Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

thanks - new to LTTC

First post on BE but I've been a lurker for a while after hearing about the site on the YAYW forums. So sorry for what everyone is going through but just wanted to thank you all as you've all really helped me get to know what to expect with doctors and hospitals!

Unfortunately I coming straight on to LTTC as we've been trying since we got married last Sept. I have short cycles so we reached 12 cycles at end of July so went to the docs as I'd just turned the grand old age of 35 (downhill fertility from now as one of the (now retired) docs kindly informed me a couple of years ago when a went for the pill - got home in tears).

Anyway I was really pleased,he referred us to the fertility clinic straight away and we got an appt within a month! I read up here on what to expect but still tried to kid myself that we wouldn't have anything worry about and we were just one of the ones who would take a bit longer. The PMA took a bashing at the appt as I left the hospital feeling quite sick from the physical pain of my internal exam with them suspecting endo so I was being booked in for a lap and dye.

Anyway roll on 5 weeks found out yesterday that DH's SA came back low and today I had my scan and she was certain I have endo. Just feel a down about the double blow - defo having a bad week :cry:

Anyway trying to resurrect the PMA is difficult at the mo but one positive thing I suppose is the speed of our local hospital. I'm booked in for my lap and dye appt next Thurs so hopefully I'll know a bit more after that, just hope the speediness continues and we don't have to wait for weeks and weeks for the follow up appt.

Anyway thanks to all of you again. Even as a lurker it's been really helpful to hear what everyone elses experiences are as I feel more able to deal with things when I know what to expect and I really hope I don't offend anyone by saying it also helps to know we're not alone.

Replies

• Hiya hun

Welcome to the forum. Theres lots of lovely ladies on here full of great advice and theres always someone ahead of you in the "process" to help with any questions etc.

The positive thing is that whilst its not great news, you have answers now and can move forward with treatment.

Good luck with the lap and dye xx
  • Hello,

Sorry to hear of what you are going through. I have suffered endo & previously had 2 laps to clear this. We have also just started with fertility tests at the hosp as have been ttc for 12 months with 3 mc in that time. It is a scary time having to go through all this.

I wish you all the luck for your lap & dye & a speedy bfp xxx
  • Hi and welcome! Really hope you aren't here for long, for all the right reasons.

It's horrible to find out there is a problem... But at least when you know what you are dealing with, there is amazing help out there. Glad they are seeing you so quickly.

Re your OH's SA, there are lifestyle adjustments that can help. MrD's motility went from below par to acceptable, due (in part, I think!) to taking vitamins. The poor man rattles, but it's worth it!!

Best, best of luck.
  • Hello gjr, welcome to LTTTC, although as always am very sorry to have to be welcoming you here (not a place that anyone ever wants to end up!). As the others have said it is a really friendly and supportive forum. I too lurked for a long while before I started chatting and now I can't shut up!

Sorry to hear what you've been going through hon, but as the others have also said, at least now you know things can be done to sort it. It's amazing what can be done these days with fertility treatments and you never know you may get a surprise BFP in the meantime! Try not to worry too much about the sperm result yet as it is possible it was just a one off. They will probably want to do another one or two to check. Look forward to getting to know you better hon xx
  • Thank you all so much - thats a really kind welcome. Got me feeling tearful (in a good way) as I'm super over-emotional at the moment

We got a copy of the SA report through yesterday and I've been busy trying to assess the results. It looks like it's just the count that is low at 14 million/ml but excellent motility is 69%. Will carry on reading up but I'm taking that as better news as it only takes one eh?!

Hubby has taken me seriously now and this week has started healthy eating to loose weight and cutting the booze down to a couple of pints a week. I'm really pleased as although he isn't a heavy drinker he did exceed the recommended units for a man and is overweight so hopefully that will make a difference. Hoping I've also convinced him to stop using his heated seats in his car which he's been using more of recently to ease a bad back.

I know PMA is good but sometimes I get frustrated that hubbys PMA is unrealistic and simply hugging me and saying everything will be ok isn't going to fix everything, hoping his SA result keeps reminding him he needs to actually do something as well and hope he keeps it up as I don't want the "nagging" (I prefer to call it encouragement) to drive a wedge between us.
  • laujai - I'm so sorry to hear about your mcs, it's heartbreaking. I've just read your post and glad you are now getting the tests, although understandably scary.

MrsD - will also be taking on board the vitamin advice. I saw a list on a different post so will try and track it down and take a trip to Holland and Barrett - make the most of his willingness to change that has come over him this week :\)

• Hi thanks hun. Im glad you seem to be feeling a bit better. Like you say it only takes 1 there's lots of women who's DH have had SA results that had worried them & then gone on to conceive & are happily enjoying pg.

Good luck hun & im glad to see you feeling a bit more positive xxx
  • Hi gjr

I hate to sound like I work for the company (I honestly don't!!!) but we used Zita West's Vitamen ones. Hubbie has to take them three times a day (which is a bit of a nuisance) but the alternative was him taking one of each of four (?) different tablets. The ZW ones also cost a fair bit - ??18 a month, but they worked for us. I don't know how this cost compares with H&B.

Access Diagnostics sells the ZW vits (and other useful things like pre-seed) online and they offer a 5% discount. I think the September code is thank you.

By the way, your SA numbers are very close to the acceptable range (very active swimmers!), which is good news.

Best of luck.
  • Hey gjr, I agree with MrsD those sperm figures do not sound bad at all, and as you say it only takes one! With regards to vits, if you have a look at my other topis there is a post on 'agglutination' which has a list of vitamins from the zita west book. I have bought them all from holland and barrets and it was quite expensive. We spent around ??50, but some will last for 3 months. In retrospect I think the zita west ones may have worked out cheaper but only if you can rely on your OH to take them at lunch time! Good luck hon xx
  • Hi don't get a chance to get on very often - meant to be working from home at the mo but thought I'd take a few mins to catch up, will just have to work over a bit later!

Thanks for the advice on the vits - I've ordered the Zita West ones hoping that getting 3 down him a day may be easier - although he may have to get a lunchtime call from me everyday :\)

Think I've become obsessed over the last week! Now I feel better about the SA I've been re-playing the conversation I had with the radiographer when she did my scan. Trying to play detective and reading things into why she repeated questions about where I am in my cycle and what she did and didn't tell me. I hope that my lap and dye defo goes ahead on Thurs (was gutted when the letter only said provisionally booked, even though I know that is the norm).

Does anyone know if it's normal to get a chance to speak to the consultant (even briefly) after a lap and dye or do you have to wait for the follow up appt?

• Hi Hun
    I have only been coming on quickly over the last week as ive been away & also been poorly. Anyway, id just like to welcome you aswell to LTTTC. Looking forward to talking to you in the future.xx