Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

SA Results - Help Understanding?

Hi Girls,

We have had the results from the SA DH had recently, there are -

Count 120 million/ml
80% Motility
Good Progression (whatever that means!)
Negative Sperm Antibodies
Morphology 4%

Now it's the last one that worries me...surely that should be higher?

Opinions?? xx:\?

Replies

• G/C from pregnancy - saw this on the home page. I used to carry out these tests in the lab I worked in.

The results are overall very good. Good progression, means that of the sperm that are motile (moving), most of them (usually more than 50% are moving forward at a good progressive speed therefore in the right direction. Sometimes you get sperm that move in circles, or move very slowly (which would not be classed as good)
    I wouldnt worry too much about the morphology result. It is considered a very good result if 15% of the sperm have a good morphology (which means the shape). Your hubby has a very high sperm count, so in effect it it shouldnt actually matter that the morphology figures are at the lower end of the scale, the count bumps up the actual numbers of sperm that are in the normal morphology category.
    If you think about it - of the 120 million/ml sperm your hubby has - 80% of them are moving forward at a good speed and 4% of them are shaped correctly (BTW it is possible that the sperm that are slightly mis shaped - and classed as not normal morphology can fertilise an egg). Those are huge numbers (millions) of sperm in every ml of sperm that are perfectly capable of swimming the distance and fertilising the egg.
    The negative anti sperm antibody result is good, which is all you really need to know about that.

Very good results - congrats to your hubby

xax

[Modified by: xxAmbersMum2bxx on September 28, 2009 10:19 PM]

• yep, i agree, a brillient result, well done, that must be a relief x