Forum home› Getting pregnant› Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Did Anyone Else Get Told by GP to try for 24 months??

Hi ladies,

I have been to see my GP and had 21 days bloods done as been TTC for 12 months now. He was friendly enough but said that they won't 'intervene' for 24 months and we really had to push for him to refer DH for semen analysis too. My bloods came back fine and if everything is OK with DH's results do you think we should just keep trying and wait a while or go back and push for a referral? I think I would feel better if I had a scan to see if things look OK?
I am 30 and TTC my first and never even had any sign of anything resembling a BFP and my 2 best friends who have been trying less time are both pregnant which I guess makes it seem even worse!

Replies

• Options
    I have never heard of anyone having to wait 24 months. My doctor referred me to a consultant dealing with infertility issues after just 6 months (i know the usual is a year) as I was 30 and worried!

The GP had done the 21 day bloods and all was fine but said that it is better to get the ball rolling as I was already 30 (which I didn't think was that old! but I guess they think in terms of your fertility).

I am so glad she did as the consultant ordered me an ovarian scan, more thorough blood work and an HSG. It turned out I had PCOS (athough I had no obvious symptoms - it showed up on the scan).
    I was immediately started on Metformin, got my BFP after 6 months on it and now have a gorgeous baby boy.

I have already started on the metformin again as I would like to start ttc no 2 in September.

I think it is awful that the care you receive seems so dependant on the area in which you are from or just dependant on what GP you see.

If I were you I would start to get quite agressive (maybe not quite the rigt word but YKWIM) and 'demand' to be referred as you are aware of the time issues regarding fertility. In my experience it seems to be the people who shout the loudest who get the right care (this shouldn't be the way obviously). If he doesn't keep making apointments every month explaining that you are still worried etc - Alternatively do some research in your area and register with a more sympathetic GP.

Iknow it is horrible when others seem to 'overtake' you in the baby making stakes - we were ttc for 24 months in total before our BFP (which I know is not long compared to some but we we soo desperate to start a family and really felt every month) but you can take charge of the situation by pushing for your referral.

I am assuming you are already doing all the obvious - temp charting/CBFM/Pre seed type stuff etc.

I wish you the best of luck
    xx
  • Options
    Hi Sunshine, sorry you seem to have a rubbish gp, we were trying for 14 months before I went to the docs and I'm now on month 17 but have had 21 day bloods twice, DH has had 2 SA tests, I've had scan and am now waiting for hsg.

I'm also 30 and my DH is 37, so far we have not had any problems show up other than one month it looked like I was not ov, hence the hsg.

I would go back, it takes a long time for all these tests and then you have to wait a while to get next appointment with clinic.

I saw them for my first appointment mid march but can't get another one till the end of may.

Sorry bit of a ramble, hopefully u will get your BFP soon xxx