Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Removal of Fallopian Tube - Help needed with recovery

Hi

Nearly 3 weeks ago I had to have a fallopian tube removed and also my otherside tidied up.

My consultant initially said the operation had gone well and after feeling quite rough for over a week or so I started to feel better. But then last week i woke up in agony. the area along my bikkini line was throbbing around one of my wounds and I felt so bad i went back to my GP. He said he thought it was jsut things moving around and healing. The next day I felt loads better, but again today I am really uncomortable again.

Before I go back to my consultant I just wanted to see if this is something that anyone else has been through and what your recover times were like.

Also my doctor has signed me off for 4 weeks, I have just over a week before I go back, and I can honeslty say that I dont feel ready. I havent even been able to drive as yet..

Any advice or experience anyone???

Replies

• Hi justttc,

I've not had the same operation as you but have had something similar. In January I had a cystectomy (cyst removed from my ovary) a laparoscopy and a hysteroscopy all in one go. When they removed the cyst, I had a drain put in to remove excess fluid and had an overnight stay in hospital.
    For a few days after the op I couldn't even sit up on my own but gradually began feeling better. I went back to work a week later (I'm freelance and wasn't getting paid!) and was still sore but able to be at work.
    A week later I was really feeling like I was recovering but then began to get very sore around the site of one of my incisions. It was weird because it felt worse than it did after I had the op! The area was quite swollen and agony to touch so I went to the nhs walk in centre and the doctor said it looked like it was getting infected and to bathe it in salt water and keep an eye on it. It didn't get worse but didn't get better so I kept my eye on it. I had another trip to the doctors and the nurse didn't bat an eyelid when I showed her, she said it looked fine.
    To cut a long story short, I was fine, the pain and swelling subsided a week or two later. It only started feeling better to the point I wasn't thinking about it anymore about 6 weeks after the op.
    These things just take time to heal, you just have to go with it and accept that after an operation your body will do its own thing in its own time. The only thing to watch out for is the obvious sign of infection (very hot and red around the area and feeling unwell) as you may need antibiotics.
    Bathe the area gently with salt water and don't be too alarmed that some days you may feel worse than others, its all part of the body's healing process.
    As for work, if you really don't feel ready physically to go back, talk to your doctor about how youre feeling and get it extended.
    Lastly, don't beat yourself up about not feeling well enough or not ready to go back to work. Its your body and you'll heal in your own time, it was serious operation and youre bound to feel unwell.

Skye x
  • Thanks skye

From what i can see there is no infection, and my mum is wondering if i have just overdone it a bit on the days before i have started with the pain again.

Just didnt realise that it would take so long.

Hope your all good now. xx
  • I just had mine done last Friday and I was wondering the same things.  I teach preK and there is just no way I have the ability to be on my feet as much as my job would require.  I was hoping to return Monday but just found out I have to have my doctor sign something they are mailing me before I can return.  Maybe it's a sign that I need to stop pushing my recovery so hard.