Forum home› Getting pregnant› Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

has anyone had a laporoscopy?

Hi ladies,

haven't been on here for a while as have been waiing for this appointment for last 12 weeks and its finally getting closer. i go in a week on tuesday and i'm beginning to get nervous.
jus wondering if anyone else has had this done and if so can u tell me all about it. also my af is due the day before so am i ok to still have it done??

hope ur all ok n doing well

love han x

Replies

• Options
    hi hannah,

i had a lap last year but mine wasnt investigative, it was to remove a cyst, so will prob be a bit different. The worst part was recovering from the anasthetic - i felt really sick afterwards. I had a cut in my bellybutton and two either side, tho some surgeons seem to do one another cut. I felt sore afterwards but not in agony, more tender and that was with cyst removal.

Just a point - watch out for the sticthes - mine became infected and i was really stressed about them but a simple course of antibiotics did the trick. I knew they were infected because they became sore and painful and a bit weepy! (sorry)

Good luck and it really isnt too bad - like i said, mine would have been worse as they were actually cutting away the cyst xx
  • Options
    Sorry to g/c but I am also due to have a lap and dye in a few weeks too so would like to here peoples experiences and starting to get very nervous.

Lizzy xxxx
  • Options
    I had a lap last year too but again this was to remove a cyst. As samsa says, you will have a small cut in your belly button and then two others either side. I had a further cut just on my bikini line for a drain but this will have been due to the cyst. The only cut that became infected was the one on my bikini line and again with a course of antibiotics i was fine after around 10 days. I was in hosp for 4 days after my lap, but some people are out the next day. Depends on how you feel after wards. The most uncomfortable thing after wards is bloating and wind. When you have a lap, they blow your abdomen up with gas and some of it can get trapped in there afterwards when they close you up. The pain you get can usually be felt in your shoulder blades. The best thing i found was peppermint.
    I also found it uncomfortable for a few days afterwards when going to sit down or lay down, or get up from these positions. Its amazing how the small incisions affect your tummy muscles and it makes you realise how much you use your tummy muscles.
    You will be absolutly fine, Just make sure you have peppermint on hand for afterwards.
  • Options
    Can you tell i just love Google lol??

http://www.ivf.com/laprscpy.html

I found this website for you, it is an IVF website but it just gives you all the details about a laparoscopy, whether looking for Endometriosis or something else!!! It does look very informative, good luck x
  • Options
    thanks ladies for this. gonna have a look at that website now.
    i understand i'm gonna feel uncomfortable afterwards and i'm so crap with pain so probably gonna overeact a bit wen it happens. not happy with the wind bit tho. always get traspped wind wen i ovulate n it floors me. ah well i'm doin this for a good reason.

thanks again ladies xx
  • Options
    I dont know if you'll agree but i thought that website was bloody good on giving info image
  • Options
    Hi!
    I had a laparoscopy and dye last month for investigative purposes. It wasn't as bad as i thought it would be. Had 1 cut in my belly button and 1 cut on the left side of my abdo. Was in a bit of pain when woke up from the aneasthetic so they gave me some pain killers which helped. Felt a bit dizzy afterwards and initially struggled to have a wee!! But went home the same day. Was back at work after a week and fine. As far as the wind pains go, i would recommend soluble paracetamol with warm water and a bit of peppermint cordial in it, works a treat!! Hope it all goes well for you both.
    Tink.xx
  • Options
    Hi,
    I had a lap and ovarian drilling about 3 weeks ago to sort out my polycytic ovaries.

I'm going to be totally honest- it was a bit worse than I had expected but I think a lot of it was down to the ovary part of the op. There were people on the ward who just had the lap and said it was fine and they seemed to recover a lot quicker than me despite me going to theatre before them.

I had one small cut just below my belly button and 2 at the top of my bikini line, I had a lot of shoulder pain- this is because they aggreviate a nerve in your diaphragm when they inflate your belly and it sends deferred pain to your shoulder.

I was out the same day and went on holiday 5 days later. It was quite painful for about 3 days and then started to ease. I had dissolvable stitches (some of which are still in) but at times I struggled to get comfortable when sitting or lying down.

I'd have it done again without a doubt so don't let me put you off! However, I'd say just be prepared for some moderate pain afterwards. It'll be worth it in the end xxx
  • Options
    hey,

ah tinkerbelle u've eased my mind a little. will get the soluble paraceptamol n peppermint cordial in on monday.

hope10: i'm in for lap and dye so hoping it isn't too bad, i hope u've recovered now tho, not so keen on the uncomfortableness of lying/ sitting. my DH can do some waiting on me i thinkimage

i want a bump: thnaks for that link, its very useful. and informative. cheers for that.

i was gettin concerned as my af is due the day before i go in, but i've phoned up and told them n they say its not a problem, they jus use a diff liquid.

well this time next week i'll be done n hopefully all will be fine. gonna get in loads of peppermint things to help. my poor hubbie will jus have to put up with it. heheh

thanks so much for all ur input. you've all eased my mind xxx
  • Options

I have to have a laparascopic operation and I am so scared.
    Can anyone explain what happens from going into hospital to the recovery room?
    I would really appreciate it if anyone could.

http://www.sujayhospital.com/news_bulletins_inner.php?news_id=1