Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Clomid update - it's working...

Morning ladies

Just to update you all, I've finished my first round of Clomid (with no side effects at all). I've been for follicle tracking, and it's been a bit of a rollercoaster ride to say the least!

The first scan they found a big cyst on my left ovary which they thought had been there for some time, so they were considering operating! Second scan, cyst still there and no action on my right ovary. Third scan, to our surprise, the cyst on the left had gone! Still no movement on the right though so the plan was to check again two days later then abandon the cycle. Well, I went in yesterday morning expecting to be told nothing had changed and there's two perfect follicles on the right, one 20 and the other 21 (are they big?), my lining is perfect and I'm just about to OV!

So, despite having prepared myself for the first 3 cycles to not work, I've done it first time! Now just got to catch the little buggers, wish me luck.

xxxx

Replies

• That does sound promising so keep up your PMA. i wish you the best of luck!!

xx
  • Hi Twinklestar

That sounds great, Yayyyy!
    Ive OVd this week for the first time in 4 months!
    Im hopeing to start clomid in Dec when i go to see consultant. My friend had 3 AFs in 2 years & hadnt OVd in all that time, she got BFP on her first round of clomid so ill keep my fingers crossed for you hun! xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • That sounds soooooo exciting!!!!! I hope you finally see that magical second pink line asap!!
  • Good luck on your Clomid journey! I hope it is a short one but don't forget if it doesn't work the first month, there is always the next.

Best of luck honey!

xx
  • Your follicles sound perfect size image They are ready to pop now... good luck hun, xxx
  • About to ov! Then what are you doing in here! Drag him off to bed!!! xxx hope this is your month xx
  • Hi Twinklestar
    when/how did your consultant decide to send you for follicle tracking?
    I don't really know anything about it.

I've had first unsuccessful month on Clomid (didn't OV), going to double my dose next month (got to have Provera 10 days, 3 days off, AF first) but he's not mentioned anything about follicle tracking and it does seem like I'm the one driving what treatment I get to a degree, so if this is something that may help I'd like to know more so I can suggest it to him.

thanks xxx
  • Yay twinklestar! Those follicles sound perfect so hop to it girlie!!

LEC, I don't have follicle tracking either. Not sure why, they just said they'd do 21 day bloods and see. Some places don't do anything at all for your first cycle, but it's definitely worth mentioning to your doc if nothing happens this cycle with the increased dose. Then maybe next cycle they can be sure if it's working for you or not. I also forgot to mention that the lovely RachieS told me to drink lots of water while on clomid. I drink my 2 litres per day normally so I didn't think I needed to up it but since I have the side effects have been a lot better, including my skin. I'm probably drinking over 3 litres a day now!

Best of luck clomid ladies!!

S xx
  • Hope you caught it twinklestar -?

LEC - Our consultant said it vaires depending on the hospitals (he implied it was due to waiting lists for scans and down to money).He said he wouldn't put someone on clomid without the scans - so they can monitor if any of the follicles get too large or over stimulation occurs and to give us the best chance of it working as they can see when ov is going to happen.

Looking around the web it seems they are more likely to do tracking if you have previously been diagnosed with PCOS or have been trying for a long time.

I would definitely ask for scans next time so you can get more information on what is happening.
  • Hey Lizzie J, I must be the exception to the rule! Been ttc for nearly 2 years and I have PCOS. I'm on my second cycle of clomid and I don't have follicle tracking. I don't think it's a bad thing to not have it, but if you would feel better having it LEC then definitely ask your doctor. I think particularly when a 21 day blood test has shown no ovulation it would be useful as then they can be more sure if you are ovulating or not. Ovulating late on clomid is very common so a 21 day blood maybe isn't the most accurate way to test if it's working.

Good luck sweetie

S xx
  • thanks for your replies -
    I had a scan about 3 years ago and was told I have cysts on my ovaries and fall under the PCOS umbrella, but didn't necessarily have it - woolly diagnosis isn't it.
    thanks for the tip about water, I drink quite a lot anyway like you SarahW, but will def up it as that's no effort!
    I'll see how I get on this month, and when I phone for the results I'll ask for the consultant to phone me this time, instead of his secretary (sure he was meant to this time, think it's shocking) and if I've not had my BFP I'll ask him about the tracking whether or not I've OV'd.

xx
  • LEC I've not even seen a consultant, I was referred to the fertility clinic by a private doctor and they carry out follicle tracking on the first cycle to check your ovaries aren't going mad. It seems we have a good level of treatment where we are as it's not standard practice.

And ladies, I don't think we caught either of the follies this month, I'm gutted but it does mean I can have a few drinks on holiday. x

• sorry to hear that twinklestar, have a great hol - some drinks & a lot of relaxation will do you good.

it does worry me about my ovaries going mad. I'd be happy with twins (or one baby of course) but I really got pain in my ovaries, similar at times to just before I needed to have my appendix out, just lower down on the right hand side, so if that happens again on this next attempt I'll have to ask.

nanight all, sweet dreams xx
  • Sorry to hear that twinklestar, have a good holiday with lots of relaxing ready to stimulate those ovaries again - hopefully it will work well again for you!

Sounds like the pain i get- I asked my consultant during a scan and she said it is stretching and nothing to really worry about and if I dont have serious symptoms not to worry. Did you get info with your clomid about hyperstimulation?

Some Syptoms of hyperstimulation are:
    Mild symptoms include:

Bloating
    Mild pain or discomfort in the abdomen
    Mild weight gain
    Mild nausea
    Diarrhea

More serious symptoms include:

Rapid weight gain, more than 10 pounds in 3 to 5 days.
    Severe abdominal pain
    Severe bloating
    Severe nausea (so much that you can't keep down any food or fluids)
    Dizziness
    Trouble with urinating
    Shortness of breath
    Rapid heartbeat
  • thanks for tht Lizzie J, mine are just the mild ones! Thankfully!
    I didn't get an information sheet no, I've read other people on here talking about an A4 info sheet. I was with the consultant 10 mins (if that) and was pleased that he was giving me a prescription for Clomid not fobbing me off, so I just happily accepted it.
    There's the normal little folded information in the Clomid box, but that's it.

not to worry, I'll see how I get on next month on the stronger dose.

xx
  • I just read online that