Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

HSG/Laparoscopy

Hi Ladies

We've been ttc for 16 months now and after initial appointment at sub fertility ive been diagnosed with PCOS. I've to wait on results from blood tests etc then they will get me back for hsg (and prescribed clomid if not ovulating).

My question is what is the difference between a hsg and a laparoscopy? Do you need to have both and do you need a general anaesthetic for both?

Any advice would be appreciated

xxx

Replies

• Hiya, laparoscopy is a keyhole procedure and only involves making several (two to four) small cuts on your abdomen. This is done under local anaesthetic.
    A hysteroscopy is a procedure that allows your surgeon to look inside your womb (uterus) using a narrow tube-like telescopic camera called a hysteroscope.

I had both last year. If you do have to have a lap - I would try and get signed off of a week afterwards - it's slightly uncomfortable and I found I would have been to uncomfortable to sit at a desk / drive for quite a few days.

Good luck
    Gerbera x

[Modified by: gerbera on August 18, 2010 07:30 AM]

• Hi Gerbera

Thanks for your response and advice.

I think i maybe put the wrong thing on my topic title, is a hysteroscopy the same as Hysterosalpingogram? Or is that to check your tubes?

What are they looking for when doing a laparoscopy?

Thanks again xx
  • Hi Laura,

I had a laparoscopy and dye a couple of months ago. It was a general anesthetic I got so I wasn't aware of anything that was going on. They were checking to see if there were any blockages in my tubes or endometriosis that could be preventing things from happening.
    I had 2 cuts - one at my tummy button and a tiny one lower down. They then insert gas to inflate your tubes and a dye to see if it flows through the tubes successfully.
    I had very slight endometriosis and a tiny blockage, nothing serious. I was a bit sore after but OK. Got painkillers to take. I got the op on a Friday so had the weekend to recover. Was back to work on Monday,

All went very smoothly. I'm on the waiting list for IUI or IVF now.

Hope you get on OK Laura.

Tina x
  • Hi Tina

Thanks for your response. I'm quite squeemish and hate the thought of all that but my friend who has twins said i best get used to it as you're literally a pin cushion when pregnant!

Hope all goes well with your iui or ivf.

xx
  • I got married in 2011.I am try to conceive..

Did all the blood tset and didn't have Pcos or cist anything.

also i ger hystero laproscopy also came to know that there is no blockage in tube as wel..

Also gone for scan ..uterus and ovaries..its alo norma..

What could be the reason for not conceiving..

My husband report say  that sperm count is normal..

• Have been booked in for laparoscopy as hsg results weren't as clear as hoped. Gutted this is the path it is taking but if there's a baby at the end of the tunnel ill do anything they suggest

• Just wanted to tell people what the lap was like... I was very nervous about it before i went in that day and admittedly the long wait in the waiting area was horrid (about 4 hours sat there without word of when you would be seen) but once I was called in the 1st time (You have to go back and forth between consultation room and waiting room for a while, so they can check stuff and take blood pressure, further MRSA swabs etc etc) I felt instantly relaxed as the nurses, & my existing consultant, at the hospital were so friendly and chatty. I had been given an 11am slot but in reality wasn't called in for anything at all until 1pm. Things finally got going at 3pm. Again the nurses who took me down were uber friendly and we were taken to a room to get changed into the oh-so-fetching hospital gowns. We sat here with magazines, (the nurses ensured anyone who'd not brought their own dressing gowns/slippers was given extra blankets) and one by one got taken to theatre. Firstly i was taken into a very small room with the anesthetist & 2 other staff members. I was asked to lie on the bed, given a injection of something I forget the name of but it was to relax me I think, then the final thing was the anaesthetic-after that i remember nothing. I woke in the ward at about 4pm and my consultant appeared about 30mins later and told me there and then there were no complications/scar tissue to remove etc and that we would be offered assisted fertility (we still have concerns on my husbands side).Visiting hours weren't til 8.30pm and I was feeling abit groggy but chirpy.  Bandages were changed and I was regularly offered water.  About 5pm i was offered a light meal and an hour after that my husband was allowed to come in and see me (even though it wasn't visiting hours). They have to monitor you until you do your first wee so i was unable to leave til 8.30pm. Often you may be kept in overnight.  All in all a pleasant experience - sore belly for few days after and the actual incision area sore to the touch for about a month but has now totally healed in both areas. Where the scar tissue felt 'lumpy' a month ago, this has now smoothed. Now that the skin is healed I am using Bio-Oil on the scars. Hope this helps anyone who is worried and about to go for a lap. Any other questions just ask!

• Oh...and we got pregnant naturally a fortnight after having it!!!

• Hsg is totally different to the hysteroscopy, far less 'invasive'. The hysteroscopy is a camera placed inside you through your cervix (I think), laparoscopy is through your skin and hsg is nothing the same, you'll probably be glad to hear!

I had hsg test in January. It's honestly no big deal, I was dreading it but it was fine. They inject dye into your tubes via your cervix, then they x-Ray you to check your tubes are clear. People have described it as "worse than child birth", which terrified me. Perhaps they're just dramatic or it was, on the off-chance, terrible for them, but I thought it felt a bit like the pre-period cramps you get a day or so before...like a mild twisty feeling. As soon as the dye stops being pumped, the crampy feeling ends. Honestly, you'll be fine image Good luck image 

• Ps. I too have pcos (lean type), ttc for 14 months and now on my first cycle of Clomid. Similar story to you image