Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

21 Day bloods .....help in understanding results?**UPDATED**

Hi

I'm usually over on the ttc forum. Thought perhaps you could help.

I had my 21 day bloods almost 2 weeks ago and was hoping for a bit of clarity regarding my results.

Could anyone help with what would be the normal levels for LH, FSH, Progesterone, Oestradiol and Prolactin?
The Docter didn't really go through my results and said she's referring me for a scan as she thinks I may have PCOS.
Has anyone been diagnosed with PCOS and maybe could you help with your test results?

Nadine ;\)

*************************************************************************************************************************

Well got home about an hour ago and still trying to digest everything that happened.
Gyne agreed that my LH and FSH were done on the wrong day and said they could be tested btw day 2 and 8....I'm day 8 today....so he sent me for a blood test.
I had a scan and it confirmed that I have PCOS. Worse on my right side than my left.
Gyne is reffering me for a laparoscopy (think that's it) where they will admit me to hospital and insert a camera via my belly button and see if I have any blocked tubes. That is booked for the 1st Sept.

Have a follow up appoinment on Monday evening for more info and blood test results.

I'm just sitting here....pretty shocked and numb......

Nadine

[Modified by: Nadine25 on 21 August 2009 22:22:11 ]

Replies

• Hi Nadine
    I have pcos but dont really know too much about the blood levels.
    I only know that your proestrogen levels have to be over 30 to show ovulation and under this mean no ov.
    In pcos testorone is usually higher too.
    Sorry cant be much help.
    Your scan will be more conclusive X
  • Hi Nadine,
    I can't really add much to what looby has already said as progesterone is the only level I know.
    Just wanted to say hi and welcome though xx
  • Thanks ladies.

I have progesterone level of 26.....so guess that's no ovulation then.

I have an appointment with a gyne on Friday afternoon to discuss the scan and perhaps I'll ask him then to explain a bit more about blood test results. I'll update you on what info he gives me.

Thanks for the info though.

Nadine ;\)
  • Hi Nadine

My levels were also under 30, we had our first appointment at the fertility clinic last week and the doctor said anything above 20 indicates ovulation so she wasn't concerned! She said alot of people believe that the levels should be above 30 but they are happy if it's above 20??

I had two bloods done, one was 20 and the other 29

I am now totally confused as to whether I ov or not so it will be intersting to see what you get told

Good luck with your appointment xx
  • Hi again Nadine. I was also told 30, but I know different docs use different levels for things....Also, are you CERTAIN you had the test done 7 days after you ovulated? If not, the levels may have been a little lower. Just an idea. From what people with PCOS have said, they have much lower levels than 26 (e.g., 1). Good luck for Friday. x
  • Hi
    After hardly sleeping and being worried all day I went to the docs this evening to get my day 3 and day 21 results. AND THEY WERE FINE!!!!!!!!!

FSH: 6.7
    LH: 6.7
    Progesterone: leapt up to 57

Nadine these are the figures I was given:
    FSH; 15ng/ml (so yours is fine)

Very pleased just anxious for hubby as its his turn now. Not sure if we should get it done in the next few days or wait until after I have ovulated and then do it. In some respect feel more woried there may be something wrong on his side, as he had an undescented testicle when he was a little boy. The wiating starts again. At least i have my new shiny CBFM to play with this month!!
  • Mrs Baby no1 - thanks for the info....it is rather confusing...but will keep you updated.

Tinybabydancer - I'm not 100% sure that it was 7 days after ovulation...coming to think of it...I think it may have been less. Was not aware it had to be exactly 7 days after as dr just said to go on day 21.

Muffin34 - thanks for all the info. I have my info below....
    FSH - 3.6
    LH - 8.2
    Prog - 26
    Prolactin - 535
    Oestradiol level - 405

DH sa is perfect.....his swimmers are more than double the normal amount. Dr was well impressed with his results!

Will let you know what the gyne says on Friday.

Nadine ;\)
  • Hi again Nadine. Day 21 is fine if your cycle is 28 days, but if your cycle is longer or shorter you should really go 7 days afer ov....but my doc didn't tell me that either. They just assume evryone has a 28 day cycle which is clearly not the case! I'm sure your prog level is fine based on all the info.

Did you have your FSH and LH done on day 2-4? My understanding is that that is when they should be done or they are meaningless, but not certain on that one. x
  • Your oestrogen should have also been tested on day 2-4 too. n day 21 the only real useful test is progesterone.
  • Now I'm well and truly confused. FSH and LH were done with my 21 day bloods....not day 2-4....why would she say to do it then when it really shouldn't have been done then.

I think I'll just leave it to the gyne on Friday to explain things.....I'm taking a notepad with me....incase I forget anything.

He'll probably suggest the blood tests to be re-done.

And thanks again for all the info and advice.

