Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Agglutination

Hiya LTTC'ers!
I hope you don't mind me joining in in your forum. I have been reading you guys' posts for ages, but never had the courage to post myself - not sure why, I guess it's kind of like admitting we're trying and might have a problem, which we haven't done before.
We've been TTC for 1 yr and just found out that my DH has sperm agglutination :\(. He has to have the test repeated so hopefully it might not turn out to be a problem. His count, motility and morphology were ok, but not brilliant. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of agglutination, or knows anything about what causes it and what can help with it. Anyone conceived with this problem? I have read that high doses of vit c (1000mg) can help and drinking more water, so hoping DH will do those things.
I also have to go for a HyCoSy. Bit nervous about this but have read some of your posts about this, and doesn't sound too bad if it helps towards our goal.

I feel like I 'know' lots of you already, but look forward to getting to know you properly! x

Replies

• Sorry i don't know anything about it, but I just wanted to say hello and welcome to the forum xx
  • Thanks ShellK, that's sweet of you!
  • Hi Hun

Welcome to BB - i'm sure somebody on here is familar with that - thats the great thing about this site - there's always somebody one step ahead of you in the journey. (I hate referring to it as 'process')

We get my OH's SA results next Monday so who knows what they will throw up - i find the waiting is the hardest part - i just want to get on with the treatment!

• Hi Suzannah, thanks for the welcome. Yeah it sure is a journey! I have found it such an unbearbly awful year - I know some of you have been trying even longer - but it's been bad enough already.
    Lots of luck with your OH SA results. I was pretty nervous today, but not as bad as I had thought (I had convinced myself there would be no swimmers whatsoever). I am the same as you - actually said that at the appt. about just wanting to get on with treatment. But we have to have more tests now so will be another few months before we have any answers. We were lucky and got appt at fertility clinic and SA test and results within 3 weeks of me going to my GP.
    I think the wait is so much worse because in many cases we have already waited a long time to start trying in the first place x
  • Hello,

We had the same problem with a s/a along with some other issues, after researching vitamins etc, my husband started taking a selection of about 20, after 3 months he had another test (it takes 90 days for any affect) and all the agglutination had gone, his count had doubled, his motility doubled and those of which were moving forward had increased. I will look out the list if you still need help and post tomorrow.

• Welcome tinybabydancer, hope the next test is better for you. And keep your eye on the goal and you'll get there.
    I've been ttc for 2 years now, and although sometimes it's hard, when I remind myself what it's about, I can pick myself up again.
    xx
  • Hiya Gemsicles, that's great news about your husbands s/a. Have you managed to concieve yet? I'd really appreciate it if you can find the list! He is taking wellman and had been taking a high dose of vit c. He does smoke though so I'm really hoping he'll give up after finding this out but we'll see. It's hard for him to give up during all the stress of TTC as I get so upset about it all the time.

Warrenaj thanks also for the welcome. You're absolutely right. I think I'm just too impatient and wanted this to happen 5 years ago!

I have tried to book my hycosy appt today and have to wait for first day of my period, by which time the appts will probably all be booked. Apparently some have waited 5 mnths and still not got an appt. But I could go private and pay ??300 and get it straight away. Has anyone else had this problem?

Cheers again for all your help girls x
  • Hi Hun
    I think the appointment wait varies area by area.

Some women on here seem to have waited months whilst others weeks!

In my area (Leicester) the wait for just a consultation is 2 months - then you mention the word 'private' and you get an appointment 2 days later!

• Hi suzannah,
    Yeah there does seem to be a lot of variation. It really drives me mad about this private business - might be the route we go down though as I'm desperate to find out the results. I asked if it would affect us getting IVF treatment etc if we needed it and was told we wouldn't be eligible to that anyway as I have to be 36 (which is 9 years away!). We'd better get saving I guess if we want help any time soon.......

Anyone else know anything about the agglutination? The doctor said it means that the sperm clump/stick together so can't swim very well, but didn't say anything about causes / things to improve it.
  • Hey Tiny,

We haven't conceived yet but that is down to my PCOS really, i don't ovulate and have had a hard job getting me to, i have only ovulated four times in the three and a half years we have been ttc. I will dig the list out for you hun and post it on here. x
  • Found it...sorry its so long...its the total list so may not all be relevant...

DH's first s/a:

60 million count
    40% motility
    Slow swimmers
    Some agglutination (clumping together)

DH's second s/a: After 6 months on vits/mins (he was only tested after 6mths not 3mths)

120 million count
    80% motility
    Forward progression good & 40% rapid
    No agglutination

He takes 1 x of the following every day.

