ol tube of lube arrives, sorry, i am giggling away as i type. Don't worry though, i would have not had a clue what preseed was until all this ttc marlarkey! xx
  • I'd have probably squeezed the tube on my cereal!!!! Yum!
  • :lol::lol::lol: Brilliant and totally understandable Moonbeam!