Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Clomid + Metformin - any experiences??

Hi Girls

After 4 unsuccessful rounds of 100mg clomid after a miscarriage in Feb (before which we conceieved on our first round of clomid 100mg) I have been to see my consultant today who has put me on a constant dose of metformin and clomid days 2 - 6 as usual. Does anyone have any experience of this drug combo? Or just any info on Met - he did explain what it does but I never 100% take in what he says - my mind is always in a spin when I'm in that room!

I feel reassured after seeing the consultant - he is lovely and never questions that we WILL do it - but also feel a bit deflated and I honestly can't put my finger on why.

Fingers crossed we are lucky on this dose but if not I have to go back in 4 months - at which stage he said we would think about a laporoscopy - he said that would be a bit premature at this stage given that we have conceievd relatively recently.

I'm currently on CD26 and still clinging on to shreds of hope that all this will be unnecessary as we'll have got lucky this month - however, I have no symptoms whatsoever and I'm not convinced I've been ovulating recently - so it is a slim hope!

Thanks for reading...

Bex x

[Modified by: rhr79 on 08 September 2009 10:05:22 ]

Replies

• Hi Rhr,
    I am metformin too, I was on it with the clomid but have gone off the clomid and onto another course of treatment along with metformin.
    They usually perscribe it to PCOS suffers as it helps regulate your insulin levels which effects your cycles, it also reduces your testosterone level which again helps regulates your cycles. It is meant to help you ovulate if you have PCOS which means increase the chances of clomid working.
    I was told by my doctor that it can take 90 days for the metformin to take full effect in regulating your cycles.
    My advice would be to always take the metformin with food, I suffered with nauseaous from it from the beginning esp if I didn't take it with a proper meal.
    Hope this helps?! I really hope it works for you... sending you some baby dust!
    xxx

[Modified by: RachieS on September 08, 2009 03:31 PM]

• Thanks for your replies girls!

Sanguine - unfortunately I had period pains this morning so it looks like I will have to take teh metformin! Boo!

Rachie - Its good to know I'm not the only one to be prescribed this! My consultant said I may have PCOS but didn't suggest tests to find out for sure - which I'm a bit annoyed about now thinking about it. I guess I'll just try the met & clomid combo for 3 months and see what happens - surely after that he'll do some tests if we don't get lucky in the meantime?!?!! Thanks also for the advice about taking it with meals - I'll do that for sure!

Thanks again both of you, sending luck and hugs your way xxx
  • I need info please!!!!!! The doc put me on clomide and metformin I'm on my 2nd day on clomide I already have an 8 year old but struggled for 7 year to get prego again do y'all think its gonn help me!?
  • I have PCOS and have been trying for a baby now for 4 yrs.  I dont get natural cycles at all, at first docs said it was because I was a bit overweight (12st 12lb) I have lost over 2 st (10st 9lb) and still no natural cycles.

Hubby has done sperm test and he is all ok, however I was put on Metaformin and had some horrible side effects (diaherrea was one of them) and had to be taken off has it didnt work on me. I agree take it with meals as it can make you feel nauseas. I am now still seeing gyno and have been put on clomid. I had to take noristestore to induce a period and on day 2 of cycle to take clomid (day 2 was yesterday). Today is my 2nd day on clomid. So far I feel a bit sick but nothing to major.

Have a scan next week friday to see if I ovulate!!!! Fingers crossed I have a baby by xmas lol image

My question is how quick should I have sex after my period finishes =in order to takle advantage of clomid???

Thank u all image and Good Luck mummies to be image

Sara xxxxxxx