(All brought from Holland & Barrett)
    (Roughly ??100 for at least 90 days supply some were sold in greater quantity)
    (It takes 90/100 days for sperm to develop. So improvements aren't immediate)
    (Most of the info was from Zita West's book)

268mg of 400IU-Vitamin E with 50 micrograms selenium (Improves sperm's ability to bind to and penetrate an egg. Selenium is needed to form normal shaped sperm, to maintain a normal sperm count, proper functioning of maturation and motility)

50 micrograms-Selenium (See above-recommended daily dose for men 75mcg)

1000mg-Vitamin C with bioflavonoids (Low levels linked to genetically damaged sperm-can cause birth defects. Improves sperm motility and count. Prevents sperm clumping together.

15mg-High strength amino acid chelated zinc with 0.75mg copper (Needed for motility and good sperm count, Zinc reduces excessive oestrogen levels in men which is linked to low sperm count)

75mg-Super Co-enzyme Q10 (Not sure of exact benefits but heard its a good all rounder)

500 micrograms-Vitamin B12 (Low levels are associated with abnormal sperm production, reduced counts and reduced motility)

500mg-L-Arginine (Studies show it can double sperm count)

400 micrograms-Folic acid (Improves sperm count and motility and reduces morphological abnormalities)

200 micrograms-Chromium picolinate (Gynae told me to get it for DH's problems, which were slow swimmers, clumping together, 40% motility)

500mg-L-Carnitine (Essential for normal functioning of sperm)

500mg-Calcium magnesium (250mg magnesium/500mg calcium)-(Calcium aids the absorption of vitamin B12. Gynae told us to get magnesium for DH's problems, which were slow swimmers, clumping together, 40% motility)

Hope this helps.

x

[Modified by: Gemsicles on July 22, 2009 12:36 PM]

• Hi Gemsicles, sorry to hear you have PCOS as well - that must be so frustrating, especially after sorting out the s/a problems. I hope someone manages to help you with ovulating soon.

Thank you SO MUCH for that list - it's really helpful! Also really reassuring to see the huge improvement - that's really impressive!
    I am thinking of buying the zita west book as it sounds good. I have taking charge of your fertility, which is quite useful, but not detailed enough about what I want to know. Plus I don't do BBT which is mainly directed at.

So did your DH have to take these all in separate tablets? I am going to check how many of them are in the one he currently takes, and has been taking for quite a few months now. He has also been on the high strength vit c (1000mg) for a couple of months. So I am slightly concerned that maybe his recent s/a was AFTER improvements from taking viatmins..........maybe it was even worse before this. But will never know that, so will just have to hope that continuing to take them will lead to further improvements. Only trouble is that he reckons high strength vit c can cause cancer and the doctor we saw agreed with this.........(very unhelpful). We have not yet had any advice about his s/a and will not be allowed to see a consultant until after my hycosy, so think we will end up going private.
    Thanks again for your help x

[Modified by: tinybabydancer on July 22, 2009 06:55 PM]

• Hey Tiny,

Thanks hun, it is very frustrating.

We couldn't believe the improvements, totally amazed.

I have both books and i def find Zita West more helpful and reader friendly, i find the TCOYF one is alot of info about nothing if you get what i mean image.

Yes, they are all seperate tablets, we did try to find a multi with all or most of them in but we couldn't get one, either it had hardly any of the required ones in or it had the right ones but the wrong quantity. Just try everything you can hun and hopefully the combination will lead to further improvements. I didn't know about the link between cancer and high dose of Vit C, thats worrying.

Good luck hun, if i can help anymore just shout image.

xx
  • Hi Gemsicles, thanks again! And for the advice on the books - I agree about TCOYOF! I was disappointed because loads of people had said that they got pregnant first month after buying it......I got it about 8 months ago!
    Not sure my hubbie would agree to take so many tablets - probably not - he has more of a 'lets just wait and see what happens' attitude.....which means he's nice and calm, but it's quite infuriating when we know he actually does seem to have a few issues, so waiting and seeing could last a long long time. Good luck to you too. xx
  • No probs. I was really disappointed with TCOYF too. Maybe see if hubbie will take just a few of them, maybe just the ones for agglutination.

