Forum home› Getting pregnant› Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

PCOS and no AF...help please

Hi ladies,

In the scheme of things im fairly new to all this, however i had an ectopic in Oct and unfortunalty no af since! My doc's finally agreed to do some blood tests, as i already have been diganoised PCOS, I got a phone call friday to request i come in for appointment tomorrow monring apparently my levels were out of the 'normal' ranges and i was told it was "complicated" and my doc wanted to talk it through with me.

I guessing (i know i shouldnt) my hormones are out, (i also have raging acne, migraines and nose bleeds at the moment!) and ive been reading up about it, but can anyone give any advice about what i should be asking for to kick start my period? I am desperate for a baby and want to move things along. Would it be likely to be clomid? or a projestrone tablet? anything else?

Any help would be very appreciated, hopefully i can go with some info...

Thankyou so much in advance, I will let you know the results

Gemma x

Replies

• Options
    Thanks Gem,

The agnus castus is a good idea, i was taking it before i got pregnant last time, so dont know why i did'nt think of it again!

My GP has told me today that i have next to nothing progestrone, therefore no ovulation! She has requested another blood test in a week or so (to compare from last month) and also referred me for a scan to check my overies and make sure nothing dodgy going on since my ectopic last year (it was very badly managed, ended up having laperscopsy and then methotrexate!)

Anyway once i have those results back she will refer me to the fertility clinic, so still a few weeks yet before i get any med's. Im guessing that it will intially be a progestrone tablet/ injection to see if that helps.

Im feeling okay today, she didint tell me anything i wasnt expecting, its just upseting to be having to go down this road, particulaly as every single one of my friends (without exception) is pregnant or has
    had a baby in the last year. As much as i am happy for them, i do find it difficult to keep looking at scan pictures, smiling at baby bumps and showing interest in newly decorated nurserys, particualy as i would have been 28 weeks now. I dont mean to sound bitter but unless people have been through this type of thing its very hard for them to understand. I am fed up of people telling me to relax and try not to think about it, easy for them to say when they have never expereinced the panic of a mc, or the frustration and sadness of constant gp and hospital appointments, and the crushing feeling when another month passes and you are no closer...

sorry for the rant, it just sometimes its easier to vent on here to people who understand. The girls on this website and various forums have been fantastic, dont know how i would have coped without it!

Anyway, hope this is a better month for you all,

Good luck and thanks again for taking the time to read...

Gem x
  • Options
    hi gem

sorry to hear of your mc.

i know when i was having a long cycle before the doctor suggested i get a provera injection to kick start me off. in the end i didn't need it as af arrived herself but you could ask if its an option for you.
  • Options
    Hi Gem

you sent some advice over on the MC and ectopic support. Am so sorry about everything thats happened. I know what you mean about your friends not having the slog and the worries. It seems so easy for some people. I am absolutely stupified that people do it in the first month !! How is that possible
    Calculated as I am not sleeping that easily at the moment that in the last two months I have had 35 blood tests, two general anasethitics, hyperstimulation and MC/ectopic

As Tasha says to induce bleeding your doctor will give you provera then you can start the clomid. Its meant to be fab stuff I was really hoping to be prescribed it but we ended up with IVF owing to age PCOS dodgy tube and Male factor.

A couple of people got PG in the first cycle. Fingers crossed that you will be wheeling everyone proudly around the new nursery.

Take care
    XX

• Options
    *in the last two months I have had 35 blood tests, two general anasethitics, hyperstimulation and MC/ectopic*

"well... if you'd just relax"... ha bloody ha!

Thanks for your feedback, im not sure why my doc wont prescribe me anything herself, and wants me to go to fertility clinic, i dont mind really, however i wont be happy to wait for months on end...esp if all i need is some tablets!

I'll keep you updated!

How are you anyway?

Gem x

[Modified by: GEM78 on February 23, 2009 10:57 PM]

• Options
    Hey Gem... Yup just relaxing figuring if I I listen to some wind chimes everything will be fine and dandy. Forgot the twenty plus transvaginal scans! Not too bad bit tearful but should be able to get back to exercise etc in a few days off to work tomorrow which is a good thing for me.

Not all GPs do prescribe clomid - mine wouldn't do it and reffered us. However if you have PCOS there is a chance that you could over stimulate with clomid. The clinic will monitor that so much more effectively its worth the wait to be on the safe side. Is only blood tests and or scans but the GP is just not equipped to do this. Would only be for the first month to see how you get on

feeling really positive that this clomid will be a winner
  • Options
    Hi im sorry to gate crash here ladies but i have a transvaginal scan on thursday, can anyone advise what I can expect?

Thanks alot xx
  • Options
    hey loobylou

Wear a skirt as is easier. there is nurse/chaperone present ususally. Pop behind curtain take off pants/tights and they give you a sheet to cover lower abdomen which is good for modesty protection
    Shuffle down so bottom is in line with end of bed and legs in the stirrups ...hmmm
    They dim the lights at my clinic. The probe is covered in condom for sterility and some lubricant.
    It really doesn't hurt at all much easier than a smear

Usually these days they show you your ovaries etc on the monitor which I find quite helpful

Good luck

[Modified by: J-Jenko on February 24, 2009 12:31 PM]

• Options
    Thanks so much Jenko, my Doctor told me it would be like an ultra sound scan when you are pregnant (:\?)!! When I read the info they sent I didnt think it sounded much like an ultra sound and thought it meant it would be internal, at least I know what to expect now, thanks again xx
  • Options
    Thanks so much Jenko, my Doctor told me it would be like an ultra sound scan when you are pregnant (:\?)!! When I read the info they sent I didnt think it sounded much like an ultra sound and thought it meant it would be internal, at least I know what to expect now, thanks again xx