Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility

hope you don't mind.....

Hi ladies, I am new to this forum and I hope you don't mind me intruding!
I pop into the TTC forum every so often but I was hoping that someone here might be able to give me some advice.
Me and OH have been ttc for 12 months now and we thought we had cracked it this month when i was 5 days late, unfortunately test was a BFN and then AF turned up! I was dissapointed on the day but trying hard to keep my pma up for the sake of us both. (I think OH is finding it more frustrating and is blaming himself!)
I just wondered if any of you thought that it would be a good time to go to the docs now for sperm analysist and blood test. Alot of things i have read have said after a year you can seek advice but then they tell you that most couples won't get pregnant untill after a year of trying anyway.
Just tell me if you think I am being silly and should stop worrying! I probably just need to good talking too!!!!!!
Thanks ladies
xx

Replies

• i would go and see your gp now, what age are you? what age is your oh? it cant do any harm to see your gp and depending on your age they might refer you straight away for tests. xxx
  • Thanks for the reply,
    I am 29 and my OH is 31, neither of us have had any previous children.
    xx
  • Hi sleepalot!

As Diane said there no harm in going to see your GP. Even if they say you have to wait another year it might speed things up a teensy bit down the line (hopefully not needed!).

Hope you get ur BFP soon

xx
  • Sleep alot
    I would go armed to the doctors with details of cycles, whether you get positives on ov sticks. Say you BD every other day.
    They probably will do some blood tests and maybe ultarsound and SA for your hubbie.
    They dont have to test you until two years TTC if you are under 35 but most GPs play ball at one year
    Good luck I think it is a great idea to get the ball rolling
    You never know you might get your BFP in the mean time
  • Thanks for the replies everyone. J-Jenko I think we are along the right lines in thinking! I keep a diary of my cycles and without boring you with tmi we are good at not leaving the BD just down to the times when I am ovulating.
    We have both got the day off thurs so think we are going to get in then.
    Thanks for all the adivice, I'll let you know how it goes.
    xx
  • I think you should defo go now. Most gp's will help after 1yr! They should send you for bloods first then depending on the results, they will either refer you or do further tests! good luck xxx
  • I'm with jjenko go and get the process started if you get bfp in meantime all in good if not you'll be on the way to help so a bit of a focus for you xxxx

Welcome by the way !! LOL xx
  • Great that you've decided to go and lots of luck with the appointments. I was like you and not sure when to go but so glad I went when I did because it got us ahead of the game and we're now having treatment at the 2 year mark. I'm sure there will be no problems at all but if there are, or even if there aren't, going now means you can relax and know that you're doing all you can. Lots of people get their BFPs once they've sought help too because the focus is on something else, so you never know ;\)

xxx
  • Thanks for all the advice and the welcoming ladies, feel much better and we have an appointment at the docs tomorrow. So will let you know how it goes!
    Thanks again everyone, really appreciate it
    xx
  • That's great news, lots of luck tomorrow and let us know how you get on.

xxx
  • Welcome Sleepalot, like the name!

Good luck with the docs. Fingers crossed they'll check you out.
    xx
  • Hi there sleepalot, hope all goes well today for you both and you get a nice doctor willing to help xx
  • Thanks guys, I have just come on quickly to update you from appointment this morning...
    Doctor was fantastic, really helpful and has agreed that I can have my blood tests done to check my hormone levels etc and he is going to contact the hospital to refer the OH for his SA. Think all this process will take about 2 months due to the dates of my cycle and the dates that we need the bloods but I feel good! Feel comfortable that we have a nice doctor who was understanding and willing to be very helpful....
    So fingers crossed.
    If you ladies don't mind I would like to keeo popping into this forum, you have all been very helpful and very understanding, thankyou all so much!
    xxx
  • Ah i'm so pleased the dr was nice and understanding! At least now you're in the system and the ball is rolling.
    xxx
    P.S. you can pop in all you like