Take care xx
  • Hiya

On the subject of VItamins for SA do you know if you can buy a combined vit c1000mg/ zinc 15mg? For those ladies that have read my "All dreams on hold post", you will know that im going through a very rough time with my OH so am not actively TTC at the moment but wanted to ask so i can find/stock up for when things get better ( fingers crossed they do improve!). I have found vit c 1000mg/ zinc 10mg in boots but would like to get one with the right dose of zinc as i know i wont get OH to take more than one suppliment. Any advice would be greatfuly recieved. xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Hiya Princess Star, I have purposely been getting ones without any zinc in as my hubbie is taking 'wellman' as well which is a multivitamin and has zinc in. He begrudgingly takes the wellman and half a 1000mg vit c at the moment. Which is better than nothing! Not sure he'll take any more until a doctor tells him to though. If I see any with 15mg of zinc in I'll let you know.
    Sorry to hear about having to put things on hold, that must be a real blow for you. How are you coping with it all? xx
  • Hi Tinybabydancer,

To be honest its realy breaking my heart. The problems couldnt have come at a worse time for me, Ive spent the last 8 mnths trying to get some help from the gp. Finally get a scan then a CD21 bloods & a long awaited app after gp refered me to gynie. Im due to go to my first app on 19th Aug. My OH cant come as he wont be able to get the time off work & my mom would have come for moral support but shes on holiday! To be honest im too frightened to broach the subject with OH. Im scared he wont want to try again. Im nearly 32 and OH is almost 40 so im especially aware that with the problems i have, namely POCS, my fertility will just decrease with time. I no men feel a sense of wanting a child but he doesnt understand like you ladies that its a physical, emotional and mental longing. When that biological clock starts ringing its all consuming.
    Thankyou for the tips about vitamins, are the wellman good I was actually looking at them? might just get the 1000mg vit c/10mg zinc to be going on with.
    Hope all go's well on your journey & hope to be hearing of BFP very soon! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Hi Princessstar, it really sounds like you've been through such a lot. I'm not surprised you're feeling down. Maybe it is worth going to the appt anyway, and explaining the situation - I'm sure they have seen lots of similar situations with couples TTC as the stress is bound to get to even the strrongest of relationships at some point. I know exactly what you mean about that longing in every sense of the word.....it's a terrible feeling, just so empty and incomplete.... At least you are only 32 - that does still give you a long time to play with (but I understand that its not much consolation). Has your OH seen his GP about how he's feeling? He should be able to get antidepressants or psychological therapy ro help....maybe if he's feeling in a better place generally, he will feel more able to cope with and take action in the difficulties related to TTC. Equally, if you go to the appt, you may feel more in control and positive about things, and thus more able to support him in his depression. I can sympathise, my hubbie not quite as bad, but at times I do worry that he is getting quite depressed (mainly due to my constant longing, thinking about TTC, crying when AF arrives or we don't have sex at the right time etc....) - everyone keeps saying 'just relax and it will happen', but it's blimmin hard to do that when TTC for a long time.
    No worries about tips. Wellman seem to have most of the recommended things for improving sperm in them, but only at very low doses.....but I guess this is better than none at all, as my hubbie is not willing to take loads of tablets at this stage. The other one we've used is sanatogen pronatal for men (you can get a 'his and hers' pacl). You can also get 1000mg vit c in tesco and sainsbury but not sure how much zinc they have in them.
    Does he have any particular difficulties in his s/a? If not, I'd say a multivit would be best???
    Good luck to you too!
    Seems so weird hearing you entertain the idea of a BFP for me - I absolutely cannot imagine it ever happening anymore xx
  • Tinybabydancer

I will never give up hope for you or any of the other lovely ladies on BE as you all deserve it so much. You all have your own stories & have been through such alot. While there is hope for you all there is hope for me !

OH hasnt actually had SA done & to be honest im not sure he would agree. I have lots of reservations about it as if the results arent good im worried he would come to resent me for asking him and making him feel less of a a man. Im hopeing vits would just improve quality & that i wont have to ask. As i concieved last Aug im hopeing this is a good sign that his swimmers are ok. Have you any thoughts on this?

I guess at the moment im scared full stop of upsetting the applecart. As ive said OH is quite old fashioned & to be honest dosent realy understand. I know the thought of another MC terrifies him. He misguidedly thought that i didnt have a prob concieveing but had a problem carrying a PG. When i had a scan the day i had MC sonographer said my cervix was still closed and linning was aronud 7mm roughly what it should of been, but couldnt see the sac. As it was so early they werent concerned. It was later that bloods revealed that id had MC.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx