Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility

Help on Short Luteal Phase

The penny has dropped on what is now wrong with my body and all of my excitment and hope has gone - at least until I can speak to the doctor about it.

I remember at least one of you has said that they do ovulate - but becos of the high prolactin levels, the FSH gets inhibited and so the follicle doesnt develop properly, so that when you do ovulate the egg that released is immature and therefore no good for fertilisation. I also remember someone said that they miscarried on high prolactin levels because the luteal phase is short, and they ovulate late in the cycle, so there isnt enough time/hormone for the egg to implant safely???

I think this might be happening to me. Ive never ovulated while Ive been off the pill since March 07 and this month I ovulated last week. Im now 6 dpo and I have got very definate af pains - so af is very much on her way. This would mean that I ovulated late in my cycle? And then this would mean that the egg that was relased would be immature????

Has anybody had this and if so what have you been given to help with it? Im expecting clomid. But I was wondering if anyone might have been given progesterone to help with the luteal phase? This is just a theory so i might not be right

xxxxxxxxxx

Replies

• I have been for folical tracking and they advised that with pcos the egg does not develop properly, therefore it may be realsed but can't be fertilised as its not mature. I have had short and very long cycles and this is because of pcos. I am not the bog standard suffer either, I am a size 8 (I know lucky cow) no facial hair and I only get the a few spots, so I was shocked when I researched it... the only way you will know if it is the case is if your dr refers you for scanning - put the idea in his head, they will scan you on day 10, day 13-14 and when they see fit - you would know how big the egg grows etc.... the best thing though if this is whats wrong they can treat you - not cure but give you helping hand! hope this helps image:\)
  • Sorry couldn't be anymore help xx

[Modified by: littlem on August 06, 2008 10:18 PM]