Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility

Pelvic Ultrasound

Hi Ladies,

Does anyone have any experience of Pelvic Ultrasounds?

I have been booked in by my doctor to have one of these as I have spotting sometimes more than a week before my period is due.

I was quite alarmed to learn today that it is a two part examination with the second part involving an internal. I expect my period will have started when the exam is due and wondered whether I should cancel it?

Also with regard to the first part of the exam and needing to have a full bladder, the cover letter says to drink 2 pints of fluid but the leaflet with the letter says 1.5 pints. I am not a pint drinker and so the smaller quantity the better! What is the minimum you think I need to drink and how long do you need to drink it before the test?

Thank you
Sage

Replies

• Hi sage i went for an ultrasound last week for basically the same thing as you. i was told to drink 2 pints of water an hour before which i did however when i got there i was told that i had not drunk enough and would have to do an internal. i too had been spotting which i told the sonographer and she said that it did not matter but i would call and check cos every hospital is different. Lastly the internal scan is not as bad as you think and they were very good and gentle!!!!! I had the all clear a couple of days later and now have been referred to gynae who are seeing me on Fri!! Hope this has helped and good luck xxx
  • Thank you Leanne,
    Glad to know your results were okay.
    I am terrified about having the internal whilst having my period which I know will be in full flow. Re-reading the letter it says don't worry about having your period but I think I would be so embarassed. I don't know what to do.
    Drinking 2 pints there is absolutely no chance. I barely drink that in a day.
    Sage