Will keep you all updated

Nadine ;\)
  • Hi Nadine, I agree probably best not to worry until you've discussed with gyne - sounds like your GP is not necessarily too sure of what they're doing. GP's aren't experts in fertility, so you will get better advice from your gyne. I really don't think you should worry about your results given that the FSH, LH and oestrogen should have been done on day 2-4, and you day 21 bloods may have been done a little early. Not that I'm an expert either!!! Good luck and try not to worry xx
  • Nadine my Zita West book has been very helpful its called Fertility and Conception and I got mine off amazon. It help me to understand my results.
  • Hi Nadine

So sorry your results weren't what you were hoping for. But there are two positive things to come out of today:

1. the date for your lap and dye (I think?) has come through really quickly... it can be such a lottery, and it's great you don't have to wait for months. I haven't had one done, but I know others on LTTTC have and they can advise you on what's involved.

2. they have diagnosed PCOS, and while I'm sure that's not something you want to celebrate, at least you know what you are dealing with. I'm not wanting to belittle the condition, but there are so many success stories of women who have got their BFPs following teartment with clomid etc, that there is a lot of hope for you. (I'm coming at it from the point of view of someone with unexplained subfertility for 18 months - I sometimes wish I had something concrete I could at least address!)

Understand completely that you feel numb. Enjoy a hug from your OH, and I hope that you will look back on the day you got these results as a big positive step towards our BFP. I hope Monday goes well.

xx
  • Hi MrsD.....

Think that's right....a lap and dye....will ask the ladies what their experiences were like.....thanks! Hope it doesn't end up showing more problems.

I suppose you are right and at least we know now where we stand and look for a way forward. I'm just glad it got diagnosed now and not years down the line. Even though it's not good news....I am feeling somewhat more focused.

I'm sorry to hear that you're on your 18 month of ttc. You sound like a positive person and think that can only be a good thing when ttc. I've got my fingers and toes crossed that we all get our well deserved bfp's soon.

Nadine
  • Really sorry to hear that Nadine. Must be horrible shock, especially if you get fairly regular cycles. I agree with what MrsD says though. I'm not surprised you felt numb initially, but once you've had time to process it all properly, I'm sure you will feel more positive. It is much better to know what's wrong than to have that disappointment of AF arriving every month... Loads and loads of luck Nadine, keep us updated, and really hope you L&D is ok xxx
  • Hey Nadine,

I think we are in the same boat - I too have PCOS and have my scan tomorrow to see how bad it is and like you say if it affects both ovaries. I don't actually have my exact hormone levels from the test which I need to get as my acupunturist wants them, but my progesterone was very low and testosterone very high so the doc said it was conclusive PCOS. I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone and I'm not just another statistic as I'm a real person going through the same thing as you. My doctor told me 10% of all women have it but it doesn't really help you come to terms with it until you 'talk' to real people. The Verity website is great and there are a couple of brilliant posts on here too. I started one and some very kind ladies who had babies with PCOS replied which is always heart-warming.

I totally understand how you feel. I told my DH I was fine after my appointment and then I sat in my car and sobbed. It was just so hard to come to terms with it even though we have been ttc for 18 months with no success so I knew something was up. I'm not overweight but I do suffer with bad skin around my jaw line which is a symptom, although my periods are regular ish at 35-40 days. But I decided that I am not powerless and there are things I can do to make positive changes. I got a couple of books from the library about what to eat and have cut refined sugar from my diet. I also started acupuncture which has really cleared up my skin so I can only hope it's doing good inside. It's just small changes but I feel better that I am doing something to help myself as opposed to just relying on doctors. My DH has been a rock of strength too and I don't know what I would do without him. It just affirms to me that we married each other for the long haul and to support each other through all the crap that comes out of life and not just the good times.

Good luck for your next appointment. I am sorry you got bad news too but I am hoping we can share stories as we seem to be in exactly the same place at the same time.

Big hugs,

S xx
  • Have another update....went for the follow up with the gyne and he confirmed pco. He says my ovaries are a normal size.
    He wants to continue with the lap and dye on the 1st Sept to check for any blockages. Fingers crossed there aren't any.

SarahW 2007 - Good luck for your scan tomorrow. I hope it's not bad news. But know that we are here for you anyway.
    I'm in a very similar situation as you and take great comfort in knowing I can share my story with someone in a similar position. I'm not overweight either (but typical woman always think I can lose just a couple more pounds). My BMI is 20 I think.

Let us know how you get on tomorrow.

Nadine ;\)
  • Sarah... hope the scan goes well today!! Thinking of you, let us know how you get on.
    Nadine... fantastic news that your ovaries are normal size. Good luck with the lap and dye.
    xx
  • That's great news about your ovaries being normal size Nadine. I hope the lap & dye shows no blockages too. I am sitting here nervous as could be about my scan and can't concentrate on work!! BE is helping a lot though!!

My appointment is at 3.40 p.m. so I'll be back on here tomorrow to tell all. I have to drink 2 pints of water before I go too. Kind of hoped my first ultrasound would be in different circumstances but I guess we all know that feeling.

Thanks for the well wishes too RachieS. Not long for you now to wait - how are you holding up? I'm not going to ask about symptoms!!

S xx
  • Ah hun, it sucks doesn't it having to have the ultrasound under these circumstances. Sending you a huge hug! xx Hopefully though they will put your mind at ease. Have they started you on metformin yet? Or are they waiting until after this appt?!
    I am doing Ok, I just want sunday to come or my af to arrive now. I am not particularly enjoying this 2 ww tbh!!!! I think I found this one the hardest!
    xxx